𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐒𝐢𝐱

𝐓𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐪𝐮𝐢𝐥

The kind of thick silence that hung over Michaels hospital room would normally chill Evelyn, especially on an inky night devoid of even moonlight or stars, but tonight it calmed her

The kind of thick silence that hung over Michaels hospital room would normally chill Evelyn, especially on an inky night devoid of even moonlight or stars, but tonight it calmed her. It gave her a sense of peacefulness she had been longing for her whole life.

"It was his funeral today." Michaels voice broke her train of thoughts.

She removed her gaze from her daughter who was playing on the chair at the other side of the room.

"Are you alright?" Evelyn asked as she lifted her head off his chest.

She traced his bottom lip lightly with her finger. His lip felt slightly chapped under her feather light touches but she simply could not bring herself to care.

The two had grown closer over the past number of days, healing old wounds as Michael was recovering in the hospital. Sharing small gazes, and innocent touches here and there. She refused to leave, begging the nurses to bring in another bed for Rosie so that they could stay with Michael, she however slept in the same bed as him where more gentle kisses and feathering touches were placed, but nothing more.

"I just keep thinking about his face. He knew he was dying in his last seconds. Imagine. Knowing you'll never see your kids again, not watching them grow up, leaving everyone behind." Tears began to leak out the corners of his eyes.

Evelyn sat up a little. Her hand rested below his ear, her thumb caressing his cheek as their breaths mingled. She wiped her thumb under his eye getting rid of the tear and pressed gentle kisses on his forehead.

"I know...I know." She muttered into his hair.

"It makes me thankful, you know? Having you and Rosie." he looked at her. Gazing into her eyes with such a rare intensity it almost made her shiver.

When she looked at him it was as if every ounce of breath was taken from his lungs floating into the air like midnight smoke. Every time he kissed her it felt like the world stopped, leaving just the two of them to wander the earth together. Every time she held his face between her small hands it felt like she was untying all of his knots. Holding him for eternity in the arms he had grown so accustomed to. He knew this was what falling in love was like, a story you never wanted to end. For so long he had longed for it, and now he could't bare to lose it - lose that thing that makes him feel so complete. Therefore causing him to release a shaky sigh and ask one question.

One question he has waited six years to ask.