5.

The next morning I woke up, and the room was cold. I mentioned I don't get cold easily, and I meant it. This wasn't typical. I nestled in to my blankets, pulling them tight around my body, and breathed hot breath into my hands. It didn't help much.

Teeth chattering, I tossed the blanket off of me and dug through the old clothes hanging in the small closet. They still fit, mostly, which was a bit of a blessing. I gained a little weight since I left home and I had my doubts as I pulled the pants up my thighs, but they buttoned and zipped, and they'd stretch a bit on the drive in to work.

I shuddered, remembering the fateful walk. I always thought it was pointless to own a car in the city when I worked so close—that and financially I was still paying off student loans—but things were worsening in Brooklyn.

What's the world coming to? I thought, shaking my head. I brought a hand to my chest and winced as the fabric brushed against the burns. Better not touch those.

With a melancholy sigh, I left my room wearing layers on top of my layers. The wood gave me away as I walked past my parents' closed door.

Guess they didn't want to sleep with it open, I thought.

Just as I made it to the top of the stairs, their door swung open.

"You going in today, honey?" Mom asked.

I turned halfway and saw mom hanging out into the hallway. "Yeah, I figured I should go to smooth things over."

She smiled. "You're a good girl, Norah. Take your dad's car. Keys are on the counter. Be safe."

"Of course, mama. See you soon." Feeling chipper by the prospect of driving dad's car, I hopped down the steps and danced into the kitchen. The keys jingled when I picked them up, and the sound was music to my ears.

I cooked up a little toast, ate it with some butter, and left feeling a lot better about my mental state.