One place on Earth - Levi x Reader

A/N: This is an AU story, placed in a post-apocalyptic world.

Warning: This chapter contains blood, bad language and death.

----------------------------------------------------

Your life was nothing more than just ordinary, oh so troublesome teenage girl's life with all the little drama that seemed so big back then. Having a breakdown if your phone's battery died. Arguing with your parents, just because they came into your room without knocking, freaking out about your upcoming exams, the lack of perfect clothing when you had an party to go to in the weekend. And oh boy, if your crush didn't text you back after fifteen minutes of waiting. Tragic.

Back then you thought your life was hard sometimes. You had no idea just how hard your life was about to get. Fear, death, devastation, a living nightmare. Complete hell on earth. Everything you knew, loved and cherished was taken away from you in just one day.

Everything was already beyond saving, before no one really knew it had even started. Someone had been infected, getting sick in a way like no one had ever seen before. Couple of them went to a hospital, someone went home, others just stayed alone. It felt like a fever, a really bad fever. It took about one day before they faced the end, taking the last breath, only to be awaken again. And that's when the hell broke loose. 48 hours after the first infected, the city was in a complete chaos.

You were at school, like everyone else, when you heard the school nurse screaming her lungs out in the corridors. Surely everyone knows what happens when a lot of people want to see what's going on. Crowd, fuss. Every hallway full of people, easy targets to the one student who died at the nurse's office, came back, and bit the poor woman in the shoulder. You ran. You ran to the school yard, to the streets, to your homes, just to see your family members being dead or just... different. And then you ran some more. You still do.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

3 years later

The city was dark, wrecked. Smoke was coming out from some building in the distance. Streets were covered in trash, blood and dirt, and every now and then, there was a corpse lying somewhere. There was a line going into a building, which was guarded by the military police who walked around the line, holding their weapons ready if someone decided to go crazy. The people were waiting on a line to get food or other supplies that they could afford to get.

There was a man at the end of the line, moving restlessly. He started yelling because the line wasn't moving fast enough and he was hungry. Two MP members walked to the man to talk to him. He kept raging about how unfair this system was, that how they were forced to live like insects and how he was sick of it. He suddenly jumped towards the other officer and tried to get his weapon.

The other ones on the line near him scattered away quickly. The three men struggled a while, before the second officer managed to hit the man with his weapon, making him fall on the ground. The two men dragged him away from the others. They pushed him against a building, backed away and shot him. The people were screaming and pacing around all scared and shocked, but a few loud commands from the officers made them return to their place again, and wait in silence.

You watched the whole scene, without any emotions going through my mind. It wasn't the first time you had seen someone being shot to the street like a dog, hell, you had seen worse. You were in a building at the other side of the street. You sat on a window shelf with your arms crossed lazily against your stomach, feet hooked close by for maximum comfort. You had seen so much death that it no longer made your stomach turn. Every day someone died surely, if not here, then somewhere else. It was a fact.

You remember being one of those who liked to watch movies and tv series's about dark worlds, filled with creatures that chased the heroes and no matter how bad it was, they always found a way to get by. How exciting it made you to see it, oh how much you wished that something exciting like that would really happen to you one day. Now You wish you could go back in time, just to smack the old you in the face with a brick for ever even dreaming about it.

You took a deep tired breath through your nose and scratched the spot on your head that was itching. Couple of strings of your dirty hair got stuck to your cracked fingernail. You looked at the crack, and bit the part off, not caring about how dirty you hands were. With a sigh, you jumped off the window and stretched your arms.

Where the hell is she, you thought as you walked to the other room, which was the kitchen, or what was left of it. You searched the cabinets, hoping to find something to eat, but there was nothing. Your stomach hurt for being so empty, but you just had to deal with it. You walked back to the living room, laid down on a dirty couch and closed your eyes.

-----------

You snapped awake as you heard the door opening behind the corner. instinctively, you rolled off the couch and took your knife from the back of you belt and prepared to attack.

"It's me, (Name)" a female voice informed by the door.

"About damn time, Hanji." you sighed, both relieved and pissed off.

You stood up and put the knife back between your belt, pushed the shirt hem over the weapon and walked towards the door.

"Hurry up and get in." you heard Hanji saying, and more footsteps followed hers into the flat.

You stopped, suddenly fully alert. "You're not alone?"

You slowly reached for the knife again and squeezed a hand around the handle. Hanji appeared behind the corner and you flinched a bit, almost attacking her. She stopped and gestured you to calm down as she saw the crazy in your eyes.

"He's a friend, take it easy. Something came up, but don't worry." Hanji said, trying to sound calm, but she wasn't fooling you.

She was looking messy. You noticed a new crack on her glasses and her t-shirt had some fresh blood stains on it. You were about to say something, when you saw a man stepping in the room. He was shorter than Hanji, about your height, not really looking friendly from the face. Your survival-instinct sounded an alarm in your head, and you quickly scanned the important things about this person.

