One place on Earth - Levi x Reader - part 5

A/N: This series is placed in an post-apocalyptic world.

--------------------------

You had stopped by an empty gas station. Your feet had taken some nasty damage from stepping on all the shards on the road when you ran from the dead. You sat in the back-seat, hanging your legs outside towards the ground. Levi and Jean went to check the gas station for any supplies, while Eren stayed with you and tried to help with your feet.

"Ow!" you complained as he pulled another piece of glass off.

"S-sorry." Eren tried to be more gentle.

"Don't be." you said with a little chuckle, trying not to make him feel so bad. "I've had worse." you looked at the road where you just came from.

"You mean your arm?"

"Well, that too. I mean, stepping on glass is not really the biggest trouble I've been through in these past few years." you said, leaning your arms against the seat, watching him wrap a white cloth around the foot.

Eren finished and stood up. "You want me to take a look at it?"

"Huh?"

"Your arm?" Eren pointed the dirty and soaked bandage.

"NO, no, eh, it's fine." you blabbered quickly, moving your palm over the cloth.

Eren backed away and frowned. You avoided eye contact with him, cursing yourself for acting so obvious.

"Why won't you show me the wound?" he asked, not so friendly.

Your heart pumped hard fast in your chest. You looked to see if Levi had come back yet, but he was nowhere to be found. You looked back to Eren, who had crossed his arms and kept a sharp eye on your arm, probably thinking what you thought he was thinking. You stood up on your feet, not caring about the pain. You stepped away from him, moving closer to the gas station behind the car.

Eren followed your steps, seeming tense and alert. "Are you hiding something?"

"Not exactly, I mean, it's... it's kinda hard to explain, just..." you stammered in lack of words. Where the hell is Levi? "LEVI!"

Eren suddenly rushed to you and started pulling the bandages down. You tried to struggle free, but he was too quick about it and managed to pull the cloth down on your elbow, and when he did, his eyes shot wide open.

"I knew it!"

"It's not what you think!" you tried to explain yourself as he backed away from you again.

"(Name?)" Levi called out as he rushed out of the building.

Levi stopped as soon as he spotted you and Eren standing there. He saw the exposed bite marks and the way Eren looked at you.

Eren turned his head towards Levi. "You knew about this?"

Levi stood in silence for a moment, before he started walking towards you.

Jean came out of the building too, looking at the scene confused. "What's going on here?"

"She's been bitten, that's what's going on." Eren told him.

Jean locked his eyes on you. "Really? What? When?" he quickly followed Levi to you. "Let me see."

You sighed in defeat and turned your left side towards him.

"Oh shit! That... that looks... weird?" Jean managed to finish his sentence.

"What do you mean weird?! It looks pretty clearly like a bite mark for me." Eren pointed at the mess.

"Shut up, Eren." Levi stepped up.

You pressed your temples in frustration. "Look, Eren. Jean is right about how it looks. It looks weird because it's healing, because it's two days old."

Eren and Jean both turned to stare at you.

"Two days? What?" Eren frowned. "That's not possible."

"It is. I was there. I saw her get bit, but she never had the fever, and she certainly hasn't died." Levi explained as he stepped beside you.

Both Eren and Jean stood still, looking at each other, and then you, and Levi, trying to think whether to believe you or not.

"Honestly, I'm pretty confused myself too. You know what, what if we all just calm down, and we tell you exactly what happened?" you suggested.

-------------------

You were driving again, in silence. Levi and you looked at each other in the back-seats. Eren and Jean were quiet at the front, processing everything you'd just told them.

"You know, I believe you. That's truly amazing that you're still alive and all." Eren said from his seat, looking forward. "But I think it won't be easy to get you in... there was a pretty big mess about a week ago. There was this huge group of dead people who appeared out of nowhere. We almost lost the front gate and people died." Eren turned sideways on his seat and looked at Levi.

"He's been pretty tense after that." Eren told Levi, who looked in his eyes in silence, nodding.

You listened them in silence, the sudden tension almost tearing you part. "Um, who is this person you're talking about?" you asked carefully.

Levi looked at you and sighed. He leaned his elbow against the window. "Erwin. He's the person I told you about before, the one who's in charge of the zone." he paused for a while. "It's up to him whether you'll get in or not... and if things are like Eren says, this is not the best timing for us."

You swallowed, restlessly shifting your gaze around the car. You wanted to run. Your brain was telling you to open the door and just go back, but your body couldn't move. You realized your hands were shaking.

