𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐍𝐢𝐧𝐞

𝐀𝐩𝐨𝐝𝐲𝐨𝐩𝐬𝐢𝐬

Giving access to both floors, the stairs swept ever upwards

Giving access to both floors, the stairs swept ever upwards. It's smooth slightly rounded banister guided Evelyn to the top floor.

However, as she was ascending the steps she heard the sound of heavy footsteps echoing through the halls. Lifting her gaze towards the person her breath caught in her throat, unable to be exhaled.

"Michael." She replied, in a whisper.

It was then Michael realised Evelyn wasn't beautiful in the classical way, no flowing golden curls or flawless skin. No piercing eyes of blue. But in her ordinariness she was stunning. Something radiated from within that rendered her irresistible to both genders.

Her scarlet lips were parted. Her perfectly manicured rouge fingernails rested against the banister. Her prominent cheekbones and bronzed complection gave her a glow that every woman envied.

And in that moment Michael was sure he was falling in love all over again.

So he gave her a smile, a smile that just seemed so genuinely sweet with just the right touch of shyness, that unexpected warmth rushed through her.

"Evie" he breathed, ignoring the feeling of guilt that settled in his stomach as he thought of his previous activities.

As he reached towards her she took a step back, gazing at him as if had just taken the light from her life. Smiles ceased to happen, or if they did, they looked so dead. There wasn't any shine in her eyes when she looked at him.

"How could you..." She questioned her eyes, he eyes glazed over with unleashed tears.

"2 years Michael, is that how long it takes?" Evelyn stated while a lone tear traced down her cheek.

"Cmon..." So he gently took her hand and carefully pulled her to his room were they could finally speak after 2 years of silence.

"Two years Michael...Two bloody fucking years!" she began to shout.

"Leaving me was okay. People leave me all of the time, alright? I get it. What hurts like hell is when you made me feel so damn special two years ago and so unwanted now. God, I should hate you Michael." She began to mutter

"Ev-" "NO! Do you realise what you did to me Michael? So many nights I cried myself to sleep because of you. Feeling my heart, get pulled out of my chest."

"Your engaged..." A deafening silence followed after Michael spoke.

She looked at him as if she was about to break, "what did you expect? You have new life now. You don't need me anymore."

"I'll always need you."

And so she broke. The sobs punched through, ripping her muscles, bones and guts. The muscles of her chin trembled as she stared at him.

So he held her, trying to keep him himself together.

He bent down his lips delicately brushing against her cheek then grazing to her temple and across her forehead sending shivers down her spine, that made her whole body tremble.

And so he kissed her. Softly at first, then with a swift gradation of intensity that made her grasp onto him as if he was the only steady thing in a swaying world.

He was kissing her harder, deeper with a fervent urgent need she had never known before.

He had his arms around her. His lips pressed against hers and  her arms wrapped around the back of his neck. The kiss grew heated and sloppy, both panting for air. Although they both needed it, neither of them wanted to pull away.

"Are you sure?" He questioned while their foreheads remained touching.

"Yes."