12- Answered Pleas

"Hey, Natsu."

Huh?

I whip my head to the side where the voice came from and Lucy smiles back at me, the only other thing in this endless void I seem to be in.

"Lucy?"

I reach my hand out and take a step forward.

Her smile vanishes and her face morphs into one of pain. Both of her hands grasp tightly onto her stomach. She coughs and blood bursts out of her mouth in a spray.

"You said you'd protect me."

My eyes widen in horror and I shake my head vigorously. The pain vanishes from her face and her eyes set into a glare.

"Why didn't you protect me, Natsu?"

I run towards her but the distance only seems to grow. My feet pound on the ground attempting to get rid of the endless distance. Lucy shrinks as she gets farther from my vision until she's a tiny speck and then there's nothing but me.

I stop running and turn my head from side to side, desperately looking for her.

"I'll protect you, Lucy!"

My voice echoes back to me in the void.

"I swear I will!"

Silence follows and then the sound of a horn blaring echoes through my head.
-
-
-
"Get up, Natsu! The train's about to leave!"

My eyes snap open and I take a sharp intake of breath, pain erupting in my chest. I look around me wildly and grip the familiar leather seat.

Happy looks startled at my sudden movements and he leans away slightly.

"Geez, Natsu. We gotta go."

I shoot up from my spot, ignoring the uneasiness of my stomach and run towards the doors.

"Slow down, Natsu!"

I ignore him and jump out of the train, landing smoothly and racing away from the train.

"Natsu?!"

I close my eyes and keep running, the sound of my feet pounding on the ground echoing through my head.

This is it.

I'm back. Again.

I've been given another chance.

Right now I just have to get to that circle of girls and run through it to snap her out of the love charm again...

Wait.

What if she's not there yet?

The two times before this one it always takes me a lot longer to get off the train and get going. What if I'm too soon and she isn't even there until after me?

I slow down to a brisk walk. Tension grips tightly onto all of my muscles and I walk stiffly, unable to relax.

I've been given another chance...

So how am I supposed to use it?

I shake my head roughly. My hands tighten into fists and I speed up slightly.

I'm not going to let anything happen to her this time. I'll keep an eye on her. I'll do it as long as I have to to make sure she's alright...

I have to.

I can't go back.

I can't go back without Lucy with me.

I can't face anyone. I can't walk through those doors alone, the weight of Lucy's death and everyone's knowing gazes hanging off of my shoulders. Not until Lucy's walking through those doors with me.

We'll make it to the guild this time.

The crowd of girls comes up right in front of me and I take a deep breath, raising my arms up in front of me.

This time it'll work...but first I have to get through a few...formalities.

I burst through the crowd of people, bracing myself for the same beating.

———-
Happy New Year everybody!