One place on Earth - Levi x Reader - part 12

A/N: This story takes place in a post-apocalyptic world.
This chapter contains bad language and violence/gore

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The cold breeze threw pieces of paper around the quiet streets. Their destination was right ahead of them. A small police station. The few people who were walking on the streets, gave concerned looks towards Annie and Levi, feeling sorry for them, but they didn't care enough to try to help them. They didn't want to interfere with the authority. They still valued their lives. The people either turned on the other way, or just simply walked past them without making eye contact.

"Tch, this place makes me sick." Levi muttered quietly as he watched the miserable people.

"Shut up. You're arrested, remember? Act like one." Marlowe hissed behind him, trying to see if anyone was looking at them suspiciously.

"You don't have to remind me, idiot, and it's not like these people are listening."

"It's not the civilians I'm worried about. Don't say another word for now, we're here." Marlowe spoke quietly, trying to minimize the movements of his lips so that the soldiers at the building couldn't see that he was talking to them.

"Oh? Marlowe, what's this?" one of the soldiers spoke up at the entrance.

"They were causing disturbance. I thought that maybe having a few nights in the jail would remind them how to behave." Marlowe spoke monotonously.

Both of the soldiers looked at him with wide eyes.

"Wow... so you've finally grown some balls to act like a soldier." the other one smirked mockingly, before his eyes wandered at Levi and Annie, who were looking down at their feet. "Where's Dreyse? Wasn't she with you?" he then asks as he realizes that she's not with them.

"She's in the eastern section. She wanted to stay and make sure that things stay in order." Marlowe answered, and then he pushed his weapon against Levi's back, signaling him to move forward.

Marlowe didn't want to stay in this spot for any longer than it was necessary. They stepped up the stairs, past the two soldiers. They entered the building, walking past some more soldiers who were loitering around the lobby area, killing time with card games or just chattering.

They glanced towards the two faces that were walking in front of Marlowe, but soon returned to their activities, since it was normal for them to see people being brought here to get locked up for one reason or another. They arrived to a door, where they saw a man sitting behind a small table with his legs raised on top of it, snoring.

Marlowe cleared his throat, making the man snap out of his sleep. "These are going in." Marlowe informed sharply.

The man gave Marlowe a glare, being annoyed that his sleep was interrupted. He groaned and pulled his legs from the table and reached his hand in his pocket.

"Goddammit..." he muttered as he stood up from his chair and straightened his aching back.

He opened the door and kept it open, letting the three of them walk past him, before he followed them in the hallway. Marlowe gulped, knowing that they were about to make their first move, and he was nervous. Levi and Annie glanced each other from the corner of their eyes. They walked on a long hallway, seeing a row of closed doors on both sides of the walls.

"Right here." the man said lazily, and stopped by one of the doors.

He opened the lock and held the door open. He was staring at Levi, who just stood on his spot with his hands raised.

"Well fucking hurry up." the man growled and took a hold of Levi's shoulder, ready to push him inside, and that's when Levi took his chance.

With one quick move, he reached his hand at the man's head, hitting it against the door frame and the man fell on the ground, blacked out. Without wasting any time, Levi reached for his keys and stood up. Marlowe was looking at the unconscious man, concerned about where he had just gotten himself into.

He shook the imaginary off his head and started going through the doors, opening the small peek holes to see the person inside. Annie and Levi followed his example and they scattered around the long hallway, looking for Hanji. The people inside some of the rooms had started to get a little restless about the noise.

"What's going on?"

"Let me out!"

"Who's there?"

The hallway started to get even noisier. Marlowe was getting nervous that soon there would be other soldiers coming to see what's going on here. Levi was thinking the same thing. He hurried his search, having a feeling that things would get messy. He stepped before another door, looking inside. His heart skipped a beat. There she was. Hanji was lying on a bed in the dark room, with her wrists cuffed. Levi struggled with the keys, trying to find the right one to fit in the lock.

"You found her?" Annie rushed herself next to him, looking inside the room as Levi was still trying to open the door.

"Fuck this shit." Levi hissed through his teeth as he was getting frustrated for not getting the door open.

Finally the door made a clicking sound, and he pushed it open roughly.

