15- The Cause

"Natsu, get up!"

The horn going off is my cue to leave, to get off this train and go meet Lucy.

But this time I don't bolt up. I don't rush off the train. Instead I stay in my spot with my eyes closed, zoning Happy out completely.

The image of Lucy's fear filled eyes staring pleadingly at me flash in my head.

Guilt soars through me.

I left her there...I had shut my eyes and left her there.

No.

It didn't happen.

Me being on this train proves that...

But what am I supposed to do now?

I'm doing something wrong. But what?

Everyday I interrupt Salamander, I meet Lucy and then we head off to Fairy Tail, just like we're supposed to.

Just like I did all those years ago.

I met her all through coincidence, or what Lucy would call fate. Such a simple decision. All I did was grab her hand and do what she wanted. I invited her to Fairy Tail...but she died.

All of Lucy's hope and all of her dreams only to end with her dying a painful death.

Would she still see Fairy Tail as her dream if she knew what would happen?

I open my eyes and sit up in the seat. Happy looks at me with a desperate urgency.

"Natsuuuuu! Let's go!"

I glance at him and then look back in front of me emotionlessly. My body slumps in the seat and my eyes fall.

"No."

How could I not see it before?

"But Igneel might be here!"

Every time I meet her...

"He's not here, Happy. We're leaving right now."

Every time I meet her I eventually take her to Fairy Tail...

"But-"

"We're staying on the train, Happy! We're going right back home."

I take her to Fairy Tail and she eventually dies.

Happy hesitantly sits down but keeps quiet. I face the window, resting my chin on my hand.

If joining Fairy Tail eventually gets her killed then, in order to protect her, I'll leave her alone.

It was because of that simple decision that Lucy eventually got everything taken from her.

If she doesn't go to Fairy Tail, she won't go on any jobs that could get her killed.

She'll be alive.