𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞

"EDWARD!" EVELYN SHOUTED AS THE FRESHLY TRIMMED GRASS SCRAPED AGAINST HER SHINS as she tried to catch the ball the young boy carried

"EDWARD!" EVELYN SHOUTED AS THE FRESHLY TRIMMED GRASS SCRAPED AGAINST HER SHINS as she tried to catch the ball the young boy carried. She smoothed down the sides of her yellow skirt and wiped the slight amount of sweat which was forming on her forehead, however she was too focused on young Edward Johnson to realise his older brother Henry had snuck behind her and wrapped his arms around her waist.

"Henry!" She cried with a laugh, "what are you doing?" she then turned, gazing at him, appreciating the look of love and admiration that could be seen through his eyes. Yes, she also withheld this look in her own eyes however she would never dare admit it to herself or the Johnson boy.

"You're supposed to catch the ball, not me!" She grinned. "Oh, and mum wants you to come round for tea later since you weren't able to come last week."

"Yeah of course, as long as you make your special sunday cake." He smiled, releasing his hold on her before moving his hand onto her back and directing her to follow his younger brother through the field.

The girl couldn't help but laugh as grabbed ling pieces of grass as they walked. "I swear Michael, you're the only one who likes it."

Nevertheless, she lost focus on the older boy when a shining black citroen ventured up the lane towards Mrs Johnson's home. She remained captivated by the expensive looking car until an older looking man climbed out of the vehicle. His piercing blue eyes connected with her own before turning to look into those of Henry's mother.

"Do you know who that is Henry?" She questioned warily to the boy behind her, who's hand remained respectfully on her waist. "No idea." He replied, only partly focused on the question as he studied the older man.

With that he jogged up the dusty lane towards his home, followed by his younger brother and Evelyn.

Suddenly, Mrs Johnson appeared her hair falling in small pieces around her face as she ushered the three children inside the cottage, "Go on, wash you're hands you lot."

Evelyn continued up the cobbled steps about to follow after Edward however, she noted the Henry had fallen still behind her. His eyes continued to rest on the man in the expensive suit and peaked cap.

She released a heavy sigh gently wrapping her hand around his arm, "Henry, come on, we've no business listening in on the conversation."

"They're talking about me." He replied without looking at her his eyes furrowed in concentration. Suddenly, before she could stop him, he made his way over to his mother and the stranger.

"Henry! What are you doing?" She spoke in a shouted whisper.

"Henry, Evelyn sweetheart, go back inside please.

"Who are you?" Michael asked, a frown taking over his face directed at the man who was causing his adoptive mother so much distress.

"You're real name is Michael Gray..." The man spike as he put his hand jnto his jacket pocket.

"You're real mother wants to see you. Her address is on the back of this card, she just wants to talk."

Evelyn was frozen in stunned surprise as Mrs Johnson, a reserved and quiet woman by nature, began hitting the man and screaming. "Go away! Go away! Leave us alone!"

The man's gaze however, never knew moved from Michael. "She just wants to talk." He said one final time before he turned and strutted back to his car.

The surrounding air was filled with silence, bar the heavy breathing of Mrs Johnson. "Come on let's go back inside, you two." Evelyn studied Michael's expression, for the first time she was unable to decipher the boy. She could not make clear the thoughts that weighed heavy on his heart.

"Evelyn sweetheart, the bed upstairs has fresh linen. You can go make it while I make something for you two to eat, alright?"

"Thanks Mrs Johnson."

A while later the evening sun had set. The rest of the Johnson family had long since went to sleep leaving Evelyn to sneak into Michaels room which was beside the room she usually stayed in.

"Michael?" She whispered, her fingers gently grazing the handle of the door.

The boys heart began to speed up as he lit the small candle beside his bed, and through back the covers of his bed.

Evelyn then hurried across the room, the carpet soft against her feet as she climbed into the heavy quilt.

The tension in Michael was evident in the heavy silence of the room. The usual chatty boy burried under guilt and confusion. Evelyn couldnt help herself. "Are you going to find her?"

It was silent for a moment. A momrnt which felt much longer than a moment, before the boy spoke. "I'm not sure... Do you think I should?"

"Do you want me to be truthful?"

She couldn't see the boy but the noticable nod of his head encouraged her to continue.

"We've always hated this place, Michael." Evelyn spoke quietly. "We always said we would leave and this could be it. Our great adventure. I know you Michael, and you'd hate yourself for the rest of your life if you didn't find out who you're Mum was." She spoke as she turned on her side to face the boy. He did the same, turning his boy inwards, their noses almost touching.

"I think you're right, but I have to do it alone. I need to. After I do I'll come back for you, and we can go. Just the two of us."

Evelyns heart began to speed as she gazed into his eyes, "Do you promise?"

"I promise."