Chapter 15: Tell Me Where You've Been

~SHAWN'S POV~

"Next time can you wait for me?" I find her backstage, after the performance. She had her back turned. She nods.

"What's wrong? I saw your tears," I change the subject, sounding very concerned. She wipes her tears. No answer.

"I knew Austin cheated!" I shout," I'm sorry I didn't tell you earlier-I just-"

"I know," she finally answers.

"What-"

"I know about the fight..I know that Lauren and Austin were there when we stopped at that gas station..--" She sighs, as she turns to face me.

~Camila's POV~

"..I don't understand," Shawn says in a confused tone.

"I know that you knew Austin cheated...I was there at the fight, I saw Lauren and Austin at the gas station-despite your efforts to make me not-you gave me so many warnings, but I just-"

"No, Camila, it's my fault. He's here tonight because of me," Shawn tries to convince me," if I just could've told you-"

"Shawn, it's because of me. I told him to back off, and he came back," I confess.

"What do you mean-what happened?" Shawn asks me.

"Remember the day with the box of chocolates?"

He nods.

"Well I wasn't mad about the chocolate-if you didn't get that already-but he paid me a little visit that day.."

I was walking home, like any other usual day, and there was Austin. Right in front of my house. And you know, I asked him," What are you doing here?"

"What? I can't even visit my girlfriend?" Austin asked me in a sarcastic tone.

"I don't wanna see you right now," I firmly told him.

"Is this about the chocolates?-I can always get you another box," he tried to play it off cool.

"You can drop the act, I know--we're through," I crossed my arms.

"I don't know what you're talking about," he shooted back.

"I know you're cheating on me with Lauren, ok?! Now please, leave me alone!" I yelled at him.

"Does your Shawnito know about this yet?" He snickered.

I shrugged, as I looked down," No. He doesn't. Not yet."

"This is rich," he laughed," your Shawnito isn't here to protect you this time-"

"I just need him to believe that we're real till I'm ready to tell him," I murmured.

He attempted to embrace me in a hug, as I back away," What're you doing?"

"Making it seem real," Austin said as he went in for a kiss.

I immediately shoved him back, " Just leave. You got what you wanted. Now leave."

He sighs," Fine. But don't come cryin' to me if something goes wrong with you and Shawnito."

"And I never want to see your face again." I boldly tell him, as he has his back faced towards me.

"I mean, you've already done enough damage to yourselves," he murmurs, as he walks off.

"I'm really sorry, Camila," Shawn starts apologizing," I know I can be protective, but it's only 'cause I care...I don't know what I'd do if anything bad happened to you."

"I should've understood that. But instead I just-I just," I burst out into tears, as Shawn embraces me in a hug," I just put myself on the line anyways. -I can't believe I was dumb enough to think that he could change-"

"It's not your fault, ok?-seeing the good in people is just something you do," he explains.

"You must think I'm so dumb-I actually thought-I should've just listened to you-" I was stammering, trying to hold in more tears.

We break apart, as Shawn looks into my eyes and holding my shoulders," Why would I think that my best friend is dumb?!" He quietly asks me. "I already told you, I rather be a loser with you than a winner with them."

I develop a little smile.

"Now stop crying. You're gonna make me cry," Shawn says, embracing me in a hug.

"Where would I be without you, Shawnito?" I murmur with a smile, hugging back.

"Definitely not here," Shawn says his thought out loud.

"Shawn, you did it again," I laugh.

"Whatever," he rolls his eyes and laughs.

Oh, Shawn. Tell me where you've been...