𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐄𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

𝐏𝐞𝐫𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐛𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧

"Hello mum." Evelyn heard the sound of Michaels voice making her wake suddenly, every thought in high definition. Her eyes take in every ray of light and without a doubt she knew she slept too long. The noises of the day in full swing. Nurses chatting. Horns beeping. Beds being wheeled along the corridor.

"They said you'd be out cold." Polly replied to Michael, not realising Evelyn had woken from her slumber beside him.

"Morning Pol" Evie muttered as she pushed the long strands of walnut coloured hair out of her face.

Michael immediately tried to sit up so he could embrace her.

"No don't move." Evelyn smiled. "The doctor said they'd sewn you up like a football."

"They said you took four bullets. Only one was live, one was ricochet, two were already spent." Poll looked worriedly at her son and she fiddled with him.

"Wheres Tommy?" Michael asked, wincing in pain.

"Don't worry about Tommy, Michael just get better." Evie complained trying to convince him, but she knew Michael was too stubborn.

"Where is he?" He continued to persist.

"Tommy's back. We're all back. The garrison, watery Lane, Charlie's yard." The comment made Evelyn smile as despite the fact people were trying to kill them.

They were all together again.

"I need a cigarette" Michael suddenly stated.

"I've made a decision" Polly ignored him and pulled out a small, crumbled leaflet.

"Give me cigarette mum." Michael softly demanded.

"No! Not in front of Rosie, Michael. Anyway it's not allowed." Evie fussed

"It's not allowed?" He looked at her with a smirk. Yes, it was a mocking smirk however his eyes were filled with nothing but humour and love as he gazed at her.

"I've decided we're going to get away." Polly continued interrupting their moment.

"Australia." She stated almost panicky.

"Can I come to gran?" Rosie asked as she crawled and placed herself on Pollys knee.

"Course you can dear. You and your mum are coming with us." Polly said in return as she kissed the little girls cheek.

"And I've been to Cunard office and I got a magazine. America's no good cause that's where they are but there's no Italians in Australia." She said hurriedly fiddling with the small piece of paper in her hands.

"I think there are Polly." Evelyn smiled feeling a little sympathy begin to spread through her for the older woman.

"Bad ones I mean." Polly corrected herself.

"Have you stopped taking those prison tablets?" Michael questioned. He was feeling suspicious of his mother now.

"Don't you worry about me-" Polly began. But was interrupted by Evie.

"We do." She said

"Just get better Michael. The doctor says it'll be five weeks. Then you'll be up and walking. Now there's a boat the leave February 13th-"

"Pol-" Evelyn tried to slip into the conversation before Michael interrupted her.

"Tell Tommy I need to see him. Tell him to bring a gun small enough to fit in the chamber pot in case they come back." He mumbled. There was an air of lethargy about him but Evelyn guessed it was the excitement and nerves from the previous night, that had just snatched his energy from him.

"No I've banned Tommy from coming." This caused Evie to smirk.

"Are the factories going back to work tomorrow?"

"Just forget the fucking factories" Polly's voice raised slightly.

"Is there any word of them going on strike?" Michael once again tried to change the subject.

"We're going to Australia. It will just be us four and your sister. Because I've found out where she's buried, somewhere out near Melbourne." Polly carried on despite Michael.

"Listen mum. I'm going to get better slowly. But you need to get better fast. Without you...he falls apart and without him, they'll take us all. You've got to get us through this." Polly began shaking her head as she was now in a state of hopelessness.

"Then I promise we'll. Board than train with you and we'll go to Australia." Michael lied, knowing he would never raise his daughter somewhere other than Birmingham.

"Besides Pol we need your help with something."

"Your not pregnant again are you?" Her face paled.

"Pol! No!" Evie and Michael laughed.

"Good I don't want you two fucking in the hospital." Polly said and Evelyn immediately went to cover her daughter's ears.

"Mummy and daddy are getting married!" Rosie shouted giggling innocently at the look her mother was giving her.

Polly sat back and let the happiness soak right into her bones. She wanted the feeling of joy to still be there when he was old and grey. She closed her eyes and savoured the moment, but never released her grip on young Rosie who was still placed on her knee.

"O my god..." she whispered shakily bringing up her right hand to cover her mouth as the tears began. However, the smile could still be seen.

"I thought you would never do it..."

The sun poured out it's brilliant hot oranges and reds into the horizon like a pot of molten lava. One beam of light shining onto the ring the was placed on her finger and Polly smiled.

Polly Shelby finally smiled.