One place on Earth - Levi x Reader - part 14

A/N: This story takes place in a post-apocalyptic world.

This chapter contains bad language, bad writing and violence. Also, smut alert!

----Two weeks later----

"Are you sure?" you asked, looking at Hanji's notes, confused.

"Mm-hm."

"But, wow, this is amazing!"

"Ahh, I know!" Hanji squealed in excitement. "I still have tons of things I need to check! But I have to wait until they get the generator working again so I get power to this baby." she pat her hand against a large machine with a computer screen attached to it.

You had no idea what it was, but you weren't interested of hearing a two-hour lecture about its functions, so you decided not to ask.

"But with the information I've gathered from the blood sample, I can tell you, that you're not going to turn into one of them." Hanji said and stretched her tired arms with a groan.

Your eyes followed the messy writing on the notebook pages. The pages were filled with medical glossary and calculations that didn't make any sense to you, but you didn't really read it, so it didn't matter. Your mind was focused only one thing;

You weren't going to die.

Five days ago, Erwin left with Mike and few others to find some supplies since they didn't want to put the rescue group straight to another task. They lost two people on their search, but it was worth it, or that's what they told themselves to feel better. They managed to find pretty good stuff, and most importantly, they found fuel. It wasn't much, but enough to get the generator work. The power was on just for about an hour, but it was better than nothing. Hanji managed to have a look of your blood and run a few quick tests, before the power went off again.

After that, she'd spent almost all her time in the lab going through the gathered information, relying on the available books, her knowledge and endless notes, until she was finally sure about the results. Today, you were bringing her food, since she was so focused on work that she didn't remember to eat unless someone reminded her. You showed up in her lab with a her lunch, and that's when she jumped off her seat and told you the good news.

You closed the notebook and brushed your hair back with your fingers. Hanji was leaning against her chair lazily, looking at you with a grin. You pushed yourself off the table you were sitting on, and walked around the room.

"Holy shit." you wondered quietly.

"I know. Congrats, the virus wont kill you. You get to keep on suffering in this fucked up world like the rest of us." you heard Hanji's voice behind you.

You turned around to give her a smile. "I think we should tell the others about your discovery."

"I second that." she smiled.

You took your leave and headed towards the room you and Levi shared.

"Levi?" you opened the door, but he wasn't there.

You turned around and walked back the hallway, until you reached the room which Erwin used as his office. You knocked the door, but no one answered. You hesitated for a moment, but this matter was important enough for you to have reason to be rude, and you slowly opened the door. The room was also empty.

"Did you find them?" Hanji spoke from the hallway.

"Nope. Not here." you closed the door.

"Typical. It always turns into a Where's Waldo -game when you actually have news to tell." she joined you by the door. "Hmm, I also need to have a word with the people at the infirmary" Hanji scratched her hair. "Let's try our luck downstairs."

-----------------

You sat on the hallway, resting your eyes for a moment while Hanji was talking to Rose and the few other doctors about her results. You decided to wait outside Rose's office, keeping watch for Levi or Erwin. They didn't show up in the lobby you kept your eye on, and eventually you got tired of waiting. You stopped a few people passing by and asked them to spread a word to those two that Hanji had news to tell.

You listened the conversation in the background, nearly drifting to sleep, when your ears caught pair of footsteps closing you from your right. You opened your eyes and saw Levi and Erwin walking towards you. You sighed.

"Took you long enough."

"Is something wrong?" Erwin asked.

"No." You shook your head and raised on your feet. "It's actually the opposite." you began, but failed to continue the matter. "What happened to you? Where have you been?" you asked Levi, seeing a few blood splatters on his shirt.

Levi looked at the stains, before his eyes met yours again. "We were checking the sound alarms on the path to the lake. Those rotten bastards had broke the wire from a few places and we had to stay and repair them. We had company, but it was nothing big."

You crossed your arms and nodded quietly, giving them both a few looks of concern. "Alright. Well, as I was saying, we've got some new for you." you turned to face the office. "Hanji! They're here."

It was, as expected. Hanji was in her element, telling a big detailed story about the results of her research. She did get to the point eventually, telling them that you were officially no longer in death-threat.

"...And you're absolutely sure?" Erwin spoke from his seat.

"If she was going to die, it would've already happened. Unlike all the other cases, her body seemed to have neutralized the virus as soon as it was spread into her." Hanji took a small pause, and leaned her elbows on the desk in front of her.