Hanji jumped off her bed, backing away to the wall. "Don't come any closer, you motherfucker!" she quickly hissed towards the door, expecting to see a soldier to take her to another interrogation.

She stared at the door, first seeing only the silhouette of the person who opened the door. She blinked a few times to make her vision to adjust to the sudden light. Her jaw dropped. She started shivering. Not in a million years she could've thought to see that face again.

"Levi?" Hanji narrowed her eyes in disbelief. "Is it really you?"

"Yea it's me. Since you seemed to lost your way out of this damn city, I had to come back and get you myself." Levi snarled from the door, but dropped the joking as he really looked at her. "You Ok?"

"Yea, I'm just fine." her voice came out raspy and shaking.

Hanji was covered with bruises and cuts. Her clothes were dirtier that ever and her appearance was different from what Levi was used to see. The normally so strong and confident person was now shaking like a leaf and looking like she had lost all hope. The sight made him feel absolutely furious. Levi decided that if he ever comes face to face with the people who had done this to her, he would rip their throats with his bare hands.

Levi turned his head towards Marlowe, who was looking over his shoulder to the door, which he feared to be opened anytime. "Oi, you have keys to those cuffs?" Levi asked.

"Yes, right here." Marlowe turned around and reached the keys to Levi.

Levi made his way to Hanji. She was overwhelmed with all the emotions, crying and laughing at the same time.

"You came... I didn't think I would never- Oh my, this is- I'm sorry- I'll never mess with your tea again- Oh, I'm so happy to see you--"

"Yeah yeah, you can kiss my ass later, just listen -" Levi said over her crazy babbling, being busy with getting her hands free. "Your buddy, (Name) is immune to the virus. We need to get you out of here so you can figure out how the hell it's possible." he said, trying to get her distracted from the messy state of mind.

"She's WHAT?!" Hanji gasped. "Really? Are you for real? Oh shit! This is incredible! Ooh, I have to see her, I have to do some tests, I have to--"

"For fucks sake." Levi sighed quietly, already regretting that he opened his mouth.

Marlowe watched the two of them in concern. "Are you sure she's the one you talked about? She seems a bit, uh..?" Marlowe pointed his question to Annie.

Annie clicked her tongue. "Yes, she's the genius one... imagine that."

"Can you walk?" Levi asked as he got her cuffs off.

Hanji staggered a bit. She limped her left leg, but it didn't seem to bug her too much. She made her way to the door, eyes sparkling in excitement, never bothering to answer his question. Levi rolled his eyes, following her out of the room.

"Alright, we can't just go back the same way, those people know her face." Marlowe pointed his head towards Hanji. "We need to go around the back. There is an emergency exit, but we can't be sure that that way is clear either.

"Fine, we better--"

They suddenly heard the door lock click at the end of the hallway, from the direction where they meant to leave. The door opened and a tall male entered the hallway. They all stood still, staring at the man who managed to surprise them. The man turned his head forward, seeing the really suspicious looking scene in front of him. He recognized the soldier.

"Marlowe? What's going on here?" he asked carefully.

Annie gasped.

"What is it?" Levi whispered quickly, not taking his eyes off the unknown man.

"Bertholdt?" Annie spoke with the breath she let out.

"You know this fucker?!" Levi asked, now looking at Annie.

"A-Annie?" The soldier stuttered with a weak voice.

"Yeah, I used to move with him and Reiner back in the days, but we got separated at some point when things got a little messy." Annie explained. "What the hell are you doing here?" she continued, pointing her words to the confused looking male.

"I- I'm just... surviving. What is going on here? How are you here, and why is she out?" Bertholdt asked, looking at Hanji.

"We don't have time for this..." Levi hissed quietly, trying to figure out a way out of this situation.

Marlowe stepped forward, making a hand gesture to follow him. Bertholdt watched as the group was getting closer. He hesitated, knowing that they were getting the prisoner away, but he didn't want to start fightin, since his friend was among them.

"Bert, just let us walk out of here." Annie spoke to him as they reached on the same spot with him.

"I- I can't... Marlowe? Are you letting this happen?"

"I am, there's a bigger purpose behind all this, trust me." Marlowe said calmly.

