Part 8

Rory and Logan walk out of the Huntzberger residence in an awkward silence, avoiding eye contact as they make it to the car and head to address that they were given.

The apartment building was huge, and apparently they got the penthouse on the top floor.

They stood before the floor as it mocks both of them that this is their life now and that their future is what is to come.

That awkward conversation ended in six trust funds to activate when each child is born, they didn't give any protest because it was just too uncomfortable to argue against.

Scared out of their minds they both sigh, glance at each other and Logan makes the move to open the apartment door.

Walking in left both in astonishment. It was a beautiful open floor plan, with all the necessities.

The couple took off their coats, hung them up and walked around. Rory reached the kitchen to see a package and two thick envelopes.

"Logan! Come here!" Rory called out with slight panic in her voice.

Logan comes back into Rory's view.

"What?"

"A package and an envelope for each of us."

They look at each other then slowly grab their envelopes.

Rory opens her's and sees a key, a black American Express card with her full name printed in silver on it and a folded stack papers she pulled it out to read it. Or them to be more accurate. They were letters.

Rory pulled out a chair and started to read the first letter.

Dear Lorelai,

This may come as a shock, that I suddenly am writing to you after all these years. I wanted to apologize for what has come across as an awful accusation when you were 16. My husband and I didn't mean to make you feel as if you were a mistake as I can only assume that is what you must of felt like. I always wanted to reach out to you Lorelai, but there are restrictions and policies I must follow when it comes to society, and for that I am sorry. My son, Christopher, was always a bright boy, but when it came to your mother he didn't have the slightest clue of what to do. When he came to us tell us that your mother was pregnant we weren't happy to say the least, but we needed to come up with a solution and that was marriage. Of course your mother thought other wise and ran away, but you are a gem, Lorelai. I have heard great many things from Christopher, Emily and Richard and I hope I can be a more prominent person in your life. I want to get to know you and I have heard of new developments in a relationship. I wish you the best on your impending marriage and I do hope to see an invite in the mail and meet the man whose caught your heart. I'm glad to have you as my granddaughter, Lorelai and I hope to see if we can get together some time in the near future, I have some things I wanted to discuss with you that are quite important, but if you wish to not see me I would understand. Emily has my number if you wish to contact me.

Sincerely,

Francine Hayden

Rory choked on a sob, Logan looked up from his own letters to see a distraught Rory.

"Ace? What's wrong?"

"My Hayden grandmother what's to get to know me after all these years."

"What do you mean?"

"You know the Haydens, Straub and Francine, I met them when I was 16 and they made me feel like I ruined my dad's life, I was a mistake. Then Straub died and I had to go see me dad and apologize for things I've said. And Francine wants to reach out. After all these years.

Logan saw the letter and noticed it was dated.

"Ace, this isn't newly dated."

"Huh?" Rory said and saw the date in the corner.

May 26, 2002

"What? This doesn't make any sense?" Rory said looking up at Logan. She stared at him for a moment before it clicked.

"Shoot! I was in Europe all summer that year. Crap!" Rory said as she ran to her phone she dialed a number and it rang twice before it answered.

"I need to speak with Emily Gilmore, it's urgent."

'one moment please' the maid on the other side of the phone spoke.

"Hello?"

"Grandma, do you have Francine Hayden's number?"

"Rory? Oh! Yes, yes of course!"

Rory rushed to get a pen out of her bag when Logan went up to her and handed her one. She mouthed a thank you and wrote the number that Emily recited for her.

"Thank you so much grandma, I'll call her first thing in the morning."

They exchanged goodbyes then Rory hung up and then saved her contact in her phone.

She then handed Logan his pen back.

He watched as Rory turned back to read the other letters:

Rory - 2nd letter:

Dear my darling granddaughter,

I hear the news of your birth hours later after the fact. I'm not happy how things turned out to be, my son knocking up his girlfriend at 17. Marriage is the only step that would right to give you a chance at a life you should succeed at. I can tell you will do remarkable things, even though you are only 10 hours old. I only held you for a brief moment before you were back in your mother's arms. You are a beautiful girl, with much potential in life. Of course your mother is stubborn and the fight for doing what is right is too much for a child to hear. I do hope that you'll become who you wish, but I ultimately hope that you become our heiress. I know your mother chose to not put our family name on the birth certificate, but you will receive the bulk of our whole fortune no matter how the future changes things, you are the first born, you are of great blood. When you are older and you read this, contact me, or unless I've kicked the bucket, talk to Francine. She'll set up a meeting with our lawyers and everything will sort out. I wish you the best in your future Lorelai Leigh Gilmore (Hayden) III.

Sincerely your grandfather,

Straub Hayden

Rory - 3rd letter:

Rory,

We hope you make our son happy. We don't say this a lot to him, but we love him and we want what's best for him. We believe, as his parents, that you are what is best for him. In the past months or so that you have known Logan, he has been happier. He isn't the commitment type, he gets that from me. I never saw the annoyance that my own father, Elias, saw when I was the same age. When it was going on with Logan, that was when I understood. He needs commitment, he needs stability, and we think your the solution. You may be wondering 'why me?', but ask yourself 'why not me?'. You two are a perfect match, don't sell yourself short. This engagement between you and my son is important. I don't expect a quick wedding, I'd prefer you both out of school first before planning, but with Shira and Emily, no doubt they will be prepared by the time Logan is done with school to start planning. Please put your foot down and not make this wedding a circus overflow, with pink, feathers, and all things glittery. Put your own personal touch, it is your wedding after all. My offer still stands for an internship, but a more prominent role is available as well. COO, Chief Operating Officer, is an open position just for you. You don't have to take it, just think about it. You'd officially be the COO when Logan is CEO. We wish you two the best and look forward to multiple grandchildren in the future.

Sincerely,

Mitchum & Shira Huntzberger