𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐎𝐧𝐞

𝐑𝐞𝐮𝐧𝐢𝐟𝐲

The night rides in on a horse of pure midnight, beckoned by the stars under a glow of a full moon, as the colours of the day rest

A mother and daughter sat around an old, oak table reading a book together while the glowing embers of a small fire leapt and twirled in a fiery dance. The small girl trailed her eyes along the words as her mothers soothing voice spoke softly, reading each word in a quiet whisper as if trying to keep the text a silent secret.

"And then he whispered that he loved her..." The hushed voice of Evelyn Allen carried to the ears of her daughter. "And together they travelled far and wide for the rest of their days, living happily...ever...after."

The light giggle of Rosie Allen-Gray filled the small room.

"But mummy what happened after?" Rose groaned a small pout noticeable on her face.

"Didn't you listen darling? They lived happily ever after." Evie replied as she gazed at her daughter with nothing but love and admiration.

"But after that?" She requestioned as her head lolled down to one shoulder casting her bobbed hair onto the faded collar of her dress.

"Well I guess you'll have to think of something yourself." Evelyn began tickling her daughter's sides. Making her giggle and chuckle, bringing a smile to Evie's face.

Suddenly the ringing of the telephone interrupted them causing Evelyn to walk to the hallway of the cottage.

"This is Evelyn Allen, may I ask who's calling?" She questioned as she watched her daughter. She could see her butterscotch hair flow as she danced around the kitchen, danced like the joy of life within her could not be tamed. The small yellow dress spinning as she twirled. But to Evelyn she was the world itself and without her she couldn't enjoy something as simple as a flower blossoming or the rising of the morning sun. There is nothing she wouldn't do to keep her safe from harm. However...she couldn't protect her forever.

"Evelyn get to the hospital." The rushed voice of Thomas Shelby spoke at the other end of the telephone line.

"Thomas?" She asked, barely a whisper.

"It's Michael and John...they've been shot."

And Evelyn could have sworn her heart stopped.