Chapter Eleven

Gliding down the steps to the library, Anton grimaced when he saw the gooey blue blood of the revenants had hardened, creating a crusty paste. Stepping through it all, he approached the bookshelf, unaware that a book was missing.

"See anything?" he asked Azalea.

Scanning through the books, she sighed. "Nothing."

"Do we have time to look?" Raven chirped.

"We have ten minutes before the spell wears off. Besides, it's not like we want anyone to know about the spells or anything. This is plain dangerous on its own if someone were to enter school territory, they would notice how everything was frozen. No, we already took two books, we can't take anymore. No matter what, its still part of this pack's property, and we shouldn't be stealing," Anton stated.

"But if you're Aaric's mate, and he owns this land, then technically don't you own it as well?" Raven asked.

"Don't go using logistics here," he snapped. Pulling a book off the shelf, he flung his fingers over the pages, using a speed-reading spell. Within minutes, all the books had been scanned, and none of them said anything about a Bleeding Rosebud. "We're doomed," he stated.

"Nothing?" Raven asked. Anton shook his head.

"A dead end," Azalea sighed. "We should prepare to head out and find some new territories. You can come back after we're separated."

While Raven flew back upstairs, Azalea placed her hand up on the steel. Anton placed his hand over hers, resting his forehead against her own. "I know it sucks," she whispered, "but the moment we separate from one another, the sooner you will be able to mate with Aaric and live life happy and free. It will all be worth it in the end."

"I know," he agreed through shaky breaths. "It's just sucks. I want you to be free as soon as possible, and every time I fail to find the Bleeding Rosebud, I feel I've let you down."

"I am the one who let you down right at the start. Because of me, you have to put aside your happiness. I would kill to know who my soulmate is, but us sorcerers don't have the luxury." Sliding her hand through the steel, she cupped Anton's cheek. "No one should be taken from their soulmate."

"And no one should be banished forever just because I made a stupid mistake," he stated. Pushing her hand back through the steel, he gave her a weak smile. "At least I won't have much searching to do after we've reached our goal." He inhaled a deep breath. "It will all be worth it in the end."

Running back up the stairs, he felt his knees begin to give way beneath him. "Anton," Raven panicked.

"Go back to your spot," he demanded.

Though Raven perched herself back on the book, she couldn't help but watch him carefully as he stumbled to the window. "What's wrong?" she panicked.

"Spell's wearing off," he replied as he jumped out the window.

Hurrying back to his spot beside Aaric, wrapping his arms around his neck once again, he whispered, "Ir."

The moment the freezing spell wore off, Raven flew outside as Anton began to fall in his mate's arms. Aaric panicked. "Azalea," he exclaimed, catching him before he hit the ground. "Darling are you alright?"

Running his hand through the grass, Anton laughed. "The grass is so soft," he giggled. Laying down in it, he moaned softly. "Why can't all things be as soft as grass? And it's so green, too. My favorite shade of green right next to your eyes," he flirted, sending him a wink.

As flustered and overjoyed as Aaric may have been, he knew he had bigger issues to deal with. "Azalea, darling, are you alright?" he questioned as he ran his fingers through her hair.

Anton moaned at the sensation of his fingers, with sparks aligning his skull where his mate's finger's came in contact with his scalp. "Keep doing that," he murmured, "and I will forever be alright."

Raven flew down to the spaces between the cars, transforming before running to Anton's side. "Azalea," she called out. Scooping him up in her arms, she helped him to stand up. "Thank goodness I found you. You knew you weren't supposed to come to school today," she scolded.

"But I wanted to so I could-"

Raven pressed a finger into his lips. "No more speaking," she sang. Smiling at Aaric, she apologized. "We had to skip school today because somebody wasn't feeling like themself. I am truly sorry for any inconvenience we may have put you through."

"It's no trouble at all," Aaric assured. "Is she alright, though? Like...is she drunk?" he whispered.

"No, not at all," Raven stated.

"Yes," Anton spoke at the same time. "As a skunk." He instantly began to cackle.

"Maybe she is," she muttered. Jerking her head up at Aaric, she gasped. "Kiss her!" she demanded.

"What do you-"

His words were cut off. The softest pair of lips plummeted onto his own. His whole body froze at the heavenly sensation of Anton's lips morphing into his own. The high he was on was magnifying, unleashing the wolf within him to howl in pure bliss. He wanted to scoop his mate up in his arms and throw her on the bed to mate with her right then and there.

His mate did not feel the same way.

Shoving Aaric off him, Anton covered his mouth with his hands and quivered. "Ever heard of consent?" he screeched.

"Excuse me, but that was my doing," Raven stated as she pointed to herself. She smirked, perching her hand on her hip. "At least you're not drunk anymore."

Spinning away from Aaric, Anton touched his lips gently. He could admit that the comforting spell had worn off due to the sheer surprise of feeling his mate's lips on his own. The warm sensation that flowed through his body like the blood that kept him alive stimulated all his senses.

However, with him finally having kissed his mate, he was doomed. Though he knew he would need to leave soon to continue traveling to find the Bleeding Rosebud, he did not want to go. Having already connected the slightest bit to Aaric, he wanted to mate and mark, but he knew he would not be able to do so until he was freed from Azalea's hold on him.

Aaric took one step up to Anton, but he quickly stepped back, holding his hands up in front of him. "We really shouldn't be doing this," he whispered.

"Why not?" Aaric asked, unashamed to allow the heartbreak to seep into his words.

"I...don't love you," he lied. He already loved his mate. Soon, he would fall in love with the man he called his soulmate, but he could not enjoy that privilege. No, he knew he had to wait until he and Azalea were separated, each their own soul yet again. He could not harm her or himself. He had to let Aaric go.

"You met the poor man yesterday. Why would you already love him?" Raven quipped in hopes of covering his tracks.

"That is besides the point," Anton harshly spoke to her. Jerking his head at Aaric, he stated, "I'm sorry...but I have to go. Come along, Raven." And he walked down the street, feeling the beady eyes of his mate stare deep into his soul.