Chapter Four

"Is he still watching us?" Anton questioned.

Raven peered over her shoulder and shook her head. "No, he's gone. I don't sense him around us."

"Oh, so you can sense his presence but not figure out the way to the school?" Anton quipped. "That's helpful."

"Oh, shut up," she groaned. "I told you things are different when I'm like this. I can still sense certain things in my human form, but they're not as strong as when I'm a raven. I tend to slip up every once in a while. Don't hate the player, hate the game," she sassed as she tossed her hair over her shoulder and snapped her fingers.

In an effort to help Raven adjust to human life, Anton had her watch plenty of movies and read plenty of books. It was rocky start, but after four years, she began to learn and grow. Though she behaved more as a sassy teenager would perhaps behave, she fit the role of a teenage high school girl perfectly, which allowed her to blend in with the crowd, even if some of her references were outdated and movie-trope cliched.

"Who was he anyway?" she asked as she peeked over her shoulder again.

"My mate, apparently. And he called me his. Azalea?" he questioned as he pulled out a pocket mirror from his bag. "What the hell? I thought that hiding my scent would prevent me from finding my mate?"

"You found them?" she questioned.

"Yes, and I am freaking out," he hissed. "What if he discovers us? We can't go back to that cinderblock prison."

Azalea walked to her shelf and began to scour through her book of spells. Flipping through the pages, she wracked her hands through her hair as she read the hidden scent spell. "They must be an alpha. Only their extra heightened senses can sniff their mate out despite hiding their scent. However, they will still believe you are a human, so continue to hold it in. We can't risk anything."

"When have I ever not held it in?" he muttered as he slapped the mirror shut and continued to strut to the school.

The moment they arrived, no pair of eyes were able to look away. Already word of the alpha's mate being a new student resided in the school. Everyone was quite excited over spotting their new luna, but no one could seem to figure out which one she was.

"Great, he must have told them," he mumbled under his breath. Grabbing Raven by the hand, he dragged her into the building.

"Hey, I like the attention," she teased. "Why do you always have to ruin my moment in the spotlight?"

"Sometimes I regret ever teaching you anything," Anton groaned. Facing her, he crossed his arms over his fake chest and demanded, "Can you please knock it off?"

"It comes and goes with the wind," she answered in a melodic voice that spoke the melody of a harpsicord.

"See, that's better."

"Oh, so it's the tone," she whispered as she followed him to the front office. "As you wish...ma'am," she said before bursting out in laughter. She wiped a stray tear away. "Oh, how I crack myself up."

"You're ridiculous," Anton said, but even he couldn't fight the grin off his face. Strutting up to the front desk, he smiled. "Excuse me," he spoke in his feminine voice, "but we're new here."

Looking up in the potential eyes of her future luna, she smiled. "And what is your name, sweetheart?"

"My name is Azalea Wood, and that there is my friend Raven Faith."

The secretary typed it up on her computer. She quickly pulled out two folders full of their schedules and handed each of them a small booklet containing the rules. "You two have a lovely day. Would you like someone to show you around?"

"No, thank you," Anton replied. "Have a nice day."

"You too. Ba-bye now," she said as she waved her fingers goodbye.

Only mere minutes after they left, Aaric came bursting through the doors. "Did you see her? Is she already here?"

"Yes," Cecil clapped. "Which one was she?"

"The one with the dark red hair," he swooned. "Man, I can't believe I have finally met my mate. I never believed this day would actually happen. Finally, after such a long awaited time, she has arrived."

"Well, her name is Azalea Wood. She's apparently transferred to several different schools since she was freshman, and she is now in her senior year. But based on her track record, I don't know how long she will be staying for. A few months at the longest," she replied.

Aaric ran behind the desk to face the computer screen. Cecil pointed out her track record, and he threw his head against the table. "This is not good. I need her here. What am I supposed to do without her? If she leaves and I come running after her, how would that settle for her? A creepy stalker who ran into her outside and called her mine followed her to another school? I'll never be with her then."

"Make her fall in love with you before it's too late. I mean, she locked eyes with you, so she now has that lingering feeling of being your mate inside her heart. You just need to help it come out," she encouraged.

"That will be easier said than done," he said as a crow flew past a window.