Chapter Thirty-One

Azalea made sure she was careful of everything creeping through her surroundings, making sure not to draw attention to herself. It was quite difficult to do so, as the streets seemed to be nearly empty. Only a few people were out and about, and all people made sure not to make eye contact with her. They ducked their heads and ran away.

She was certain no know knew who she was. If someone were to recognize her, she believed it would not end well for her. Yet what was the strangest of it all was the fact that she seemed to be the only person out who was wearing a cloak. Everyone else seemed to wear the same street clothes she would wear on a daily basis. And then there was her, sporting a cloak like it was no big deal.

Maybe it was the cloak that scared people off. Maybe that was what was wrong. But Bleeding Rosebud gave it to her as a gift, commanding her to wear it while she was in her dimension. There was no way the witch would deliberately place her in harm's way.

Would she?

As an arrow nearly grazed her nose, she feared she knew the answer. And before another could hit her ear, she caught it without facing the attacker. Facing the enemy's direction, she snapped the arrow, tossed it to the ground, and curled her finger to demand they would approach her. "Come."

Slowly, a man she knew crept out of the shadows. Short, but powerful. He was top of his class when they were in training school together, quite the teacher's pet. Yet he still snuck out of lesson to perform illegal magic with her in the forest just outside their school's gates. A handsome man with a scar across his left eye. He was one of the few people she hurt in her short rebellion. Because of him, she allowed the high council to take her away without a fight. And to witness him try to kill her pissed her off.

The moment his bowed head was presented before her, she slapped his cheek. The echo of the contact spread throughout the near empty streets. People stopped to watch but quickly ran away. "Seriously, Alexander?" she spat. "This is the warm welcome back I receive?"

Slowly turning his head to face the women belonging to the angelic voice, a wide grin spread across his face. "Azalea?"

"No shit, dumbass. What are you trying to do killing me?"

"What are you doing joining the Revenant's army?"

"What do you mean? I just stepped out of my cell for the first time in ten years. What makes you think I know anything about a war?" she quipped.

Taking her by the hand, he shifted them so it would seem as though she was leading him. "Follow my directions," he whispered before she began to walk.

^^^

A week had passed since Anton had been kidnapped. According to Raven, who was able to witness the whole ordeal, rogues jumped out of every corner, shooting him with enough tranquilizers to be lethal. They scooped him up and took him away in a large black van.

Thankfully, she was able to follow them from high above without anyone knowing. She had her bird friends watch over the van and scout out the secret whereabouts of the rogues. She made sure her friends kept an eye on Anton to make sure they would know if anything about his condition changed.

"He's still there. They haven't figured out a way to drain his powers yet, but I believe they are close," she explained the moment she arrived back at the pack house, shifting on the windowsill in Aaric's office. "We need to figure out a plan. And quick."

"Should we contact the Bleeding Rosebud?" Clive suggested. "She's been helping this entire time. Surely, she can help with this, too."

"No, we don't need her," Aaric stated.