28- Lonely

"We'll split up to gather information and meet up here at the inn before nightfall to discuss what we found and make a plan."

I mindlessly fiddle with the end of my scarf while Erza drags on. My back is against the wall right next to the door out of the room we've rented for the night.

"Natsu?"

I freeze and look up slowly at Erza.

"Yeah?"

"Were you even listening?"

"Yeah."

She raises an eyebrow.

"Then what did I say?"

I open my mouth to come up with something but decide against it and shut my mouth instead. Erza sighs and shakes her head.

"We need to take this seriously, Natsu. You go downtown and talk with some of the people there. Gray and I will go meet with the shop owners."

I'm already halfway out the door by the time she finishes and I shrug her off with the wave of my hand.

"Yeah, of course."

"Natsu I'm seriou-"

The door shutting cuts her off mid sentence and I shrug my shoulders when Happy gives me a look.

"You know, Happy, the good thing about our job is that we can do whatever we want."

He eyes me warily.

"Erza won't be too happy if we don't have any information when we meet up later."

I shrug his statement off with the wave of my hand as we walk down the stairs into the lobby.

"Don't worry, we'll come up with something."

He flies ahead and pushes open the door, a cool breeze flowing into the room. I walk out and he follows behind me.

We make a right out of the inne, walking along the sidewalk towards the center of town. People here and there are walking along the street.

I glance at Happy from the corner of my eye and bite my lip.

"Hey, Happy?"

He continues looking around him.

"Yeah?"

I open my mouth and close it.

Ugh.

I don't know what to say but it's been eating at me since that talk with Erza and Gray at the guild.

"Are we...close?"

Happy freezes and looks over at me. I stuff my hands in my pockets out of feeling awkward.

"What are you talking about, Natsu?"

I sigh and look around me at anything but him.

"Well you've been going on jobs with Wendy and Carla lately and we don't see each other as much."

I think. At least from what Erza said it seems like that's true but I wouldn't know. I don't know what happened in the last three years that I skipped.

"Of course, Natsu! You're my best friend! You should have told me that you were sad. We can go on a mission, just us. I like their company but just going on jobs with Wendy and Carla isn't very fun. They are very controlled and serious on theirs."

I smile lightly.

"Alright, Buddy."

He closes his eyes and puts both hands to his cheeks.

"Awww. Natsu missed me!"

My smile drops and I scowl.

"Don't go getting a big head, Happy. I've just missed having someone to fly me around!"

His expression deadpans before he smiles again and resumes his teasing.

"Oh, Natsu! You may seem dense but I always knew you were a big softy!"

I roll my eyes and groan in annoyance before picking up the pace and walking ahead of him. The sidewalk becomes slightly busier as we get closer to the center of town where all of the shops are. Happy continues to mock me from behind and I ignore him as I keep walking.

We turn the corner , lines of shops and restaurants on each side of the street down the next couple of blocks.

A smell drifts into my nose and I stop abruptly, causing Happy to bump into my back.

"Ow, Natsu. What the heck did you stop for?"

I whip my head from side to side, my nose sniffing the air around me.

"Do you smell that?"