Levi looked at you, knowing that you were scared, but he didn't know what to say to make you feel better. He'd only be telling lies if he told you everything was still fine. He had to focus himself, figure out how to solve the situation you were about to face.

"We're almost there." Jean stated behind the wheel.

You suddenly tensed up. You straightened your back and tried to see where you were going. Levi's hand touched you, and you flinched.

He gently squeezed your hand. "(Name), I promised you, remember? I'll get you in, one way or another."

You took a few deep breaths, nodding to his words.

"Hey?" Eren turned his head, leaning his cheek against his seat. "Don't worry, we're on your side. We'll do our best to help." he acted positive.

"Yeah, we got your back." Jean commented after him.

You were scared, so anxious, shaking like a leaf, but yet you managed to smile. "Thanks, really."

And just then, Jean slowed down and you could see a tall fence ahead of you, and a large white building rising behind it. The road widened near the front gate into a large turning space. The whole area was surrounded by a pine forest.

Jean parked the car and stepped out with Eren.

"Wait here. We'll go and tell them that you're here." Jean informed before he closed the door.

You and Levi watched them go to the gate. They said something to the people standing on top of the fence, and soon, the heavy gate was being opened for them. Jean and Eren both disappeared behind the gate and you sunk back against the seat, covering your face in your hands.

"Fuck I'm nervous." you said, "Maybe I should just leave."

"Don't be ridiculous." Levi said, shifted closer and wrapped his arm around you. "Calm down, (Name)."

You leaned against him, the whole situation reminding you about the farmhouse. You trusted Levi to put a bullet in your head when you failed to manage yourself. Levi was there the whole time, just like this, helping you through all the shit. It's still the same. He's right here. A less of a person would've walked away to only take care of themselves. Levi didn't.

You trusted him, as much as one can trust a stranger in this world. You clutched your fingers around the fabric of his shirt, praying that your impression of him proves to be right, that you can trust him not to leave you, not without trying first.

The waiting seemed to last forever.

"He's not as bad as we might make him sound like." Levi suddenly said. "Don't take it personally what he might say about you. When it comes protecting our own, he does everything he can to keep them safe."

You nodded, wanting to believe him, but in your head you pictured the man the same as most of those you've seen before. Hardened by the world where only the strong and cunning survives, that's how they're all like. Stern, scary, loud and cold. What if he hates you? Fears you? Sees you as a threat? Oh hell, you squeezed your eyes close.

"Here they come." Levi suddenly said and you quickly pulled yourself up, but before you managed to look at the gate, Levi touched your cheek to turn your head towards him.

"Hey, it'll be fine." he spoke quietly, meaning to keep you calm.

"He hates me." you revealed your fear. "He's gonna tell me to turn back and never return."

"You don't know that."

"But what if he does? I'll be left alone in the woods. I'll--"

"(Name)--"

"I'll die. I wont make it alone."

"(Name!) Goddamn you." he pulled your head to kiss you quickly. "Shut. Up." he then said to your, suddenly quiet face. "I'm not gonna let that happen. Now, come on." he finished, opened the door, and heaved himself out of the car.

"...Fuck." you muttered under your breath, before you opened the door and stepped outside yourself.

Levi walked around the car from the back and arrived next to you. He pressed his body close to yours, in order to hide the wounded arm behind him to avoid opening the situation on a negative note and hasty conclusions. There were four men strolling towards you. You recognized Eren and Jean at the front, leading the way.

You looked at the tall man who walked behind Jean. He had a light brown hair, board shoulders and a stubble lining up his jaw and lips. He was looking around the forest that surrounded the area and you noticed he was carrying a rifle. Then, your eye wandered to the person next to him, the one with a blond hair.

You didn't need an introduction. The determined posture, the steady walk, how he kept his head high and expression steady. He was everything that describes a confident person who knows what they're on about. That's Erwin, and for your positive surprise, he was nothing like you had expected. The grumpy and cold old man was all in your head. This man had a pleasant face. And no denying he was handsome.

You hoped he was as friendly as he appeared from the outside. This is it. You had to make a good impression.

"Levi. It's been a while." the blonde said his greetings as they finally reached the hearing distance.

"It has." Levi spoke in turn. "Good to see this place is still holding up."

"All is good, considering the circumstances." the tall man meant to sound uplifting, but his eyes revealed his words to be hollow. "So, these two showed up and told me there is some kind of a situation?" he continued, sparing a moment to look at your unfamiliar face.

"Something like that." Levi looked at Eren and Jean, who watched the scene close by, anxiety shining through their stiff stance. "This is (Name)." Levi said, nodding towards you.

