𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐅𝐢𝐯𝐞

𝐈𝐧𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐬𝐨𝐥𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐞

Evelyn crept out the door onto the old, stone steps

Evelyn crept out the door onto the old, stone steps. Early morning. A fresh new day. Their old farmhouse sat comfortably on an acre of grass and gardens, surrounded by trees. Distant sounds of animals filtered through trees, muted background music. She sat on the cracked steps and took a deep contented breath. Dawn's ragged swirls of mist lingered among the apple trees. Her mother's bed of daffodils glowed yellow in the morning light. Evelyn hugged herself, while a nippy breeze poked through her thin cotton dressing gown.

It is one of the most painful things in life to miss someone. Everytime, theres a silent ache in your heart which is definitely unbearable. And the saddest part of missing comes when you know the person is somewhere on this earth but still you can not meet him. You can not look into his eyes and explain how badly you want him, how much you crave his comfort.

The reason Evelyn felt this way was because she had not spoken in person to Michael since her last visit to Small Heath which was over two years ago. Letters were exchanged between the two until they stopped along with her heart. Not from Evelyn but Michael. She continued to write on the odd occasion just hoping too get a reply however she never received one.

Nevertheless, she did keep in touch with Polly, letting the women fall in love with her with every passing letter and hoping she would have a daughter in law quite soon. She often asked Polly of how Michael was and if he was well and she would often reply he had lots going on and could never find the time to write, but Evelyn knew she just wanted to spare her feeling from the fact that Michael no longer needed her.

As she thought of it, tears of despondency slowly cascaded down her cheeks leaving her broken. Once that first tear broke free, the rest followed in an unbroken stream.

For her mother, it was painful to see her like this. All she could do was embrace her and let the deluge of her tears to soak through her dress. Evelyn could feel herself clench her fists, not knowing whether to be mad or to give up hope all together. Her poor mother could hear her silently screaming, suffocating with each breath she took holding onto her pride. So she ran her fingers through her hair, time and time again, in an attempt to calm the silent war within her mind.

So as she sat on the stone steps of her home loneliness bit to the bone, yet the naked pity in her mothers eyes made her want to shout, "Leave me alone! I don't want pity." He left her alone, and memories filled the silence. Evelyn longed for what could never be. Her Henry back. The winter sky, gray as stone, cried with her.