𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐞𝐧

𝐃𝐢𝐬𝐪𝐮𝐢𝐞𝐭𝐮𝐝𝐞

He inhaled slowly, his system responding to the smoke

He inhaled slowly, his system responding to the smoke. Michael felt his lungs being wrapped by a warm blanket, taking small, slow draws of the cigarette.

Releasing the ash, he gazed over at Evelyn who was lying on his hospital bed reading with his daughter. The sight before him warmed his soul. He wanted the feeling to still be there when he was old. He closed his eyes for a moment and savoured the feeling of contentment, but he never released his grip on the seemingly inconsequential piece of paper and ink in his hands. For the first time in forever his body and mind relaxed. In that moment, as he looked at his family there were no expectations upon him. He was content. Peaceful.

Happy.

A nurse however interrupted his tranquility. Michael studied her, noticing her movements, observing her every move.

"What are you doing?" He asked her, catching the attention of Evelyn, as the nurse peeked into a bag that rested on the chair beside him.

Before anything could be done, the nurse stole the bag. Snatching it within her grasp and exiting the room but not before pushing Michael to the ground causing Evelyn to raise from her seat on the bed and unwrapping her arm from around her daughter.

"Michael!" She didn't just raise her voice, her muscles tensed as she ran to help him.

"Daddy?" Rosie questioned her eyes filling with small tears.

"I'm alright darlin', I promise" He reassured his daughter.

Michaels attention was then drawn to the entrance of his room. Eyes widened, breaths ragged and harsh. Michaels hands trembled at his sides.

Evelyn froze in her spot. She could feel the sweat drench her skin, the throbbing of her own eyes, the ringing screams vibrating in her ears, and the thumping of her heart against her chest. Her fingers curled into a fist, nails digging into her palm. She couldn't hear her rapid breathing, but she could feel the oxygen flooding in and out of her lungs. Hesitantly, she lifted her eyes to look at the entrance of the room.

"Uh, uh, uh. Where I'm from, a hat on the beds unlucky." He spoke his accent drawing out each word slowly.

She couldn't breath, it felt as if someone was choking her. Her heart was racing and all she wanted to do was curl up into a ball and wait for someone to save her. But no one could. A choked cry for help forced itself up her throat, and she felt a drop run down her cheek. It seemed as if this was the end of the road for her as Luca Changretta stalked towards her like she was his pray and placed the gun against her forehead, as his men began to grab Michael. Of course he defenceless due to his injuries, however he fought. He fought for his fiancée, his love, his Evie.

"I think killing your love, the mother of your child..." He stated slowly as he dragged the gun down infront of her face, "would be much...much....worse."

Rosie's cries for her mummy and Michaels screams for his fiancée, as Luca's men held him back, became hazy as if underwater. She welcomed the silence.

"Now your lucks run out." Luca whispered.

"Please, look after my darlings...please, look after my darlings" She prayed, muttering the words softly under her breathe.

The trigger was squeezed. Evelyns body was frozen, prepared for her end.

But her end never came.

An empty click from Luca Changrettas gun was heard. Michael froze. Evelyn froze. Rosie's screams were chaotic.

Luca retreated, "And tell your mother, we have a deal."

He backed towards the door of the room with his men, vanishing as quickly as they appeared.

As soon as Luca left she grabbed onto Rosie, however she was fearful her violent shaking would cause her to fall. From her eyes came a thicker flow of tears than she had ever cried before. The whole world had vanished for her, now there was only pain enough to break her, pain enough to change her beyond recognition.

"Michael." She mumbled as her tears soaked her face along with Michaels dressing gown as he embraced her.

'Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.' He repeated in his head, over and over like a mantra.

"I'm sorry...I'm sorry...Evie I-I'm so sorry...God I'm so sorry Evie." He whispered, his voice shaking due to the overpowering emotions.

"I love you...I love you so much." He stated as he kissed her forehead. "Both of you...I'm so sorry."

Trying to remember how to breathe, unable to speak, totally stunned as Michaels words bounced around inside her skull. Evelyn could feel it in her chest, the fear that was deep as poison.

The fear that would forever take its place as long as she was in love with Michael Gray.