Realizing all the attention was on you, a panic rose to pump the vein in your temple. You blinked to look the blonde one in the eye. A kind smile appeared on his face.

"Erwin." he introduced himself. "Erwin Smith." he reached out his hand, which you grabbed nervously.

"So formal." you chuckled nervously.

"Ah," Erwin smiled. "Old habit." he revealed the detail.

You had stepped out for the handshake, and you noticed Erwin's attention visited your arm. It was just for a split second, but that was enough. As his eyes met yours again, you knew he had seen it. You let go of his hand, too quickly, you realized your mistake when it was already too late.

The friendly smile was gone. The blue eyes bored through your head, locking you in state where you couldn't move. You could only stand there while he measured your very being. Finally, after what probably lasted only a few second but felt like a lifetime, he turned his head. He was now looking at Levi, waiting to hear an answer to a question he never said out loud.

"She's been bitten." Levi said.

You looked at Levi with wide eyes. You didn't expect him to just say it like that, casually, without any groundwork to set base for the topic.

"I can see that." Erwin made his observation clear.

You moved restlessly on your spot, not knowing where to look, what to do or how to breath.

"Well good to know you haven't gone blind while I was gone." Levi's words sounded nothing but an insult to you, but Erwin didn't seem to flip over the action.

"Why did you bring an infected woman to our gate?"

"The bite is two days old."

What Levi said, made everyone quiet. Jean seemed to hold his breath. Eren had to sit down for being so nervous. Erwin only frowned, not saying anything.

The second man who came with Erwin, stepped up to where you three stood. You first noticed the riffle he carried, and took his approach as a threat and you backed off a single step to where Levi was, seeking cover from him. The man read the sudden fear from your face, held his steps, and slowly put the riffle to rest over his shoulder.

"I just wanna see it. Can I?" he then asked, calmly, even adding a smile to assure you he meant no harm.

You checked Levi's face. He nodded.

There was no point hiding it, you knew it. You stepped aside once more, turning so that the whole mess in your arm was clear for a closer look. You watched the man come by your side, and you let him bring your arm up from the elbow. His grasp was gentle, and for the next brief moment he observed the broken skin in silence.

"Two days, you said?" he then looked at Levi again.

"Two days." Levi repeated slow and clear, and you nodded to backup his words.

"I think it's already healing." you were finally able to speak up for yourself. "Somehow the virus didn't affect me. I don't feel sick."

Erwin remained quiet, deep in his thoughts as he was eyeing the wounds. The other man let go of your arm and let you enjoy your personal space again. He exchanged looks With Erwin, but you couldn't read the message behind it.

"She's not dangerous. I've been with her the whole time." Levi spoke again. "We went though a lot of shit getting back here, Erwin. We came all this way--"

"No." Erwin spoke up before Levi could continue.

Your heart skipped a beat. You were all quiet, staring at Erwin, who was focused on Levi.

"I can't take the risk. None of us knows for sure how the virus behaves. Even if she hasn't turned yet, it doesn't mean it won't happen later on." Erwin shared his opinion.

He's right, you thought. There was a chance that the virus could still hit you. You really couldn't know for sure. In the worst-case scenario, you'd be responsible of killing a lot of people and destroying their sanctuary. You idiot, how could you ever think this could've worked.

You lowered you head and took a deep breath in defeat, but Levi wasn't done yet.

"How many people have you seen being alive for this long after getting infected? The virus had always worked the same way, killing the person that carries it. Every single time, all dead, except her. She won't turn into one of them, I know it."

"Are you, Levi? Are you really sure that she won't?"

You could hear from the tone of Erwin's voice that he had made up his mind. Loud and clear, he doesn't want your unstable health hazard body to set foot in here, not among his people. And who could blame him?

You started thinking about your chances. How the hell were you supposed to survive here, alone, in the middle of nowhere? There's no place for you to go. No one will ever let you enter any quarantine zones because of your condition... is this it? Erwin and Levi were still on it, arguing about something, but you didn't hear them. You stared blankly at your feet with a million things going through your mind.

"I say it again. No, I won't allow it." you caught the end of Erwin's saying.

He had said his final word, you realized as you watched him turn around. You blinked for several times, unable to understand what had just happened. And then you did. Looking at his back, you saw your last chance walking away.

"I- I don't have any other place to go..." a shattered voice left your lips. "Please."

Erwin took a few more steps, and then he stopped. He looked behind his back. "I'm sorry." he said, and turned his back to you once more.

