11- Wake Up Call

"It's okay, Natsu."

My eyes snap open abruptly. The peace I had previously felt in my sleep vanishes all at once its absence leaves me cold.

Lucy looks at me from her place in my lap, tears falling from her eyes. Her lips are pressed into a small line, slightly tilted into a forced trembling smile as blood drips from the corner of her mouth and down her chin.

My hands start to shake and my gaze travels down to her stomach.

My eyes widen at the sight of the deep hole in the middle of her stomach. The smell of blood rises into my nose and I choke on a sob.

"I don't understand..."

My head whips around me frantically.

I spot Erza and Gray, both running off, going after something...or someone....

"Natsu...please..."

I look back to Lucy with wide, frantic eyes.

"You're going to be okay."

Her head shifts slightly in my lap and she groans. She raises her hand slowly, it shaking violently as she weakly brings it up.

I grab hold of her hand and press it to my chest.

"You'll be okay, Lucy. I promise you'll be okay."

She smiles and her eyes close.

"It's okay, Natsu..."

The world seems to freeze in one moment as her smile falls from her face and her features go slack. Her hand stops trembling and goes still in mine.

My eyes grow wide and I take a sharp intake of breath before choking on a sob.

"No, Lucy!"

My other hand wraps around the back of her neck and I lean my head forward, pressing my forehead against hers.

"Please don't go..."

Tears drop silently from my eyes onto her face.

I don't understand.

I was just with her...she was just alright. I thought that she would be okay...

I promised her that I would protect her...but I ended up failing. She died in my arms...again.

"No!"

My grip tightens on her neck and I shake my head.

"I won't give up Lucy! I'll never give up on you I swear."

I hold her body close to me, rocking back and forth uncontrollably.

She was just there. I swear she was just with me so how...

How did I end up back in the future...and why did she...why did it happen again?!

I can change it.

I swear I can change it.

I just need another chance...

I rock back at forth, tears falling from my eyes that are tightly shut, keeping myself from seeing the truth that's right in front of me.

"Please give me another chance..."

A light seems to grow in my vision and I open my eyes only to see Lucy's dead body slowly fading away as a light grows brighter.

"I'll save you this time, Lucy. I swear."