16.

Things got a little awkward after my failed seduction of the priest in training. He wouldn't even look at me, which I conceded was all my fault. We spent two days in each other's silence, like speaking would somehow make it all worse. He followed me wherever I went.

It was almost like having a prison guard keeping watch, escorting me to the restroom to take care of my business. I considered a prison-break but then I realized the only one keeping me here was me. If I didn't want to get better, all I had to do was say the word. 

And I did want to get better, didn't I?

In the morning of day two, Derek and I joined mom and dad for an uncomfortable trip to the grocery store. Mom insisted I come along, not realizing that Derek would have to come too. 

Everyone was quiet. We listened in to a country music station on the radio. Mom cleared her throat a few times, filling the hush with something less awkward.

"So ... Honey," Mom started. "Have you had any thoughts about what you're doing?"

I knew what mom meant, but I was feeling a little rebellious. "Thoughts on what?"

"You know." She waves her hands over her shoulder. "This."

Derek snapped his stare from the window to me, as if to ask the question himself. 

"What like changing my mind?" I asked. 

"Yes," she said bitterly.

"Nope."

Derek looked away, his rigid shoulders easing into the car seat. 

Devious thoughts rose to the front of my mind. Laughter bubbled in my stomach and threatened to spill. Turning to look through the window, I wrapped my hand around my mouth and stifled the laughs.