Chapter Ten

Strutting down the street, Anton refused to make eye contact with anyone. He was afraid people were watching him, and he could feel a couple of wolf's eyes stare at him. He wasn't sure if it was because he was mated to an alpha or because a raven was flying with him overhead, but he was not having any of it.

Finally making it to the school, he stood by a fence in the parking lot and watched as Raven flew up to the window. A thin piece of plastic covered the broken glass, and he stood with his hands buried in his pocket as he watched her watch the scene inside the library.

Aaric pulled up to the school to pick up Clive for official pack business when a few wolves began to mindlink him to alert him that his mate was standing behind the school next to the library windows. After the attack the prior day, Aaric needed to find out whether Azalea was human or not. He needed to know if she stole the books or not. He needed to know more than what met the eye.

The dagger was important. If it fell into the wrong hands, doom would strike down on their dimension. If she knew anything about its whereabouts, he needed to coax it out of her. Not to mention how he got the chance to see his mate again. He was told that she didn't show up to school that day, and it worried him, especially after how she skipped lunch. He wasn't sure if that was normal in her case, whether it was a good thing or not, but he needed to make sure she was well and taken care of.

He looked in the back parking lot and spotted her. A lone raven flew her way, and she perched out her finger for the bird to rest on. There was no smile on her face, not a speck of joy, but he could tell her heart was kind enough to warrant the trust of another creature.

"There's no one but wolves in there. No sign of humans anywhere. But the window is blocked," Raven chirped.

Peering up at the window, he snickered. "Easy."

"What's easy?"

"Dear Lord," he shrieked, placing his hand over his heart. Raven flew off his finger and perched herself on his shoulder. "Are you trying to give me a heart attack?"

"Sorry," he winced. "I didn't realize that wouldn't go over so well."

"Whatever. What do you want, Aaric?" he asked.

He smiled wide. "You remembered my name."

"Hard to forget it," he said with a roll of his eyes. Waving his fingers as though he were saying hello to Aaric, he moved the plastic cover away from the window. Raven flew inside, and he smirked. "What can I do for you?"

"I just...saw you over here, thought I would ask how school went," he responded.

"Fine."

"Just fine?"

"Just fine," he smirked.

"Really, cause my buddy's little brother, Clive, you know him?"

"I do."

"Well, he said he you didn't show up to school today."

"Why would he care? Did you ask him?" Anton asked.

"No," Aaric stated. "He was just...disappointed, is all."

Anton gasped, placing a perfectly manicured hand over his chest. "You don't think that he has a crush on me, do you?" he teased.

At the idea of his mate being with Clive, Aaric could feel his wolf rile up. He hated the idea of her being with anyone but him, but since she was a mere human, he could not let it show. The last thing he needed was to scare her off, especially after the way she turned him down yesterday, asking for him to forget all about her. He never would.

Anton hated to see his mate so upset. Though he knew better than to flirt with him, he couldn't leave his mate alone and upset. He placed his hands on his shoulders, sliding them up to wrap around his neck. He could feel Aaric's breathing begin to falter, but he wouldn't stop. "You see, if he were to ever flirt with me, I would kill him," he stated and snapped his fingers, tilting his head with a pout, "like that."

"Y-you...you..."

"I?" Anton teased.

Before Aaric could finish his thought, the ground began to rumble again. He began to look back at the school. "What the-"

Slipping a finger under Aaric's chin, Anton guided his face back to his. His eyes locked him in place, and Anton could feel his legs grow weak. Warmth radiated off his mate's chest, and with the close proximity of his mouth, he could feel warm pants of air wisp onto his lips.

Desperately he wanted to kiss his mate, but when Aaric let his guard down, Anton whispered, "Parar." Instantly, Aaric's half lidded eyes froze on the spot, and everything within the school grounds stopped as well.

Pulling away from his mate, Anton dashed to the library window and jumped up through the window. Everyone in the library was frozen, including Raven. He ran his fingers down her back, instantly awakening her from her spell. She continued to flap her wings and followed Anton down into the underground library.