Part 3

Richard was in his study working on some paper work when the landline rang. He saw the caller ID and picked it up, as he took his reading glasses off.

"Mitchum, hello. What can I do for you?" Richard greets, leaning back into his leather chair.

"Hello, Richard. I would like to invite you and Emily to dinner Friday night at our home."

"Oh, well on Friday my daughter and granddaughter will be coming over for out weekly family dinner."

"They are more than welcome to come as well."

"I'll have to run this by Emily, but I'm sure she'll be okay with it."

"No need, Shira is calling Emily about the arrangements accordingly."

"Very well then, we'll see you Friday night."

"Great, see you Friday."

The line ended.

Richard put the phone down, and tapped his fingers on the desk in confusion as to why the sudden invite. Of course Emily wouldn't be too happy with this last minute dinner schedule, but what's done is done and it only Tuesday. Richard contemplated what this would mean but after a few minutes he sighed. He glanced at the painting of Rory and smiled before he went back to reading the contracts that were in front of him.

Then he heard his wife call out his name faintly.

Meanwhile....

Emily was going through D.A.R. papers at the table near the door when a maid approached her with the phone. Emily took it as the maid whispered, "It's for you Mrs. Gilmore."

Emily nodded a silent 'thank you' knowing that she'd be gone by the end of the week.

"Hello, Emily Gilmore speaking." Emily said as she turned to the papers again.

"Hello Emily, it's Shira Huntzberger." Emily put down the papers and smiled, she leaned back in her chair a bit.

"Shira, hello. It's good to hear from you, how's the family?"

"Everyone's well, Emily. Thank you for asking. Now, the reason I called is to invite you to dinner Friday."

"Oh, well this is quite a short notice, Shira. My daughter and granddaughter will be coming over for our traditional Friday night dinners."

"Oh, well then invite them too." Emily pressed her lips into a line as she debated mentally what was up.

"Alright, I'll tell them."

"Good, good. Does 6:30 for drinks and 7 for dinner work?"

"Perfect."

"Great. Goodbye Emily."

"Goodbye Shira."

Emily hung up and a small scowl was on her face. But then...

"The Huntzberger's invited us to dinner at their house... Oh! This is serious! Richard!"

Emily called as she headed to Richard's study.

"Richard!"

Emily burst into his office, "I just got a call from Shira about dinner at their home for Friday. This is serious, invitations to have dinner there is rare. What do you think they're up to? Maybe, maybe they want to set up Rory and Logan, oh! That must be it! Yes, how lovely that would be. Uniting our families. Our grandchildren would be gorgeous! I need to get a hold of my event planner, maybe Spring wedding... no! Summer! That would be perfect! Although there have been a lot of summer weddings lately, maybe an early winter, late autumn. Rory always did love snow, but she loves the autumn weather. I'll have to talk to Shira, see what she thinks."

"Emily." Richard tried to interrupt, but she was on a roll.

"We definitely want to set a date to choose a venue, though we should definitely get the Rose room where we had our vow renewal, it was beautiful there. We should definitely have blue as one of the colors, to bring out Rory's eyes. She always didn't look beautiful in the color blue. And I have noticed Logan taken a liking to the color as well with the color of his suits, ties, shirts for events. A pale blue for a winter wedding! Silver and white to compliment a winter wonderland. I'll need to set a meeting with my caterer and florist. Of course a few appointments for Rory to find a dress. I should probably talk to her for her bridal party. Don't get me started on the guest list!"

"Emily!" Richard boomed.

Emily turned to her husband quickly, realizing she was rambling and a light blush graced her cheeks. Richard smiled at her.

"Calm down Emily, we don't know for sure what this dinner is about. We will find out soon enough. And I beg of you Emily, hold the reins on the wedding planning until we know for certain what is going to happen."

"Right, right of course. You're right. I need to call Lorelai and Rory to inform them of this change in plans, why must they call last minute it isn't proper protocol." Emily huffed.

"Go call the girls Emily, this dinner seems to me that it will be interesting."

Emily nodded and was off to call her daughter, since she assumed Rory was either in a class or studying and Lorelai would be her grape vine to her anyways.

She reached for the phone that she laid next to a pile of papers and dialed the Dragonfly Inn, hoping to catch Lorelai off guard at work.