42

"Wake up... Wake up, please... You're still alive, right?..."

You slowly wake up, not putting in the effort to open your eyes more than just a small sliver. You just lied there, motionless, until you realized that you thought you heard someone. Probably just my imagination. I guess I'm really that tired...

But then you felt yourself shaking. After a few moments of waiting and starting to shake faster, you realized that there was a pair of hands on your side. They must be the cause of the shaking.

...Wait, that means...

You opened your eyes all the way and rolled over. Your vision was a little blurry, but you were able to see a familiar face after a second or two. "...You picked my lock, didn't you?"

Kokichi stepped away from you and smiled cheekily as if everything was normal. "Nishshi! Aw, I guess I can't lie to you on this one."

You sat up, rubbing your temples. "You know... If you were anyone else, I'd be really p*ssed right now and I'd probably kick you out."

"Hm. That's a pretty backward thing to say, now isn't it?"

"I guess," you replied with a shrug. You looked over at your clock. It was only ten minutes after the morning announcement. Huh. I wonder what could have gotten me to sleep so much... You tried to rack through your brain for any possible answer, and that was when you remembered what had happened the other evening. "Wait... Why are you here?"

"So we could work again? And you didn't answer me when I knocked on the door for about the last five minutes? And I was nervous about you?"

"Sorry for keeping you waiting..." You awkwardly looked away and rubbed at the back of your neck. "Um... You're not mad?"

Kokichi tilted his head at you. "Eh?"

"For what happened yesterday."

You gave the boy a side glance. He was now also looking away to the side, and you couldn't see his face. "Of course I'm not mad at you. Hah, that's still on your mind? That's...adorable, but we have more important things to do! Wouldn't you agree?"

"Um..." You noticed how he was fidgeting with his hands a bit. I should probably just go with it. "Right. So are we heading to my lab?"

"Actually, I was wanting to hang around here for a while."

You tilted your head at him in confusion. "Why is that?"

"I'll explain later. For now, I think that you should probably get something to eat."

"But...the others—"

Kokichi waved his hand dismissively at you. "It would probably be best that they know you're doing fine. Just go, and tell me if you here something interesting, alright?"

You hesitated a bit before nodding at him. "Yeah...alright, then." You stood up and stretched, straightening out your clothes and running a hand through your hair before you walked over to the door. You glanced at the boy one last time before you left for the dining hall.

You entered the dormitory again, ready to go up the stairs to head to your room...until you saw Kokichi emerge from Shuichi's dorm. "Um...Kokichi?"

"Oh! There you are! I was wondering what took you so long!" he chirped.

You just sighed. "Well, I had to find an explanation to the others about where I've been yesterday. Then they mentioned that they were planning on meeting up together tonight at the gym so that they could...fight Monokuma?"

"Fight Monokuma?" Kokichi parroted in a questioning tone. "Psh. And how do they plan on doing that?"

"They're going to get weapons from Maki's lab... After that, though, they started asking about my relationship with you." You saw how the boy raised an eyebrow at you, so you continued. "Maki started to wonder if my absence yesterday was somehow linked to you. She asked me if I was planning something bad with you... Then stupid Tsumugi brought up how close we are, and she basically added to her suspicions. Shuichi, Himiko, and Kaito had to help me out of the situation."