One place on Earth - Levi x Reader - part 16

A/N: This story takes place in a post-apocalyptic world.
This chapter contains bad language and violent acts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Levi looked down at the bloody part of your body. His focus darted to your face, then back to your lower body, and up to your face again. He lifted you shirt. There wasn't any cuts, just several marks of bruises that were slowly getting darker.

Why is she bleeding like this? His eyes stayed at your stomach for a while.

For some reason, his mind traveled back, counting back the time that you'd spend together, and it suddenly hit him. The uncomfortable feeling of realizing something which you already know is too late to fix. Is she? When did this happen? Did she know? ...Is this real?

"Levi?".... "Levi!"

He snapped back to the moment, focusing his eyes on Mikasa, who was staring at him with wide eyes filled with terror and worry.

"We have to get out of here!" her words guided him back to reality.

Levi blinked his eyes a couple of times, finally getting back his ability to function.

He reached his hand to your back bag, taking it off of your shoulders. "You take this." he handed the bag to Mikasa, and quickly reached his arms under your knees and armpits, carefully lifting you up from the ground.

Your body was limp. He hated the way how it felt like he was carrying a dead person.

"Out of the way!" Levi snapped to Eren who was putting some of the stuff in the back seats legroom.

Eren glanced over his shoulder and quickly staggered backwards. He watched as Levi carefully placed you on the back seats, noticing all the blood and your closed eyes.

"Is she dead?" Eren froze on his spot.

Mikasa took a grip from his sleeve, pulling him out of the way, towards the trunk. "Not yet she is. Let's keep packing." she said quickly.

Erwin was on the ground checking the dead man's pockets, when Eren and Mikasa came to help with the remaining supplies. Erwin watched as Mikasa placed your back bag on top of the pile of supplies. He noticed how she was looking concerned, and she wasn't that kind of a person who would lose her calm like that, if it wasn't for a good reason.

"What's wrong?" Erwin asked, while he moved a pack of matches from the man's pocket into his.

Mikasa remained still for a moment, before she turned around to lift the other fuel canister from the ground. "She passed out." she said simply, before she moved her eyes to look Erwin in the eye. "She started bleeding suddenly. It's like... I think she's pregnant. Or at least she was, I don't know." she said quietly.

Eren and Erwin both paused their actions. Eren forgot how to breath for a moment as he stared Mikasa with his lips parted, while Erwin's features remained pretty much the same. The only visible sign for showing his concern, was the slight furrow appearing into his forehead. His eyes moved towards the car, seeing Levi's back partly behind the corner of the vehicle. He was just standing still at the back door, probably looking at you.

A sudden growling noises reached their ears. Mikasa and Eren looked at the street behind Erwin, seeing all these dead people wandering towards them from various directions in the distance.

"I guess they heard the same noises that made us come back here." Eren reasoned. He suddenly had an energy boost to speed up the packing.

Erwin left the body, trusting that Eren and Mikasa can handle the rest of the packing, and made his way towards the driver's seat. Erwin stopped by the corner of the car. Levi was indeed just standing still and staring at you in silence. His expression was calm, but Erwin knew it was just a mask.

"Levi." Erwin said loud enough to get him out of his thoughts.

Levi moved his head a little as a sign that he was listening.

"We got company. We need to leave now." Erwin simply informed him.

Without saying a word, Levi left the door and pulled his back bag off of his shoulders, making his way to the trunk. Erwin continued his way past him. He spared a few seconds to look at your broken body lying on the back seats, before he opened the front door and sat behind the wheel.

Eren and Mikasa lifted the last things in the trunk, and Mikasa rushed behind the car to get herself on the back seat. Eren was doing the same act to the driver's side, but Levi grabbed his shirt.

"You go sit on the front." Levi said coldly and gave him a rather rough push to the other direction.

"O-Okay." Eren backed away and disappeared behind the car.

Levi looked at the dead people coming closer, before he threw his back bag in the trunk and closed it. His hand grabbed the door, as he was just about to get himself in the back seat with you and Mikasa, when he heard a quiet groan behind him. The other man was apparently just knocked out from Erwin's assault, and he was gaining his consciousness back.

Levi listened his moaning, while his eyes were focused on your face. His rage was building up with every sound he heard coming from the man. His eye twitched, and he turned around.

"Levi! Forget about him, we need to go!" Erwin said sharply from his seat.

Levi didn't hear him, his eyes were pinned to the man on the ground.

The man was lying on the ground, holding his bloody, broken nose with a loud whimper. "Bastards..." he growled, but after seeing Levi's intimidating approach and the other people in the car, his body froze. His eyes moved to his dead companion, realizing that he was outnumbered. "Come on man, we're all just trying to survive here." he reasoned it was better to try talk himself out of the situation.

"You have no idea what you've done." Levi said with a calm and steady voice, while his appearance was screaming anger.

The man had no idea what he was talking about. He could just remain still on his back and stare at him with wide eyes. Levi made his final step next to him.

