One place on Earth - Levi x Reader - part 8

A/N: This story takes place in a post-apocalyptic world.
This chapter contains bad language, blood and violent acts.

------------------------------------

The cool and moist morning air was being greeted with the first signs of the rising sun. Levi leaned his back against the gray minivan as he waited for his last team members to appear. Gunther, Oluo, Eld, Reiner and Annie were already there, doing the final preparations before they were going to leave. Erwin was also there. He stood between the two cars, looking at the long road ahead of him.

Levi's thoughts were interrupted by the approaching voices of the last members of the team. "Tch, damn brats, always making us wait all day." Levi straightened his back.

Mikasa, Jean and Eren arrived at the spot, putting their few personal things at the back of the dark green Mazda. The trunk slammed close with a soft thud and then the team gathered together in the space between the cars.

"I wish you all good luck." Erwin said, looking at each person in turns. "I hope to see you all back here soon, with Hanji."

Everyone was quiet, silently nodding and looking at each other.

"Lets go." Levi said after a few moments, and they all started to scatter around.

"Who's driving?" Jean asked as he walked towards the smaller Mazda and looked at the keys on the hood.

"I hope for everyone's sake, that not you." Eren mocked him for his previous actions behind the wheel, as he stepped inside the minivan.

"Come and say that to my face, Jaeger!" Jean hissed and yanked his angrily shaking hand to point the ground in front of him.

"I'm driving." Eld said as he walked past Jean and took the keys from the hood. He dropped in the driver's seat, while Annie sat in the back-seat behind him.

Annie, Eld and Jean placed themselves in the Mazda, while Mikasa, Eren, Gunther, Oluo and Reiner stuffed themselves on the minivan. Levi was quietly making his way to the car. He opened the door and was about to step in, when Erwin called his name, making him freeze his movements.

"Don't worry about (Name), I'll look after her." Erwin said, revealing that he had noticed there was something going on between Levi and you.

Levi stayed still for a few more moments, letting Erwin's words sink into his head, before he sat in the car and closed the door. "Let's go." Levi pointed his words to Eld, who then started the car.

Erwin stood on his spot, watching the two cars slowly gaining their speed on the silent road, approaching the curve in the distance and disappearing behind the trees.

-----------

The both cars had stopped on the road next to each other.

"What do we do now?" Jean asked from the front seat, looking at the dead men scattered widely around the road not so far from them.

"Do we kill them?" Gunther asked from the driver's seat, resting his elbow over the opened window.

"Let's try not to waste our bullets with these bastards." Levi said and crammed himself into the gap between the front seats. "We'll drive forward slowly, hoping that they don't show any interest to the cars. We attack only if we have no other choice, understood?" he said loudly towards the opened car window next to Jean, so that the people in the second car could hear him too.

Gunther nodded in his vehicle and rolled the window close, driving ahead again. They started moving forward slow and steady, sitting on their seats in silence and holding their weapons ready.

"Don't you dare look at me like that, bitch." Jean hissed quietly at the dead woman on the road, who had turned her body towards the car as they came closer.

"Shut up." Eld whispered behind the wheel, looking forward and trying to focus on driving around the dead people on the road.

"They're looking at us" Annie stated quietly from her seat as she looked outside of her window, seeing the dead people turning their heads towards the moving vehicles among them.

"We're fine." Levi assured, looking towards the minivan, which was driving on the road a little further from them.

A couple of dead men moved closer to the road, being curious about the minivan. One of them bumped his body against the side of the car as his staggering steps took him too close. Levi watched through the windshield how the people moved restlessly in the minivan, as they were trying to see where the dead man had disappeared. He had fallen to the ground on his back.

"You disgusting thing." Eld muttered and turned the steering-wheel on the right, in order to go around the abandoned car blocking the lane they were driving on.

The car moved closer to the man on the ground. Seeing no other option, Eld slowly and surely drove over it. The car made slight ups and downs, with a disgusting crunching sound being heard from below when the dead man's bones crushed under the car's weight. The choking growls of the dead man caused the other ones suddenly get more and more interested about the moving objects. The woman, who they had already passed them, suddenly appeared back at the window next to Annie's and bumped her body loudly against the car.

Annie backed away from the window with a gasp, but recovered soon from the sudden scare and pointed her gun towards the glass. The woman opened her mouth and made a screeching breath against the window, scratching the glass with her dirty nails as she followed the slowly moving car. The other infected soon followed her growling and started speeding up their way towards the cars.

"We need to move." Levi said sharply, glaring at the disgusting looking woman behind the window.

Another dead person bumped loudly against the window next to Jean, making him almost jump in the air since he was focused on looking at the back-seat.

"S-Shit." Jean's voice hitched as he looked at the rotting man with wide eyes.

The man smashed his hand against the glass loudly. Levi looked at the car ahead of them. It was also having a couple of dead men around it.

"We have to go, now!" Levi repeated himself loudly, looking around the car.

Eld started pressing the gas pedal with short but strong stomps, causing the car engine growl a bit louder each time they inched forward, trying to urge the first car to hustle.