He had a backbag on his shoulder and a gun holster at his belt. The clothes, meh, nothing unusual, just a pair of dark jeans and a black t-shirt. But, the fact that they looked so much cleaner than what most of the people's clothes were around here, made you frown. You looked at his face. Calm, unreadable, but most noticeably, cold. He didn't look the friendly type, but it was a rare quality in people these days anyway. His dark strands of hair covered slightly his gray eyes that stared back at you. You bet he was also doing the same threat calculation about your appearance.

"Who is he?" you asked, still holding a hand on your knife.

"This is Levi." Hanji said. "and like I said, he's a friend." she walked past you to take a peek through the window where you were sitting earlier.

You kept staring at the man. Levi put his hands in his pockets and glanced at Hanji, who was now looking through the stuff she had in her backbag, and then back to you.

"So, this is the brat you talked about?" he was talking to Hanji. "You're sure about this? We don't need any more trouble on our way."

"What are you talking about?" you glared the man. "What is going on, Hanji?" you demanded answers.

"Don't you worry, she can manage." Hanji replied to Levi. "(Name), I'll tell you... just, hold on just a moment." she then said to you, before she took a walkie-talkie from her bag and clicked it on. "How does it look?" she said to it.

"-Nothing." a cracking male voice answered from it.

"Good. Stay where you are and let me know if you see anything." Hanji said as she sat down on the couch.

"-I will."

You trusted Hanji, and it seemed that she trusted this man, Levi. You watched her staring down at her hands. She was thinking. Something was definitely going on. But, whatever it is, you dared to assume you all stood on the same side. You decided not to poke anyone with the knife, for now. You took the hand away from the weapon and turned to Hanji, remembering another important matter.

"Did you bring the food?"

Hanji's eyes widened. "Oh shit... No, sorry. We ran into a couple of soldiers and we had to run. It was a mess." she said, looking sorry.

You pulled you head back in frustration. "Well isn't that just perfect." you sighed and dropped yourself to the couch next to her.

"Take this."

Levi was holding a piece of bread in his hand, which he just took from his backbag. You stared at the man, not believing your eyes. He raised his eyebrows and slightly nodded as to say 'go ahead'. You took the small piece of bread and bit into it. It was dry and tasteless, but it was the best thing you had eaten in days.

"Thanks." you muttered with you mouth full.

Levi walked to the wall and leaned his back against it. "So what's the plan now?"

Hanji had taken her glasses off, carefully trying to clean them without making more damage. She placed them back on and folded her arms. "Well, since they're dead -"

"Who's dead?" you interrupted her.

"Thomas and Mina." she said and continued before you had a chance to do anything else but stare at her in shock. "Like I said, we ran into a couple of soldiers. Things escalated a little and we ended up dodging bullets. They got hit, and now, since we're a little short in men... I think things are going to be a bit harder for us."

"Or easier." Levi said. "It's a lot easier to move in a smaller group. We won't draw that much attention." he continued, looking at his feet.

"True, true." Hanji nodded. "but it's not safe, especially here. I think it's time to go back."

You slowly turned your head to look at her. She didn't quite make sense to you. "Go back? What are you talking about? You live here?"

Hanji noticed the wondering look in you eyes. "Actually, I don't." a quick smile crossed her face. "I couldn't tell you before I knew I could trust you, and even after I did, I suppose I didn't want to put you in danger. We need to go back to our people, Levi and I, and I want you to come too. Unless, of course, you like it here so much that you'd rather stay?"

This zone is the worst place you've ever been. "No way in hell I'm staying here." you said, "but, where are we going to, exactly?"

"You'll see. Our place is far away and the road is dangerous... and we don't have the ride anymore, thanks to the MP." she said quietly.

*H-Hanji, shit t-- ere--* a rough voice sounded from the walkie-talkie.

Hanji quickly grabbed it. "What is it?"

"They followed us after all, there's a lot more than before. You have to leave now... shit!!--"

You heard gunshots and shouting coming from the other line.

You looked at each other for a couple of seconds, before you all realized what was going on.

"Time to go!" Hanji jumped off the couch, not even trying to hide her panic.

You quickly started gathering your things. Levi rushed to the door to keep an eye on the corridor, while Hanji was going through the cabinets to take everything she could. You ran to the bedroom and reached your hand under the bed to get your backbag. You quickly checked it had everything inside as you ran to the door where Levi stood waiting.

"Hurry up, shitty glasses!" Levi hissed as loud as he dared.

"I'm coming!"

She finally arrived, carrying two big bags on her shoulder. You entered the hallway. Levi turned to the direction where they came from and you were about to follow him, when Hanji grabbed your shoulder.

"No, this way"

You turned around and followed her to a staircase.

You went to the upper floor and she guided you at the end of the hallway, through the last door on the left which she pushed open. She ran to the living room window, which was covered by some clothing and she jumped to the other side. You hesitated for a moment. You lifted the cloth and you could see that there was a fire escape behind it. Hanji was already climbing up the stairs and you hurried to follow her.

You arrived to the rooftop, but you didn't stop. Hanji rushed you and Levi to keep following her. She ran to the edge of the roof and ducked down to lift a long construction plank from the ground.