"But don't worry, I won't kill you. I just wanted to come here--"

Levi placed his left leg right above the man's knee to supported his weight on it. He quickly wrapped his hands around the man's ankle, and without giving the man any chance to react, Levi lunged the leg up with a harsh pull, hearing a satisfying, loud crack from his kneecap.

"--And wish you good luck trying to run away from the dead." Levi finished his sentence, although the man most likely didn't hear anything over his loud screaming.

After that, Levi just left him on the ground screaming his lungs out and holding his knee that was now missing the connection with the rest of his leg.

Everyone in the car had watched what Levi just did, not saying a single word. Erwin started the engine. Mikasa lifted your upper body, providing space for Levi to get in. Levi sat on his seat and slid the door close. Mikasa helped lowering your body back down, so that your head was resting on Levi's lap. Erwin pressed the gas pedal, exhilarating the car onto move right as the nearest dead people had reached the corner of the building. Although, they were more interested about the loudly screaming man than the car.

Levi looked out of the window from the corner of his eye, seeing how the man was desperately trying to get away from the undead by crawling backwards, and how the first dead person lunged over his body. The scene disappeared somewhere behind them as the car kept moving forward. Levi looked down at your face, holding you gently in his arms. You looked so fragile in his eyes.

"Hold on (Name)." he mutters quietly, moving his eyes to watch the road ahead the them.

                                                                                 ----------------------

Levi is standing by a door, looking inside the room in silence. You were laying on the bed with your eyes close. A hospital table was placed next to your bed. There was a messy pile of bloody pieces of cloths on top of it. At the edge of the same table, had scissors and a curled needle with a piece of threat still hanging from it.

A white bed sheet was covering your body from hips below and you had bandages around your head. Rose was examining you, pressing your stomach in various places with her brows knitted together, as she was trying to focus on what she was doing.

Hanji was leaning her shoulder against the door frame, sharing the doorway space with Levi, watching Rose doing her job. Hanji turned her gaze on Levi, seeing him watching carefully how Rose was treating you. His eyes were particularly focused on your stomach area, and his eyes twitched slightly every time, when Rose did a few rougher looking pressings.

Rose finished examining you. She straightened her back and wiped her hands to some clean cloth, before she turned to look at the two persons by the door. "I don't feel anything being broken, but it doesn't mean that there isn't. You said, that she coughed blood?" Rose asks from Levi, receiving a nod from him.

"That's usually a sign of a person having an internal bleeding. It can be pretty much from anywhere, since I can't point the exact place just by looking at her. We can just wait and observe her state, and hope that the damage is nothing too serious. The fact, that she has troubles of staying awake like this, is something you can't take lightly, and the miscarriage... She's had a lot of damage." she spoke sharply, sounding almost angry.

Rose threw the piece of cloth on top the pile with a sigh, and rubbed her forehead frustration. "What she needs, is a proper treatment, and that's something we can't provide her with our current resources. All we can do, is wait and hope that she wakes up and starts feeling better by some miracle, but just to let you know, I highly doubt it to happen. Her changes aren't good. If her state gets any worse, she might not survive, prepare for that. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to have a moment to think." she stomps through the little space between Levi and Hanji, making her way to her office.

They were both quiet, having a moment to think what Rose just said. Hanji eyes darted in various places on the floor, while Levi kept his eyes on you. He walks slowly next to your bed, taking a seat on a chair. He looks at your badly bruised stomach, before his eyes focus on your face. You look pale, and your breathing is slow and deep.

"Did you know that she was pregnant?" Hanji asks carefully by the door.

"...No." Levi says after a while.

Hanji nods, though Levi didn't see it. "I'm sorry." she says quietly, before she turns around to leave.

"Sorry?" Levi snorts without taking his eyes off you.

Hanji stops, turning back around.

"Having a kid being born into this hell, where you can barely look after yourself. Do you really think that would've been a good thing..." Levi's eyes move around your face while he speaks. "Growing up feeling hungry every day. Sleeping in shitty clothes. Having to fear every day about being eaten alive." Levi speaks calmly.

"It's better this way. There's no future in this world." he says quietly, and reaches his hand to pull the sheet over your stomach. He can't stand looking at your bruises.

Hanji stares the back of his head with her lips parted. She shakes her head slowly, and takes off her glasses to rub her face with her hand, as if wanting to sweep the tiredness away from her features "I'm going to see if Rose needs any help." she says, while she puts her glasses back.

She turns around again to leave, but she can't take the step forward. Not just yet. "I can't believe you're saying that. Wasn't the dream of having a better future, the reason which made you do all of this in the first place?" Hanji looks over her shoulder "Are you really thinking that there's nothing for us to fight for? Are you giving up?" she asks, not receiving an answer. "If we lose hope, we're all as good as dead already."

Her words cause Levi to hold his breath.

"I understand, that this must be hard for you, Levi, but you can't just keep sitting in the bottom of a ditch forever... you must climb back up." she slowly turns her head back forward. "So many people look up to you. Make sure not to tell them this same bullshit what I just heard. Don't you dare to rip away the last bits of faith they still have." she said sharply, and walked away.