"Annie, where have you gotten yourself into? I- I'm sorry--" Bertholdt said and reached for his weapon.

Annie took a quick move towards him, taking a hold on his jacket and she landed a kick behind his knees, making him trip on the floor.

"GO!" Annie yelled. "I'll buy you some time, get the hell out of this place!" she managed to say, before the man recovered his trip and he wrapped his arms around her.

"Annie!" Hanji struggled towards her, but Levi stopped her from getting any closer.

Marlowe rushed to the door to hold it open. Levi looked over his shoulder, trying so say something to Annie, but she just waved her arm.

"I'll be fine, just leave while you still can!" she hissed in between her struggle.

Reluctantly, Levi yanked Hanji with him and they disappeared behind the door. They moved across to another hallway, finally seeing the door with the exit sign above it.

"This is as far as I can go without getting myself into more trouble, but I'll go back and try to help your friend. You go, and head to the right, you'll get back to the street where we came from... the rest is up to you. I really hope you can make it, for everyone's sake. Good luck." Marlowe said and turned around to go back.

Levi looked over his shoulder. "You're not a complete asshole like the rest of these people. I hope you'll figure out a way out of this mess." he gave his thanks to Marlowe.

As Marlowe disappeared from their sight, Levi turned his attention back at Hanji. "Can you run with that leg? This is probably gonna be a marathon from now on."

"Don't worry about me, I'm fine. Let's do this." she said, trying the weight on her injured leg.

Levi pushed the door open and they stepped outside. Two soldiers were standing at the corner of the building. Their laughter stopped as they noticed the two faces rushing out of the door. Everyone stood still for a couple of seconds, staring at each other, before the reality hit them. The soldiers started pulling their weapons from their shoulders, and Levi took a hold on Hanji's arm, before they turned on the other way towards the streets.

A row of bullets were shot behind them, but they managed to hurry behind the corner unharmed, getting back to the main street. They continued their way to the other side of the street, wanting to get away from the sight. More shots were fired and more soldiers started appearing on the streets, wanting to see what caused the fuzz.

They heard yet more gunshots, but these came from a different direction. Levi looked at the alley ahead of them, seeing three figures behind large trash containers, firing towards the soldiers and providing them some cover to run safely across the street. They rushed to the alley, behind the same cover with Mikasa, Reiner and Eld.

"I thought I told you to stay in the building." Levi said and took deep breaths on his spot.

"You're welcome." Eld smirked.

"Aww, you all came for me?" Hanji sighed emotionally, looking at all the familiar faces.

"Save that for later, we need to move." Levi helped her back on her feet, and they rushed behind the building.

"Hey, where's Annie?" Reiner asked as they had started running.

"Things got a little messed up, she's still there with Marlowe." Levi answered him as they kept running.

"You left her behind?!" Reiner couldn't believe his ears.

"Tch... This one soldier came and Annie said she knew him. They started fighting and she told us to leave and that she could handle the man, we couldn't help it."

"Who? What man?" Reiner narrowed his eyes.

"Some tall motherfucker called Bernard... Brandon, I don't fucking remember."

"Bertholdt?" Reiner's eyes widened.

"Yeah, that's what it was -HEY where the fuck you're going?" Levi yelled as Reiner suddenly turned around and started running back.

"I'm not leaving her behind!" Reiner yelled without looking back.

"Reiner, REINER! Goddammit!" Levi tried to yell after him, but it was no use.

The soldiers came behind the corner and started shooting in their direction. Levi checked over his shoulder as Reiner disappeared to the alley on his left, before he focused to get their own asses out of the bullet rain. They were getting closer to the corner where they needed to make a turn. A bullet flashed right beside Levi's ear, taking a hit on Eld's neck, who was running ahead of him.

Eld fell to the ground and Levi almost tripped himself on his body, but he managed to jump over him. Levi tried to crouch next to him in order to help him up, but the flashing bullets hitting on everything around him made it impossible to help the man. One of the bullets scratched his left arm, making a deep cut near his shoulder. Levi's instincts were telling him to back away. He took a quick look at the large amount of blood spreading wide on the ground. Thinking that Eld was probably dead already, Levi forced himself to turn around and leave him behind.