34- Her Past 3 Years

The dim light that sits above the door to the inn shines dully in the dark. I stand outside the building a few steps into the street with my fists clenched and my head tilted downward.

"It sounds like it's a good thing you never brought her to Fairy Tail."

That's what I thought, what I believed. It's the one thought that's driven me through this and saved Lucy....

But why did it make me so furious when Gray said it then?

It was out of context sure...but that's not why.

Is it a good thing that I never brought Lucy to Fairy Tail?

I stare at the ground with wide eyes.

I don't know anymore...

It is a good thing. It has to be. She's alive now...that's better...even if it means she's-

My thoughts cut short as a smell drifts into my nose.

My head whips around to the side and a dark building greets me.

"I thought so."

My eyes widen at the voice and a figure slowly walks out of the shadows from around the corner of the building.

"You're a dragonslayer."

Lucy walks from the darkness into the streets where the light shines dimly on her features.

"Dragon slayers have very keen senses."

The words get caught in my throat and all I can do is stare at the girl in front of me.

She eyes me curiously.

"You followed us to the forest, but you didn't attack. In the park, I thought I recognized you...but I'm sure now."

I hold my breath in my throat.

"Natsu Dragneel, Fairy Tail member."

She remembers me...of course she does.

"We met years ago. I'm sure you don't remember but-"

"I remember."

Slight surprise shows on her face before she masks it and continues on.

"It's funny that we meet again. A crazy coincidence."

My lip trembles but I bite it to keep my emotions from overflowing.

You have to keep your cool, Natsu. You have to think about the way you talk to her.

I don't want to scare her off...

"Why are you here?"

She smirks and leans against the wall beside her.

"To confirm my suspicions. I had to see if it was really you."

She stares at me amused and I watch her for a moment before picking out my words.

"You're lying."

She raises an eyebrow.

"Hmmm?"

I know Lucy. I know when she's lying...even this one, though she's much better at it than she was.

There's a guild here for them, that could follow them. She's here to scope it out, to see how many of us and the risk level.

"Did your master send you back?"

Her walls drop for a split second, slight surprise shown in her eyes that I caught onto her lies. She masks it as quickly as it appeared and her expression is neutral.