Chapter 8: Some Things Never Change

~CAMILA'S POV~
It's been about 2 weeks since I joined Austin's lunch group, and it's been fun..having friends and not sitting alone. But it feels like forever since I've seen Shawn--besides band rehearsals..we don't even talk anymore. And that's gonna chance 'cause tonight the iconic duo we are is reuniting and having the greatest time at the North Troutman's annual town fair.
~BUZZ~
And there's Shawn. Perfect timing.
Shawn: U READY?!
Me: OFC!!!
Shawn: imma be honest i thought u were going w austin
Me: he said he went outta town to visit his grandparents in Texas
Shawn: I never asked for his whole life story cabana
Me: i never asked for urs either & here we r
Shawn: thx for dealing w me
Me: no THANK U for dealing w ME
Shawn: hahaha tru tru
Me: we will be discussing this later mendes
It feels like things are actually normal for a change.
~SHAWN'S POV~
It's kinda hard to believe that Austin's actually outta town..I'll believe it when I see it. But for now, I'm glad that he's not here, getting closer and closer to breaking Cam's heart.
Cam: U KNOW WHAT I REALIZED?!
Me: WHAT?!
Cam: THE CONCERT'S IN LIKE 1 MORE WEEK!
This actually feels normal..wow. Good riddance, Austin. If you're really in Texas.
Cam: i really missed u shawn
~AUSTIN'S POV~
Cam actually thinks I'm in Texas? Wow, she really is the gullible type..
Lauren: u ready for the fair tonight?
Me: u know it babe
Lauren: do u think shawn figured it out?
Me: ofc he did
Lauren: hes bound to tell Camila
Me: he's not gonna want to hurt her so he wont
He gets more and more like an overprotective mother everyday. It's actually quite entertaining and annoying at the same time.
~Lauren's POV~
I told you, Austin could never like her.
Austin: <3 <3 <3
~Camila's POV~Later that evening @ fair
"Ok, so where to first?" Shawn asks me.
"Hmm, we'll go on the ferris wheel later..how about one of the booth games?" I suggest.
"Sounds good," he nods, as we walk over to Julia's dunking booth.
Almost as if he thinks I don't know about Julia...
~Shawn's POV~
And of course, Camila suggested it...
"So you remember me now?" Julia asks.
"Yes. Who could forgot the one person who's given me a free starbucks drink?" I chuckle.
"This is a dunking booth?!" Camila chimes in," Can we dunk whoever we want or is there a person already for the job?"
"I mean...I guess if you want to dunk Shawn," Julia shrugs.
Oh no.
~Julia's POV~
I thought Camila would be with Austin..? Well I guess not...
"I thought you'd be with Austin..?" I ask Camila, as she hands Shawn a towel.
"He's in Texas," she answers.
"Really? I thought I saw-" I cut myself off, as I see Shawn's face expression. "Nevermind then.."
I could've sworn I saw him a few minutes ago...with another girl.
"Well see you later, Julia," Shawn says, as Camila smiles and leaves with him.
He was with Lauren...of course.
~Austin's POV~
"You have a good time yet, L?" I ask Lauren, as she takes her attention off of her cotton candy.
"When are we going on the ferris wheel?" She wines.
"Whenever you feel--" I cut myself off, as I move Lauren and me off to the side, seeing Shawn and Camila.
"What was that for?!" Lauren bursts.
"Anyways, I think it's best if we should go later.." I try to change the subject.
"Why..Are they--"
"Yeah, they're here," I confirm Lauren's thought.
~SHAWN'S POV~
Austin thought I couldn't see him..should've known. But I'll just confirm it..when I really see something happen.
"Where to now..the ferris wheel?" Camila says, as she is clearly hiding her excitement for it.
"Since you've been asking me about the ferris wheel since we got here..let's go," I chuckle, as we head to the ferris wheel."
"YAYYYY!" She squeals.
"But first...bathroom break," I say, as I start to walk in the opposite direction.
"Fine. Meet at the ferris wheel," Camila agrees, as I continue walking.
Sorry, Camila. But I have to confirm if it's true or not...
---
I see..Austin at the photo booth with another girl...no it can't be. Maybe they're friends..? Why am I even defending the guy, of course, he's cheating.
"Austin, stop. You're literally going to make me look like I'm dying of laughter in every picture," the girl giggles.
"But happy looks so good on you, Laur bear," Austin giggles, as he pecks her cheek.
Wait that girl..she looks familiar..Lauren?! And Austin..why did even let Camila--I really want to punch you right now, Austin. And speaking of Camila...she's gonna kill me.
~Camila's POV~
I'm going to kill him.
"About time! I've literally been waiting here for the past 20 minutes!" I whine. "Where have you been?!"
"I got lost.." He explains.
"Well, I already got us tickets so," she shows me the tickets," we're the next round."
I feel like he's hiding something..
~Shawn's POV~
I hate lying, but..Camila can't go through another round of pain. She was so confident on changing him. And now...ugh.
"Shawnito, are you coming or not?" Camila brings me out of my thoughts, as the ticket master gives me a cold stare. I give him my ticket, as he opens the entrance gate.
--
"Be honest. Shawn, are you afraid of heights..?" Camila asks me, while we were high in the air to the point where we could see all the booths and rides.
"Um, no, why?" I ask her, as I turn my attention to her and not at the view.
"When we were handing in our tickets...you seemed lost," she sighs," you know, if there's anything you wanna tell me, you can tell me..I hope you know that."
"Of course, I do," I smile at her," And I know that if you wanted to tell me something, you can tell me.."
"So be honest, were you thinking about Julia..?" She develops a smirk.
I didn't answer, and she gasps," You're lost in japan with Julia!"
"Cam, shh," I shush her," she can probably hear you," I giggle.
"Shawn, you out of all people should know, that being quiet isn't very my strong suit," she crosses her arms.
"So..how are things with Austin and his friends?" I change the subject.
"Wait...are you jealous that I'm spending more time with them than you?!" She figures.
"No..I'm just asking," I casually reply.
"And you ditched your lacrosse buddies..--for me. --but I'm sure you started talking to them again, right?!"
"Camila, it's been fine, ok? I've been sitting with Julia, I'm ok," I assure her, as she develops another smirk," And I told you this already, and I really meant it, I rather be a loser with you than a winner with them."
She smiles at me," Thanks, Shawn."
"Of course," I smile back. "Anything for my duet partner and my good friend."
"I know we've only known each other for about like...a month and a half--a month--or for like  a short period time, but...Shawn, thank you for dealing with me, for making high school a hundred times better, being a loser with me, and..I know, Austin always calls you out for being such an overprotective mother, but..I really appreciate it. Thank you for being my best friend and the best duet partner," she gushes. "I mean--if we are best friends..at this point?"
"Best friends. I like it," I tell her, as we reach the ground.
And this is exactly why I can't tell you the truth, Camila Cabana.
We get exit the ferris wheel and stop walking till a nearby bench," Austin texted me," Camila giggles, as she reads her text," Can't wait to see you soon with two heart emojis.."
If I ever saw you get hurt, I don't know what I'd do.
~Austin's POV~
"I hope you know we got caught, Austin," Lauren informs me.
"Yes, I know. But he's not gonna tell Camila," I assure her," because he doesn't wanna hurt her," I mockingly explain.
"As long he knows..we're on the fence," she declares.
"On the contrary...I'm going to make sure he doesn't tell her," I smirk.
If he doesn't wanna see her get hurt, then he's definitely not gonna tell her.