6.

Driving after such a long break is sort of like riding a bike, well ... scratch that, I wouldn't know much about bikes because when I was seven my father took the wheels off of our bikes and swore to buy us new ones. He never did.

But the drive to work was easy and fast, almost like I never stopped.  The hardest part was parallel parking but it only took me five or six tries.

"Oh! Hey, Norah, I can't believe what happened!" Jenna was practically hanging over the desk to get a look at me. "I saw the Insta, and whoa. Told Lisa, she was mad so you better go check in with her."

"Oh! How many likes did I get?" I stopped at the desk.

She slid back into her seat. "Forty-five."

"Ugh. Only? I hoped for fame at least. Thanks Jenna. Catch you later."

I walked by the desk and peered around the corner to see the room mostly empty. There were a few people in their cubicles hunched over computers, but none paid me any mind.

Lisa stood at the desk in her office rummaging through folders.

I knocked on the frame. "Morning, boss."

"Norah. I heard about the incident," she said, straightening up. She held the folders at her abdomen, clutching them in her claws. "Are you doing better?"

"Yes. Just a bit of shock and some burns."

"It wasn't the most ideal time, but you're better and that's what matters. You'll be in the meeting today for observations. Can you handle it?"

"Of course," I said, trying not to show my excitement. Talk about a Christmas present. In a meeting for some real experience! "What can I do to help?"

She offered the folders. "Set these at each chair. We'll have three guests. You, Rich, and I will be there too."

"You got it, boss." I grabbed the folders and left her office.

The carpet looked more green than gray as I walked, a putrid green-gray. My stomach twisted, but I looked up from the floor to the conference room and pushed the glass door open. It swung with ease and shut itself behind me.

I placed six folders out, one at each chair. I accompanied each with a plate and a napkin for the platter of seasonal donuts resting beautifully at the center of the long, cherry wood table.

"There."

The door opened and Rich entered with three clients. Lisa covered the rear and shut the door behind her.

I bowed my head to the clients, dropping my purse into my chair. "Good morning."

Rich offered a nod and the clients returned their greetings as they took their seats. I sat down on our side after Rich did.

Lisa took the seat between us and motioned to the donuts. "Please help yourself. 'Tis the season."

"Oh, how thoughtful," the woman in the middle said with bounding laughter. She grabbed her donut, and then the other two followed suit.

With the clients clear I gave in to my craving and took one for myself. I took a few bites. It was delightful, chewy, sweet, and had a perfect texture of sprinkles.

"So," the woman said, dabbing at her lips. "What can you offer us to make the change?"

I zoned the conversation out as I went in for the kill. I took the last bite, saliva glands sizzling as the donut melted in my mouth, and nearly moaned from the pleasure of the taste. I managed to stop that, but the uncomfortable twist returned to my stomach and I actually groaned out loud.

Involuntarily, I spit the donut out and a chill ran up my spine as spit fell against my chin. Then I screamed. It was shrill and harrowing, and it gave life to goosebumps across my flesh.

Everyone was looking.

I shook my head and furrowed my brows as the scream kept coming. I tried to shut my mouth but it fell back open on its own. A little scared, I slapped myself really hard. Finally my mouth fell under my control again. I clamped it shut and looked to Lisa.

She looks angry and scared, I thought. My job is definitely at stake. I brought the napkin to my lips and cleared my throat. "I'm so sorry. Please excuse me."

I slid my chair back, grabbed my purse, and fled the conference room. I looked to the cubicles as I passed, and those who remained stared at me with wide-eyed terror.

Jenna met me at the bathroom as I went for it. "What the hell?"

I shook my head as I took the handle. "I don't know." I twisted it, pushed it open, and slid inside.

Jenna followed. "What happened?"

"I don't know," I said in a harsh whisper. I moved to the sink and set my purse on the counter, rubbing my cheek. "I had to slap myself to make it stop."

Jenna took a sharp intake of breath and came to my side. She took my hand in hers. "It's a curse. Or a hex. Those sickos that tossed acid on you must have done it."

I laughed, but the idea crept into my mind. "No way," I shook my head. "No."

The door opened again.

I looked in the mirror to see Lisa walk in.

"Did that just happen?"

"I'm so sorry, Lisa. I don't know what to say."

"How am I supposed to recover from that? The clients are too shocked to even speak."

"I don't know," I said, trying to find something better to say. "I couldn't even close my mouth!"

She scrunched her nose and stared with wide, angry eyes.

I turned and moved closer, hands held in a prayer. "Lisa, please don't be mad. I'm actually a little scared here."

"I think she's been cursed."

Lisa looks to Jenna. "Stop. Norah, go to the doctor. Maybe to a shrink too. Come back tomorrow."

"Yes, thank you so much. I'll go right—" With my mouth open, my stomach erupted and vomit flew forward like a projectile. I scrambled away from my boss in terror and turned away. The vomit poured and poured like a faucet.

Jenna shrieked and backed up into the wall.

I went to the counter and grabbed hold of it, puking into the sink every three seconds until it stopped. Shoulders heaving, I spit as the taste stuck to my tongue.

"Oh my god," Jenna said.

Dread pooling in my stomach, I turned to face Lisa. She stood still, vomit dripping from her face and torso. It glittered with the green of my sprinkles.

"Get out." Lisa brought a shaky hand to her face and wiped it from her eyes and mouth the best she could. "Don't come back until after you've fixed whatever this is."

"Yes, boss."

I left, careful not to slip in my puke. The only thing I felt good about was that I ate a donut and didn't even have to worry about the calories. Talk about a second breakfast.