❀ Chapter 17

TIME was to my demise in this dark hour. It seemed as if it traveled ever slowly, when all I wished for was this dreadful period to pass. For the past few days I have confined myself to my chambers.

I did not have the courage to face any of them. I wasn't sure if I would ever find it in myself. The looks of disdain I received from Lady Stratford and the girls, plagued me. I knew Christopher and I's love would cause commotion.

But I fell into my own foolery, thinking I could brave the storm. When I crumbled at the first rainfall. Was this what is was like for my mother?

Her family too, was not pleased with her love interest. I ached to know how she managed to take such a leap with my father. Their future had to have been so uncertain. But despite all of it, they remained together.

Their love prevailed.

In this moment, I felt so weak. I could never be as dauntless as my parents were.

I yearned for Christopher to be by my side. A simple kiss or graze of my cheek could reassure me. Tears stung my eyes at the thought of it. I wondered how things unfolded after we left the townhouse that night.

"Would you care for another cup of chocolate?" Kitty asked as she collected my plate. Ever since that night, she has been delivering my meals to my chambers. She was the only person I could truly talk to. Alaina has stopped by a few times as well. She admitted how dumbfounded she was at first.

But immediately wrapped her arms around me. Now we both had dreams that seemed impossible to attain. She wished to travel the world, while I longed to be with someone who was never supposed to be mine. It only strengthened our bond.

Eventually, we would both find our light.

"No thank you Kitty," I offered a small smile.

"Are you sure? I know how much you adore it."

"I am," I nodded, focusing my gaze out the window. The clouds were becoming heavy with a darkened gray color. The sky would empty itself of it's sorrows any minute.

"Make yourself scarce you spotted girl," A demanding tone entered my chambers. I turned around and none other than Lady Stratford stood in the doorway.

Kitty obediently scurried out of the room, "As you wish, my lady."

When she left us in solitude, I stood from my desk with my hands neatly folded in front of me. I haven't had any interaction with her since she singed me with her seething words.

"Have a seat," She gestured toward my bed.

"Yes, my lady," I agreed submissively.

She took a seat beside me and stared into my eyes with her intimidating icy eyes. I shifted uncomfortably under the scrutiny.

"Oh Della what have you done?" She sighed with a shake of her head.

"I did not mean to hurt Astrid," I hoped that my sincere, pleading eyes would convey to her my truth, "She is my family. And that is the absolute last thing I would ever want to do."

"Do you love him?" She inquired with abruption.

"Very much," My voice shook in a whisper.

"My dear I'm afraid sometimes love isn't always enough," She shook her head slowly, "You will never be enough. Do you understand?"

My mouth was left ajar, lost for words. She spoke so calm and smoothly. Yet, her words were like sharp, deliberate daggers.

"Let me help you understand. Besides our family, you have no connections in society. Due to your poor upbringing, you cannot contribute anything. A man like Christopher needs a woman who is quite experienced in this life, and that is not you.

I know it is hard, because you fell in love with him. But listen child, if you love him like you say . . . You will let him go. Think about that," She rose a brow, stood up, and left my chambers promptly.

Her words were left whirling around in my head, torturing me. Now I was even more weak, and even more lost.

What was I supposed to do? I couldn't help but to see her valid point. He says he loves me now, but what if he later resents himself for choosing someone who came from nothing?

I wouldn't be able to bare the pain. Maybe Lady Stratford is right.

____________________

A/N - our poor del is doubting herself 😭‼️

votes/Comments are much appreciated!

truly hoped you enjoyed reading, stay tuned for what happens next! 👀

~ KVH