"I saw it happen when I ran a test to see how the infected blood acts after making contact with hers. Her cells didn't just simply kill the virus, like how our immune system usually fights against microbes that appear compromising. In this case, the virus was being more like absorbed, mutated, if that describes the best of what I saw happen. The effect was almost immediate, which is a crucial factor. We know that once the virus gets into our bloodstream, it spreads rapidly and eats its way through our internal organs in a matter of minutes, and the game is over."

The room was quiet. Rose and the rest of the medical staff were standing in the corner, exchanging looks. Erwin was sitting on a chair near the door, leaning his elbows on his knees and staring down at his crossed fingers. You leaned against the wall next to him, with Levi by your other side, trying to process everything you'd just learned.

"And then there's this other thing, about how the infected seem to ignore your presence." Hanji continued, and you noticed that Levi's shoulders tensed up.

Levi hadn't seen it happen with his own eyes. He had only heard the story of what had happened at the gates when the infected swarmed in, and how you encountered them without getting a scratch. It was hard for him to believe it. He didn't, to be exact. He still doesn't.

"We have seen how they go all crazy once they spot humans, especially those who are wounded, so we can assume the infected are after fresh meal. I don't know much about their means to separate the dead from the living, except for a theory that they simply smell the difference. So, assuming this is the case, why do the infected ignore her - completely fine, fresh blood that still runs in her veins?"

The reason might be simply that the mutation has made you absorb the changes which the virus carries out to its host. In other words, (Name) smells dead to them. But, this is still just a vague theory based on guesses and a single first hand experience. We still need to learn more. We need to put this theory to a test."

"And what kind of tests are you thinking about?" Levi murmured under his breath.

Hanji sighed. She took her glasses off and placed them on the table. "We have to try it in practice."

Levi stepped forward, hearing nothing but utter garbage coming out of Hanji's mouth. "You wanna throw her to the dead people and see if she get's eaten of not?" he questioned, angry.

Hanji stared at him, challenging his glare with her serious look. "Yes, basically that's the idea." she cleared out. "You're not an idiot, Levi. You know this has to be done. We have to see if it really works." she spoke in a steady voice, trying not to provoke him to blow this up to an ugly argument.

"Levi, she's right. We have to figure out these things." you stepped beside him and grasped a gentle hold of his sleeve, sliding your hand down to his. You squeezed his hand, trying to assure him that it was all right. "I'm sure we will find a safe way to try it. We can keep it under control so no one gets hurt, right?" you turned your head towards Erwin, hoping to hear his support for this matter.

Erwin only sat there, meeting your gaze, thinking. You raised your eyebrows impatiently, silently begging him to say something.

"We'll do it." Erwin finally spoke up, standing up from his seat.

Levi froze. He forgot Hanji completely and now it was Erwin's turn to hear it. "Are you serious?"

"It needs to be done." Erwin stated his opinion clear. "We need answers. We need to be sure."

It was a mental overpower for Levi. He was the only one against the idea. Levi stared at Erwin, trying to find a way to reason him not to agree this madness, but deep down, he knew they were right.

Levi's eyes wandered around the room, before he looked back to you. "You sure you want to do this?"

"Yes," you were happy that he no longer seemed to be fully against it. "I'm freaking out a bit, but I trust it'll go fine in the end. You'll all be there, right, to make sure nothing goes wrong? And, even if something goes wrong, I'm ready for whatever happens, Levi. I wanna do this."

Levi looked away. "It's settled, then." he shrugged himself off your touch, disappearing into the hallway.

You slowly lowered your arms, feeling bad for seeing him storm out the room like that.

"That went well." Hanji rubbed the bridge of her nose, exhausted from dealing with the tension.

Erwin looked at her over his shoulder. "Don't think I'm not having a bad feeling about this, too. Everything can go wrong." he admitted his concern, now turning his attention on you. "(Name), I need to know if you're absolutely sure about this? We can still call it off, if you're not ready."

You sighed, tired, tired of all of this. Why must all this happen, you thought, thinking of Levi, about how he reacted and how it made you feel. You didn't want to upset him, and yet you seemed to always end up doing just that. But, at the same time, a rush of hope flew through you as you thought of all the good that might come out of the effort. This wasn't just about you. This had to be done for your all sake.

"Yes." you said. "I'm sure."