5: The Friend Who Cared

After her tea time, which she'd used to share with Ally, Maddie stayed in her dorm, not wanting to bother to go to her afternoon classes

After her tea time, which she'd used to share with Ally, Maddie stayed in her dorm, not wanting to bother to go to her afternoon classes. She studied the map of Wonderland , where she was encouraged to be mad, not like in Auradon where she was told to act normal.

Normal. She didn't even know what it was, but if it meant she had to act like the other stuck up princes and princesses? She wanted none of it.

She opened a scrapbook of her childhood friends. It made her feel all alone, seeing how so many people who were once her friends had left for Audrey to be popular. Lonnie, Jane, Jordan, Ally... the list went on.

Maddie shut the book, when she heard the knock at her door. She was curious with who would want to come to her room at this time of day.

She opened the door and was met with the eyes of her friend Ben.

"H-hi." Maddie said, looking at her friend, "um what did you need?"

"You didn't show up to class today, so I came to check on you." Ben said. "Are you Okay?"

"U-um Yeah. I'm fine." Maddie stuttered out, looking down at the floor.

"Can I come in?" Ben asked.

"S-sure." Maddie said, motioning for him to pass.

Ben sat on her spare bed, where she had tossed the scrapbook. He opened it smiling as he glanced over it.

"Wow. I remember these," Ben said with a laugh, before turning to Maddie. "You do know why I'm here right?"

"Yeah." Maddie said, looking down at her feet, crossing them and recrossing them.

"Yeah." Ben said, shaking his head. "You haven't been acting the same. Your skipping school. Not doing the plays like you use to. Your not you."

Maddie closed her eyes tightly, trying to stop the tears that were threatening to fall. Ben tapped his foot on the floor.

"I don't know what your talking about." Maddie said.

"Is it because of Ally?" Ben said, knowing that was the problem, seeing Maddie tense up at the mention of her cousin. Ben reached out to grab her hand, sitting next to her and waiting for her to meet his gaze.

Maddie continued to look at the floor, contemplating whether or not to listen to him. She shuffled her feet on the floor before deciding to lift her head up. Ben beamed at her, which she returned.

"We can talk about that later." Ben decided, releasing her hand from his, which Maddie instantly used to bury her face in her hands. "I want to ask you something."

"What?" Maddie asked, her voice muffled as she peeked through her fingers. Ben chuckled, wringing his hands.

"I had a dream." Ben said, clasping his hands together and resting his chin on them.

"About?" Maddie asked, uncovering her face and looking at him expectantly. Ben took a deep breath, choosing his words carefully.

"I had a dream." Ben repeated, nodding his head to cement the point. "I was in a place and it wasn't Auradon."

Maddie nodded her head, waiting for him to continue. Ben took another breath.

"I saw a girl. And she had dark purple hair with lighter shades of purple as her highlights. It was curly and reached a little bit over her shoulders." Ben paused as Maddie encouraged him to continue. "She has these green eyes, bright green eyes with flecks of gold. And her outfit kind of matched her hair."

"Okay." Maddie said. "Why did you see her?"

"In the dream, I was walking around a strange village full of shabbily dressed, miserable people who ate rotten fruit and drank black coffee. No cream. No sugar. No coffee cake to dip in it. The horror!" Ben said as Maddie laughed.

"Sounds terrible." Maddie agreed.

"And I had fallen into some kind of ditch, but someone had helped me out. A beautiful, purple-haired girl who looked nothing like anyone in Auradon. And I thanked her and all. But she'd disappeared before I could catch her name."

Maddie nodded, trying to soak in the information she had just received. That description fit something of someone Quinn had once told her about but she couldn't place who.

"What a dream." Maddie noted, earning a laugh from Ben.

"Yeah." Ben agreed. "I was hoping you could tell me what it meant."

"You had a dream about the Isle." Maddie said without missing a beat.

"How are you so sure?" Ben asked.

"I've had dreams like that too." Maddie said.

"Yeah." Ben said nodding his head. "But don't your dreams actually send you to those places?"

"They do." Maddie agreed. "I can talk to them in real time."

"So have you met anyone that fits that description." Ben asked.

"I've heard of her." Maddie said. "But they never say her name. Most of the people hate her but are too afraid to say anything."

"Why is that?" Ben asked.

"I don't know." Maddie said. "I never asked."

"Would you ask for me?" Ben said.

"Sure." Maddie said.

"Also I had another dream after." Ben said.

"Of course you did." Maddie said.

"I saw a girl. She had golden brown eyes, pale ruby lips, and blonde hair with golden highlights tied into a ponytail." Ben began, and Maddie knew exactly who he was talking about. "She wore a heart-shaped ruby necklace, a dark red T-shirt paired with a black leather skirt with fishnet leggings and black combat boots, and a crown."

"May I say, you pay great attention to detail." Maddie commented. "What did she say?"

"Thanks." Ben said. "She didn't say anything. She was just going through a box of things, I couldn't make out what the label said. Anyway, she took off the blue jacket she was wearing and a boy walked through the door and called out her name: Sam. He asked her something and she answered back."

"That's it?"

"No. she was fixing the boxes and a box almost fell on me, but she caught it. And she looked down at me and frowned and asked me who I was but I woke up."

"That sounds entertaining." Maddie said.

"So do you know who she is?"

"Sam. The daughter of Smee. I'm going to assume the boy was her boyfriend or whatever she wants to call him, she knows the purple haired girl and by the stories she told me, they hate each other a lot. Maybe because of what the girl did to one of her friends when they were younger.That's all?"

"Yeah." Ben said, standing at the door. "One more thing."

"Yeah?"

"I better see you in school tomorrow."

Maddie sighed.

"Fine."