Chapter 3: Highschool Losers

*BELL RINGS*
Beautiful, I'm already late for my first class...Math. Yay.
I quickly sprint to Mrs. Day's room, which is only at the end of the hall, thank god.
"Camila, late again, I see. Go sit down and follow allow for our warmup," Mrs. Day commands me.
I sit in the only seat available, the one right next to Mrs. Day. This is gonna be a great day...
~A FEW HOURS LATER~
Lunch. Finally!!!
I quickly run out the door, downstairs to my usual eating place, the classical side of the hallway. I look inside my lunchbox..an apple, pasta, and a granola bar. I take out my pasta and was about to open it till a familiar voice called my name.
"Camila, hey," I look up to see Shawn.
"Hi," I greet him in a unhappy tone.
"What are you doing sitting here by yourself..?"
"What else am I supposed to do..I mean shouldn't you be with your lacrosse buddies?" I whisper.
"Why are you whispering? And I think they're out on the field," he shrugs.
"Cause upperclassmen don't talk to loser freshman like me. And if they see you talking to me, it'll ruin your reputation," I explain.
"You're funny," he giggles, as he sits next to me. "Talking to a friend isn't gonna ruin my reputation."
A group of tall, built up boys wearing, North Troutman Varsity Jackets, approach us.
A redhead from my group laughs," Myers, what are you doing talking to this loser? You said you'd meet us out in the field like 10 minutes ago.."
"Sorry, Henry. I don't hang out with people that call my friends a loser," he shoots back.
"Looks like Myers found himself a loser girlfriend. Let's go guys," Henry leads the rest of the boys off with him.
"We're just friends..but whatever," Shawn murmurs.
"You know, you didn't need to do that. You could've just left with them if you wanted," I tell him honestly.
"And leave you here by yourself? No thanks," he assures me.
"You sure? I'm not really that worth it."
"Not according to yesterday," he reminds me," plus, I'd rather be a loser with you than a winner with them."
She just gives me a reassuring smile, while eating her granola bar.
~SHAWN'S POV~
"But your last name is Myers..?" She asks.
"Yes. But let's focus on the important thing here. You think I'm just another jerk on the lacrosse team..?" I get to the point and ask her.
She gets quiet," Not anymore anyways.."
"But seriously, you don't have anyone else?"
She shakes her head," I mean I did. And then she kinda left me after homecoming for new friends..and I've been sitting here ever since.."
"Oh..that explains the bridge.."
"What do you mean "the bridge" ?" She asks, confused.
"You seemed like you actually felt the heartbroken feeling while singing the bridge."
She looks at me with serious face.
~CAMILA'S POV~
He sees right through me. I wonder if this what Camila goes through...
"It's not a bad thing to talk to people about your problems, you know," he reminds me.
"Yes I know," I nod along.
He checks his phone," We got rehearsal with the band tonight. You coming?"
"Of course. Are you?"
"Hopefully. I got practice with the guys like an hour before," he sighs.
"It's ok. Lacrosse is important to you."
"So is music. Plus I haven't really sung a duet with anyone in a long time."
"Well you're welcome, Myers," she smirks. "Still the same initials."
"And Cabana,  still the same initials," I shoot back.
"How do you know my last name?"
"The yearbook is magical."
*BELL RINGS*
"Well it was nice talking to you, Mendes. See you later," I zip up my lunch box and start walking to English.
"You too," he says, getting up.
~SHAWN'S POV~
Hopefully I'll make to rehearsals...Thank god, I'm not late to Chem.
"So how'd go with your loser girlfriend?" Henry asks, as I sit down behind him.
"We're just friends.." I tell him once again.
"By the way, it's best if you don't show up to rehearsals..the team doesn't really welcome losers.."
Fun.
~CAMILA'S POV~ AT PRACTICE.
"Where's Shawn?" Danielle asks me.
"He might not come. He has lacrosse practice and homework, I believe."
"You two are becoming the best of friends.." I nod with agreement.
"So am I supposed to sing the bridge alone now or something?" I giggle.
"I could. I don't know it but it could be fun.." A voice from behind me replies.
I turn around to see a tall, brunette boy," Uh, sure. Let's get going then."
"Camila, right?" He asks me.
I nod," And you?"
"My name is Austin," he shakes my hand. "I've seen you perform a couple times, and you're pretty good."
"Thank you! I'm sure you're great too!" I compliment him back, as we walk into the band room with everyone waiting. We quickly get in front the mics. The drummers cout out their beat. And we started singing the song.
Wow, he's really good.
~AUSTIN'S POV~
Better than I remembered..
"Is there a chance I can join this duet and make to a triuet?" I jokingly ask Camila.
"I don't know what Shawn'd say to that..." She shrugs and laughs.
"Wait you go to North Troutman, right?" She nods.
"Oh that's why you seem more familiar. I saw you and Shawn today at lunch," I spat.
"Shawn never leaves me alone to eat my lunch," she giggles.
"Are you guys dating or something?" I straight out ask her.
"Um no, we are just friends."
"You guys wanna run that again one more time?" The band coordinator, Michael, asked.
"Sure," Camila agrees. I nod.
~SHAWN'S POV~
I come a few minutes late, and Camila already started without me...and with..Austin?! Ugh, I hope I'm not getting replaced.
"Don't worry, I don't think Camila would wanna replace you," Danielle assures me, reminding me that she was there.
"I don't know she seems pretty happy.."
"She's always like that.."
"Not at school she's not," I sigh.
~CAMILA'S POV~
SHAWN?!
I run out the band room door, running to Shawn," SHAWN?! YOU'RE HERE?!"
"About time you noticed, Cabana ooh na na," he teased.
I sigh, as I grab his hand," We have to hurry, practice ends soon."
"Shawn..? You're here?" Austin surprisingly asks.
"It's me," Shawn answers. "Looks like your job here is done, dude."
"See you around, Camila. Shawn," Austin leaves. Shawn grimaces as he leaves.
Uh..am I missing something?
~SHAWN'S/AUSTIN'S POVS~
Why did it have to be him of all people..?