"You had this all figured out, huh?" you panted as you came next to her and helped her to place the plank so that you were able to use it to go across to the other building. The other end of the plank landed against the edge of the other roof with a loud bang.

"Heh, I had a hunch that this day would come some day. You can never be too careful." Hanji puffed and jumped on the plank.

You looked over the edge to see just how high up you were. It was a long way down. Hanji reached to the other side and waved you to follow. Levi and you looked at each other, both breathing heavily.

"You first, hurry." Levi said and checked behind his shoulder if anyone was following.

You climbed on the plank and carefully stepped forward. Needles to say, you were freaking out and the wind made it really hard to maintain balance. The plank was just wide enough to fit both of your feet on it. You finally reached to the other side and jumped to the roof with a big relieved sigh. As you stood up, you could see that Levi was already half way there, basically running on the plank. You thought he was brave, or crazy. Probably both.

Hanji pulled the plank to your side of the roof. "Come, come." she hurried, and you were once again running.

You repeated the same method to go across two more buildings until you set foot on an abandoned shopping mall. Hanji opened the door which led a the staircase and you hurried the stairs down to the ground level. You stopped at an emergency exit, catching your breaths. The soldiers appeared to the rooftop, which you first left when you were going across the second building. Since they realized that they can't get across, they went back to find an alternative way to catch up with you. They were probably running around the streets nearby right now.

"Say, Hanji, why exactly are they being so eager to catch us? What the hell did you do?" you panted, resting your back against a wall.

Hanji and Levi looked at each other.

"She doesn't know?" Levi asked from Hanji, seeming to find this information troublesome.

Hanji shook her head, leaning her palms against her knees.

Hanji looked at you, knowing that she had no excuses left. "Alright, you see, (Name)," she breathed. "I, we both, we are Freedom Seekers." she said and straightened her back.

You frowned, trying to get the pieces of her words together, having trouble to concentrate for being so exhausted. "Freedom Seekers? You mean the rebels that all the soldiers are talking about here? The ones who try to fight the policed zones?" you spoke up your mind, finally starting to see the bigger picture of why this is happening.

"That's right. I should have told you, but I didn't want you to get involved in all of... well, this." Hanji gestured at your very presence. "Today, when I told you that I was going to get food, we were actually checking out the zone's weapon arsenal. We were supposed to smuggle out as many guns as possible, but then we had... company, heh." she smirked.

"Stop laughing, asshole. It's because of your big mouth that we got the guards' attention to us in the first place." Levi stood in front of her and gripped her collar.

"I guess I got a bit too excited back then, sorry." she babbled quickly.

"You better work on that sorry when we get back Home. I'm pretty sure everyone of our people here are dead by now." he hissed at her. "The families will be crushed once we get back without them, you know that, right?"

Hanji kept her mouth open, but she didn't know what to say. "Y-you're right, we... I messed up."

"Hey, can you settle this somewhere else?" You walked to them and pushed them away from each other. "We are not safe yet, right? Where do we go next?"

"Tch," Levi reluctantly let go of the issue.

Hanji was quiet for a while, trying to think. "Alright, here's what we're gonna do. (Name) and Levi, you go to the east side of the town, where you'll use the large sewer line to get out of the quarantine zone while I'll --"

"Oh fuck you, four eyes. Do I look like a babysitter to you?!" Levi was ready to fight her again.

"Excuse me?!" you stated with wide eyes.

Levi ignored you. "I don't have time to watch over some helpless girl --"

"Hey!" you pushed Levi from his shoulder. "Who do you think you are to call me helpless?!"

"GUYS!" Hanji shouted, making you both stare at her. "Levi," she continued calmly. "I have to get the documents. They're at the opposite way and it's too dangerous for us all to go there together. I know this city like my own pockets and you'd only slow me down. You go ahead first and I'll catch you up later. OK?" Hanji suggested. "We can't go back empty handed. All those people died for nothing if we do."

You all were silent for a while, thinking about your chances. Levi kept his eye on Hanji, and clearly something that she said ticked in him, resulting a calm sigh leave his nose.

"Fine." Levi agreed. "Where do we meet?"

"The house." Hanji took a folded piece of paper from her bag and gave it to Levi. "The route is different from the sewers, but I've marked the way in this map. Take what you need, but leave something for me. If I don't show up in two hours after you get there, leave and keep heading back Home."

Levi checked the map, and put it in his pocket. "We better keep going." he then turned to open the door slowly. He checked the surroundings before you stepped out into the alley.

"OK, I'll go this way" Hanji pointed to the other side of the alley. "and you go there." she turned her arm to the other way. "Be safe, and good luck." she said before she turned on her way.

You watched as she disappeared behind the corner, then, you and Levi looked at each other.

"Don't get in my way." Levi grunted.

"Don't get on my nerves." you snapped back.

You glared at each other, when you suddenly heard the soldiers shouting commands at the street nearby and all the tension between you was gone in a second. He took a hold of you arm and guided you in the direction you needed to go.