Pity

Uult screamed. 

-------------------

Dabi had started massaging his right leg on two. 

Press, tense, inhale, exhale, relax, move.

He worked methodically and without pause, careful of the swollen areas where the bone broke, grinding his teeth at every sound gurgling from the other's throat. The boy's body was spazzing during the entirety of the administrations. 

Press, tense, inhale, exhale, relax, move.

Dabi pitied him; he was just another teen caught in the flames of his father's wrath. Dabi wouldn't kill him, oh no. If it wasn't for the wall dividing them, he would have Endeavor to suffer slowly—the price to pay dearly for his worthless existence. "Serves him right."

"D—ARGH!" The flame-wielder let go in fright. 

Trying to suppress his rage, he hadn't realized that his grip had tightened around the kid's knee. Guilt compiling even higher, not that he'd admit it, his fingers softened circles under the joint in attempted comfort. To his relief, it kind of worked; the kid's limbs trembled less.

Press, tense, inhale, exhale, relax, move.

This continued for what felt like hours. 

Press, tense, inhale, exhale, relax, move.

After a couple more minutes Uult reached out to faintly tap the older boy's arm, breath evening out slowly. He mumbled something unintelligibly. Dabi hummed in question. Uult tried again, his voice loud enough to make the words distinguishable.

" I-I can feel them. I-I can..." Uult choked down a sob, his breath shuttering out. "...feel ..."

"Hn." Dabi sighed, a small smile playing lightly on his face. His hands never stopped their movements, only moving down towards the ankles.  (Dabi had taken off Uult's shoes so that the blood vessels wouldn't be cramped.)

Press, tense, inhale, exhale, relax, move.

Only once the pyromaniac was certain that the boy ran no more risk of nerve damage, he stopped completely. By that time the crystal user had dozed off from exhaustion.

Tired himself, Dabi sat down, ruffling Uult's hair lightly out of pure instinct before catching himself and resting his hand at his side. Having nothing left to do, he closed his eyes. They weren't useful anyways. Listening to the light puffs of sound breaking the deafening silence, Dabi chuckled darkly.

"That bastard will have a fit when he wakes up."