"(Name?)" Levi appeared by your side, trying to meet your eyes, but you couldn't look up to him.

You heard him heave deeps breaths. His hand landed on your shoulder, and then, you heard the ground crunch under his feet as he left your side.

"Erwin!" Levi followed the man, caught up with him, and turned him around so he could say his matter to his face. "I usually trust your judgement, but this time, you're making a mistake." he said, earning nothing but a stare from the man. "What happened to you? Wasn't it you, who always talked about giving people a chance to survive? What is this? Is this really what you're gonna do? Look at her!" Levi pointed his arm towards you.

You stood there helpless, hands flat over your eyes, trying to fight back tears.

"Are you really going to just walk away? She doesn't have a chance out there, you know it." Levi kept talking. "When she got bit, she was ready to kill herself, but she couldn't do it. Instead, she asked me to do it. I promised I will watch over her, and take care of it myself, if it comes to it. I'm still holding onto that promise." Levi paused to check on you. "I'll be with her, looking after her like I've done so far. If she gets the fever, if there's even a hint of any of the symptoms, I'll end it."

Your hands no longer covered your face. Levi's words had caught your full attention, bringing you back from the empty void and now you just watched him. It was quiet. Jean and Eren, all the people outside simply waited, not knowing what would happen next. Levi was finished. He stood there staring at Erwin, waiting for him to say something.

"Are you willing to risk everything? Because of her?" Erwin asked.

"Yes." Levi said without hesitating.

They stayed quiet again. Erwin focused his eyes at you for a moment, before shifting his gaze at the lonely road behind your back.

Erwin sighed and turned his attention on Levi again. "If something happens to the people here, I will never forgive you, or myself." he reminded Levi about the seriousness of his concern, before he left his side to approach you.

You tried to get a hold of yourself mentally as you saw him come closer, not sure what was going to happen. Erwin stepped in front of you.

"It's not that I don't trust you as a person. It's the virus inside of you that makes me cautious." he explained his actions, his voice steady and calm.

You turned your head to look at the problem in your arm, nodding to what he said. "I understand."

"You've come a long way. You both must be hungry and tired. Let's go inside and get you something to eat."

You quickly jerked your head back up. You observed his expression, his words repeating in your head.

"I- I can come in?" you stuttered in disbelief.

"Yes." Erwin nodded with a smile. And then, without another word, he turned around to go back to the gates. He returned to the spot where Levi was standing.

"I trust you to keep your word." Erwin said without stopping and continued his way.

Levi didn't say anything back. He turned his eyes on you.

You still stood there, not knowing how to move. You staggered, sensing a rush of relief so powerful that it finally left your legs go numb. Levi saw this and rushed himself to you, with Jean and Eren following him behind. You dropped to the ground on all fours, suddenly feeling exhausted, but in a strange, pleasant way.

Levi crouched before you to ask if you were alright, and at the very second you saw him there, you wrapped your arms around him. You squeezed your firsts into the back of his shirt.

"Is this real?" you questioned the unreal amount of luck you'd had lately.

"Do you want me to pinch you?"

You chuckled. "Don't. I don't wanna wake up."

"Yeah, good call. This is such a dreamy wonderland, after all." Levi joked as he helped you on your feet.

"Congrats, you're one of us now." you saw Jean's joyful face.

"Thanks." you chuckled. "I'm so relieved."

"You're not the only one! I almost had a heart attack when things started getting a little tense." Eren wiped his arm over his forehead.

Levi let go to give you some room to breathe. He looked at the gate where the two men were waiting to secure the fence once you'd all get inside. "We should go."

You looked at the huge building behind the tall fence as you strolled towards it, remembering Levi's description of this place. Finally, you'd see it with your own eyes. Jean and Eren walked ahead of you, joking about something and laughing. It was weird to hear laughter.

Were these people really able to live somewhat normal life here, be happy and dream about tomorrow? All the previous zones where you'd been, were just dark and horrid places. People were treated without much humanity, pushed around and cornered by the authority. Restrictions, oppression, mistreating and endless orders. You had only just stepped past the gate, and you could already tell this place was nothing like you've been before.

You knew Levi was right behind you, and you held your steps to allow him reach beside you. As he was there, you felt so grateful that it twisted your stomach. "Thank you, Levi." you said from all your heart. "You got me in."

Levi's lip twitched into a quick smile as a sign of acknowledging your gratitude. "I told you I'd do it."

You had a genuine, happy smirk on your face. You stepped to the side to walk a bit closer to him, and as you were there, you felt his hand on your shoulder

"Welcome Home, (Name)."