Chapter 1: Into the woods I go!

"Y/N!! HELP YOUR MOM SET UP THE KITCHEN!" A deep voice from outside shouted at me. I watch for a moment as my brother and dad try to get the couch inside the house by the front door before I decide to go do what I was told. Slipping my phone in my pocket, I hop out of the car and slam the door shut behind me as I slip into the house from the side.

I hum as I enter the dinning room to see my mom standing in the kitchen taking the silverware out of the boxes and setting them on the counter. As if she sensed my presence we made eye contact as she set the last roll of silverware beside her.

"Nice to see your ass isn't glued to the car seat anymore." Mom said, jokingly. She was a kind woman with h/c hair and e/c eyes. She was a bit on the plump side, but all the more reason to love her. She packed quite a punch with her sassy attitude.

"Trust me I would still be in the car if dad hadn't yelled at me to come in and help. And since I'm so kind I thought I'd do what was asked of me and do my part in helping." I replied to her snarky remark. "Besides, as your favorite child, I'm sure you missed me."

"Me miss you? Sweetie, I could make another one of you if I wanted to. I'd wait a few years and have a actual good child." Damn this woman and her comebacks.

"Wow, mom. And here I thought you'd soften up with the new nature scenery. Guess I was wrong. I've never felt more loved."

"Wouldn't be the first time you're wrong. Now put the silverware away and after that, put the table and chairs in the dining room." She playfully pushes my head and hands me the silverware. "The chairs and table are in the hallway. I'll be cleaning up the living room a bit." And with that she leaves me alone with my thoughts. 'Last time I checked, help meant a team effort.'

I open up a drawer and start separating the knives, spoons, and forks from each other and start putting them in their respective places. However, to add some spice, I place a couple spoons and such in various cabinets. So it's like a surprise when someone finds them. Satisfied with myself I begin setting the table and chairs in the dining room. After I struggle getting the table where it's supposed to be, I head outside to see the family sitting on the couch that's supposed to be inside already.

"What's going on? Did dad hurt himself?" I push Ian over to make room and plop down beside him.

Ian shakes his head. "Nah, we couldn't get the couch through the door and dad was starting to get pissed. Maybe if you'd actually be useful and help- was that supposed to hurt!" I smack him

"Did you want it to?" I say after my less than successful attempt to punch him. "And what am I gonna do? If you and dad couldn't get it through what makes you think my stringbean ass is going to? And by myself at that."

"Knock it off. Y/n don't hit your brother. Ian stop being a prick to your sister." Ian scoffs and glances at me. He looks away from me but still pushes me off the couch. "What did I just say?"

"Whoops. Hey listen since we live here now or whatever, can we go into town? I'm hungry."

"Ask your dad. Since he's not bringing in the couch he's got some free time." My mom says, kinda taking a jab at my dad.

Ian looks expectly at dad. "Can you take me into town? I'm starving."

He shrugs and turns to me. "Sure. Y/n do you want to come along? We can grab some extra snacks as well as a pizza for dinner." I shake my head. "Alright, I guess it's just you and me, bud. Let's head out now." Ian nods and heads to dad's car. As they pull away dad rolls down the window and yells, "Y/n, and this for you too Ian, don't go into those woods by yourself. Better yet stay out of them period. Got that?"

"When have I ever not listened to you?"

"I can think of a few examples. But I'm not kidding so don't take this lightly. I find out you did, grounded. Got it?" I sigh and nod. "Good." Dad backs up the truck and zooms out of the driveway. I don't bother watching them as I turn to my mom.

"Moooom. You love me right?"

"You heard your dad. I don't wanna get into a fight with him. And besides, he's right. Those woods could be dangerous, you don't know what's out there." She walks off.

"Mother, you know I'm responsible and a coward. So if I hear or god forbid see anything I'll run until I can't anymore." Mom turns around unconvinced. Dammit. "Will this change your mind?" I say as a slide a crisp $20 towards her. "No? I can always still beg and whine until my voice gives out. So, for both of us, please?"

With an eye roll, she snatches the 20 and mutters, "Fine, but please be careful."

"I always am! Byeeee and I love you! I have my phone and it's fully charged!" I declare as I turn around to face the woods. With my phone in my hand, a smile on my face, and some pep in my step I practically sprint into those woods, a sense of adventure on top of my heart.

Chapter 1 - rewritten