Chapter Thirteen

There wasn't much they could take with them. Clothes were not a huge necessity. Sure, Anton would have to continue wearing the same pair of skinny jeans and coat for a while, but he packed all of his makeup. The last thing he needed was for someone to see his nonexistent reflection. He also made sure to carry the rarest of ingredients he'd discovered during his travels in case he needed them for any potions he would need while gone. That, and the Enchanter's book.

Stomping on twigs and over logs, he was always careful to make sure the dagger was still locked on the side of his leg, hidden from anyone's view by his coat. With the knife being a gateway to Azalea, he needed to make sure he could pull her into his dimension if needed. No longer would she always be sending spells through her reflection, using up her much-needed strength to target enemies. Now, he could allow for her to come out of hiding and kill any and all enemies, preventing them from continuing on their journey.

Raven flew overhead, guiding them on their way, while also constantly watching the ground below for any sign of rogues or revenants. They could be anywhere, disguising themselves as a wolf or a frog, even as a raven like herself. She had to keep a lookout to send for help if any was needed. But with only Azalea to help, there wouldn't be much she could do.

The sun began to rise in the east, alerting Anton that he needed to find shelter for the night. "You could always shift," Raven chirped as she perched herself on his shoulder.

"No, I would rip my clothes that way," he grumbled.

Stumbling to a small riverbank, he leaned down into his reflection. "How much longer until we arrive?" he questioned.

"Another seventy-two hours, I presume," Raven replied. Looking back over his shoulder, she worried. "I fear I saw something following us. It looked like wolves, but I do not know if they happen to be part of Aaric's pack or rogues."

"Then we should continue on," he stated, but not before taking a quick sip of water. "We cannot be attacked."

"Talking to animals?" a wolf sneered to its pack as it crept out of the trees. "Quite peculiar for a human girl, right boys?"

"Cut the crap. You know that's horseshit if you can talk to me. What do you want?" he deadpanned.

The wolf was taken aback, not expecting her to hear it. And it certainly was no expecting such a blank yet blatant response from her as well. Nevertheless, he had a plan in mind, and he intended to put it in motion. Howling up at the sun, more wolves crept out of the trees. Lolling his tongue around in his mouth, he tsked as he scanned his surroundings.

"They're everywhere, master," Raven whispered.

"Good. We can attack in any position," he stated, pounding his fist into his palm.

Transforming before him, the rogue stalked up to Anton. "Oh, honey, do you really think you have what it takes to defeat me?" The rogue grabbed at his wrist, but it quickly pulled away at the burning sensation of the enchanter's flesh. "What the-"

"What do you want from me?" Anton asked as he folded his hands in front of his chest. "There must be something you are wanting from me if you followed me all the way from- well, where exactly did you find me? Feral Hounds? Morning Angel? Solar Summit?"

"Oh, you mean your mate's territory?" it taunted.

"So, that's where you found me, hmm? The illustrious white wolf. The most powerful creature in all existence, if it were not for the black wolf, correct?" he questioned, taunting it as he began to circle it. The wolf growled. "Ah, sore spot for you, eh? Can't seem to find it, and now that you know the white wolf's mate is human, there is no black wolf. So, what can you do?"

"A lot more than you would think."

"Humor me, then," Anton demanded as he sat down on a log, dramatically crossing one leg over the other. "I have time before killing you all."

The rogue snickered. "You're so full of it. Think you're all high and mighty, now don't you?"

"Why, yes, I do. Now, if you think you can kill me, then where's the harm in telling me why you need me? Or are you actually afraid I will kill you and don't want to upset the mastermind behind this whole scheme? Whatever it may be, I do not care. You are going to kill me, aren't you?"

"After we suck the power out of your mate," it stated.

"Op," he chortled, "there it is," he teased. "Sucking out his powers. Well, that's quite new. Plan to give it back to your master, or will you merely keep it all for yourself? Or were you hoping I'd be the black wolf so you could give my powers to the master while you kept the white wolf's powers? I feel as though I am hitting the mark with one of these."

"Shut up!" the rogue screamed.

"Yes, I am right. Oh, goodie," Anton clapped as he stood up. "That means it's now time to kill you and your friends." He cracked his fingers and neck. "Ah, yes, let's get right to it."

Before he could summon any of his powers, a large white wolf with black paws, ears, and a tail jumped between them, knawing its teeth at the rogue. Anton fell back on his butt, gasping at the sight of his mate before him.