12.

I emerged into the hallway, lip swollen to a small grape and lathered in miracle cream. The wood creaked as I made my way downstairs and into the kitchen where mom scrubbed dishes with fervor.

"Hi mom."

"Oh, hi sweetie," she said, turning with a pan and a towel. "How's the lip?"

"The Aquaphor helped."

"That's good. Food's in the microwave."

Suddenly aware of my hunger, I went right over and opened it. A beautiful cellophane-wrapped breakfast burrito sparkled in the light. Grinning like a bandit making off with spoils, I took the plate, rounded the island, and slid into a chair.

Unwrapping my prize, I dug in with a gleeful squeal.

Thankfully, breakfast was uneventful.

The front door opened and closed with a sweep and a thud. I looked to the kitchen door, waiting for the intruder to make themselves known.

Russ walked in, smiling wide. "Hey sis."

"Hey Russ."

"Hi, honey, was the drive okay?" Mom asked.

"It was great, mom. PTSD, huh?"

"Yep," I said, looking forward.

"Yikes." He slid into the stool beside me.

I arched my brow. "Why are you here?"

He leaned over. "Prison break. We're going to a movie."

"A movie? Which one?"

"Welcome to Marwen? I hear it's good."

"I'd rather watch something unrelated to my mental state."

"Then we can watch something here. Gloria and I already watched most of the other stuff."

"Gloria?"

"My girlfriend. Well, ex-girlfriend."

"Already?"

"Yeah. She was a little put-off about the hospital thing."

"Oh. Sorry, Russ."

"Eh, no biggie. So, movie day?"

I grinned. "I'll get some blankets."

Despite every rational bone in my body telling me it wasn't true, my mind ventured to the priests in the parking lot and the dream I had the previous night.  Maybe we should watch movies on possession. I ran my tongue over my lip. Yep.