❀ Chapter 5

I HISSED at the tiny prick of the needle I was attempting to embroider with. In the drawing room, Lady Stratford, Astrid, Abigail and I, busied ourselves with embroidery.

Alaina was enthralled in one of her books. I studied the four them, each content in their activity. Lady Stratford wore a hard, concentrated countenance as her hands moved cautiously with each stitch.

I, on the other hand, desperately tried to save my travesty of a creation.

"Looks like someone needs an embroidery lesson," Abigail sang teasingly.

I breathed a nervous laugh, "I never used to do this often back at home."

"Silly Abigail," Astrid sighed, while keeping her eyes trained on her work, "You must excuse how she did not have a mother to teach her the way."

Abigail turned her head, Alaina looked up and Lady Stratford rose a brow. Her bold statement snatched every word from my tongue, leaving me speechless.

"What?" Astrid frowned, "It is only the truth."

"I . . . suppose you are correct," I managed to say. Alaina shook her head and returned to reading.

"You have quite a bit to learn dear child," Lady Stratford brung her intimating gaze up, "But not to worry, you have me. Follow what I do carefully."

I nodded and tried my best to follow the manner she moved her hands. How she completed each stitch with such ease. I bit back a hiss when I pricked my finger for the umpteenth time.

How long was this supposed to go on?

My gaze floated over to the piano. I ached at how much I wished to quit this embroidering and attempt to teach myself how to play. I wouldn't even know where to begin, but I was convinced it would put an end my misery.

I couldn't help but notice that Astrid looked especially presentable today. She was even wearing a pinkish lip salve, giving her plump lips a shimmery appeal.

The Arlingtons were arriving today.

My heart quickened. Just as I was growing used to the company of my estranged family, in enters another family - high in the social system.

Another family with a mindset that wildly differed from mine. Another family who would remind me I was thrown into my own uncharted waters.

A sharp gasp escaped my lips when the needle pricked me again. I had been so submerged into my thoughts, I wasn't paying attention to my doings.

"Good grief," Lady Stratford sighed with annoyance. My hands froze though, when I caught sight of a carriage on the long path.

"Um . . . I believe your company has arrived."

Astrid whipped around to the window so fast, it was shocking to me she didn't get whiplash. Her and Abigail exchanged looks of excitement and popped up from the sofa.

Abigail squealed.

"Compose yourself Abigail," Lady Stratford spat as she stood up. I watched as Astrid straightened out non existent wrinkles in her daisy yellow dress. Abigail swept rebellious strands of hair behind her ear. I smiled when I saw that Alaina shared no part in it.

"Would it kill you to show a sliver of emotion?" Disgust and aggression gripped Astrid's tone.

"Forgive me if I don't see the purpose in behaving like a half witted fool," She answered swiftly.

"Have you any manners?!" Astrid gaped.

"Quit your quarreling!" Lady Stratford intervened sternly. She walked toward the entrance of the drawing room and motioned for the girls to stand next to her, "Come, come! Make haste!"