Levi breaths heavily, while he listens Hanji's footsteps fading into the hallway. His eyes are staring at some invisible focus point ahead of him. His chest feels tight, and his breathing is shaking a little, but he doesn't allow himself to break. Levi drops his head, taking a deep breath, after he finishes hitting his head mentally against a brick wall.

"I'm sorry." he says quietly, raising his head again to look at your face. "I'm not gonna give up." he takes your limp hand into his, squeezing it as hard as he dares, without hurting you. "Don't you give up either F/n, do you hear me?" he's staring at your closed eyelids.

He's waiting for you to open your eyes, hoping to hear you saying something, moving, even a little bit, but you remain still in your deep sleep. He leans his forehead against his right hand, while he still keeps your hand inside his left palm.

"Promise me you won't give up (Name)." he presses his eyes close and gritted his teeth. "Don't you dare give up."

---------Next day---------

"What a terrible day." Hanji referred to the heavy rain as she sat down at the table, where Erwin, Mike and Eren were eating lunch.

Hanji sat next to Mike, in a seat which Jean had left just moments ago. She arched her back, making it crack a few times, before she started eating her thin soup with great appetite.

"Long night?" Erwin gave her a quick glance, before he continued eating.

"Mm-hm." she nodded with her mouth full. She swallowed. "(Name) got a fever last night. She's probably having an infection from the internal bleeding. I was helping Rose, watching over her and trying to figure out if there's something else we could do... Oh, she did wake up a few times, only for a about a few minutes, but still." Hanji said, wanting to sound like it was something worth celebrating, though it really wasn't.

"Her bleeding has eased up a little, which is good news, but her womb is still in the middle of the emptying process. She might still keep dripping for days." she continued casually and took another spoonful of soup.

Eren forced the food down to his throat and placed the spoon into his plate rather loudly. He just lost his appetite. Eren looked at Hanji with a blaming glare, and Hanji raised her eyebrows, wearing an innocent what -question in her look.

Erwin looked at Hanji's eating in silence, when his eyes spotted Levi walking towards them from the hospital section.

"How is he doing?" Erwin asked, hinting Hanji with a nod towards the hallway that he was talking about Levi.

Hanji looked at Levi from the corner of her eye. "He feels bad about the loss, even if he won't never admit it. Rose almost had to get physical to get him out of the room to get some sleep last night. He seems a little better today, though." Hanji briefed quickly, before Levi reached the hearing range.

Levi was looking a bit more tired than usual. His hands were in his pockets, and his gaze was focused on the floor ahead of him. He stopped by the long counter section in the large dining area, asking something from an elder looking woman behind it. She said something to him, and smiled warmly with a few nods, before she disappeared into the back, returning soon with a steaming mug in her hands.

He walked to the others, sitting on Mike's other side, placing his mug on the table.

"That looks like a decent meal." Hanji said in a scolding tone.

Levi opened a tea bag, which was one of his personal favorite things that you had found yesterday from one of the apartments.

Tea and coffee were one of the rare things to enjoy nowadays, and Levi had told one of the cooks to spare him one bag, before they all run out. All the food supplies they find, goes in general use. It wasn't like everyone could just ask to have something to put in storage for them, but since the supply seekers risk their lives for getting them here in the first place, it's only fair that they can have this little privilege.

"Mind your own damn business." Levi growled tiredly while he waited the flavors to spread into the water.

Hanji rolled her eyes, and focused on eating again. The steady sound of people's chatter filled the large room around them.

"Are you still drowning in shit?" Hanji pointed her question to Levi, trusting that he understood the reference.

Levi took a sip from his drink. "No. I'm good." he said simply, while he gazed into the distance.

"Good to hear." Hanji smiled to herself.

Everyone at the table listened to them in silence, not having a clue what their little talk was all about, but no one asked. They continued their meal in silence.

"Erwin! Where is he?"

All of their heads suddenly turned towards the entrance. One of the gate watchers had rushed inside and he was spinning around on his spot in the lobby, trying figure out which way to go first. Erwin stood up so the man could see him. The man noticed him, making his way quickly towards the table.

"Erwin, there's..." he was breathing heavily and his rain cloak was dripping water all over the floor. The other people in the dining area were looking at him in concern, and the man lowered his voice so that only Erwin and the others in the table could heard him. "The military is here."

"What?" Erwin twitched.

Levi stood up from his chair. "How many?"

"I- I don't know. There were just a few trucks on the road when I left to run over here. There might be even more of them." the man stuttered in panic.

Erwin's eyes wandered through every person around the table. "Levi, Mike, go ahead to the gates. Eren, go and spread the word to the rest of us and everyone else capable."

The people left the table in a fuss. The dishes tinkled and the chairs screeched against the floor.

"What's going on?"

"What's happening?"

The other people in the dining area were suddenly fully alert, moving restlessly in their tables. Some of the men stood up. The women stared at the scene in silence. One of the kids started crying.

Erwin glanced at the people around the room. "Hanji, you stay here and keep the people inside." Erwin said to her quickly, while he opened his gun holster ready.

"Got it!" Hanji said sharply, and stood up.

"No one leaves the building. Keep them calm, keep them safe." Erwin said his final instructions to her, before he left to follow the others outside.