Chapter 30

Kamar was exactly where Damarius thought he would be. Sitting in his throne room with two vampires guarding the door. Both of them were in full armor and all you could see was their glowing blue eyes through the holes in the helmet. They were both around 6'2" and 280 pounds, but they still had to look up at Damarius as we approached them. They drew their swords immediately and pointed them at us, glaring at me as their eyes glowed brighter. Damarius' power shot out like a hot storm as he moved in front of me.

"How dare you draw your weapons at the King's lover," He growled at them. I was a little thrown off by his choice of words but he was aware I didn't like being called a concubine.

"She was human before. This can't be the same woman."

I moved out from behind Damarius and met their eyes. "You're right, I was human, but I'm not anymore."

"How is this possible? Your power... it's nothing that I've sensed before." The other vampire replied.

"We need to speak with the King," Damarius said.

"The King has ordered no visitors right now."

"I'm sure he will make an exception for us," I replied confidently.

"Concubine or not. We must follow the King's orders."

"Then will you please go ask him if we can come in?"

"No," the other vampire replied, and I was starting to get annoyed.

"Listen, we need to speak with him. It's urgent. If you won't let us in then we will let ourselves in."

"You don't want to do that," a familiar voice said from behind us. We turned around to find Shard walking up to us in a black velvet duster, skinny black pants and a silky black top. Sometimes I liked a little bit of color to my wardrobe, but his bright blue eyes really popped against the dark attire. His long black hair was hanging beautifully down his back; it was almost brushing his waist when he walked.

"These are trained killers Miss Solomon, and although your power feels quite strong, do you have the skill to kill them before they kill you?" He asked with a smile. He had always acted creepy around me, so it didn't surprise me that he hadn't changed. He moved around us and whispered in one of the vampire's ear before they opened the door to let us in. Shard turned to me and gave a slight bow as he held the door open for us.

"After you, my concubine," he said with a smile, and it took everything in me not to fix his wording. I hated being called that, and I'm pretty sure he could sense my disapproval.

Damarius followed behind me as we entered the throne room. Kamar was standing before three men; I didn't recognize any of them. I glanced over my shoulder to see that there were two more guards on the inside, so maybe it was a good thing that I didn't pick a fight. Maybe I really did need training.

Kamar immediately stopped talking as we entered the room and dismissed the men as we approached him. A small smile curved on his lips as he stared down at me.

"How was your vacation with your family, little reaper?"

"I wouldn't say attending a funeral was a vacation. And is that my new nickname now?" I asked already irritated.

"What's wrong? You don't seem to be in a good mood."

"We need to talk about what's going on with us, and me."

He gave a nod and sat down in his chair. "Ask me whatever you like."

I lifted a brow. "Why are you in such a good mood?"

"Why wouldn't I be? The Council has been taken care of. I am still King. And our triune is complete."

"Yeah but..." I didn't know if I wanted to start this conversation right now, but honestly I just wanted to get it out there and over with.

"I don't know how to handle this triune thing."

"There's nothing you need to handle, little reaper. It exists whether you want it to or not."

"Yeah, and maybe I don't like that."

He sighed. "I know you have been pulled into a lot of this, but if I do remember correctly, you agreed to let my brother be your demon servant. So technically, you invited this into your life on your own free will."

My pulse immediately jumped into my throat. "Excuse me?! I didn't want to fucking die, and you use that to say I invited this shit into my life? Or are you just looking for an excuse not to feel guilty for all the shit you've put me through?"

"Vanessa, I can't fix what has happened, so the only choice we have is to move forward."

"No, I still have a choice, whether I'm connected to you or not with this supernatural bullshit."

"What, do you plan on eloping with my brother and avoid me for the rest of your life? Because that won't work."

I balled my hands into fists as my eyes started to change. "I'm so tired of you being in control of my life." I leaped towards him, letting my body react to the anger I was feeling. My nails scratched at his face and I threw the first punch. He dodged it, and grabbed me by the waist to flip me underneath him. I pulled my knees to my chest and shoved my feet into him, letting him feel the strength of my legs to send him flying back. I didn't throw him far, but it gave me enough time to come to my feet. I saw Damarius move to get in between us, but Kamar quickly ordered, "Don't intervene. If she wants to fight, then let her fight."

Damarius continued to move forward and Kamar's voice echoed off the walls.

"YOUR KING GAVE YOU AN ORDER."

I watched Damarius freeze in place as his eyes burned red. "Don't hurt her."

"You should be telling me not to hurt him," I said through gritted teeth, and ran at him again. Kamar gave me a small smile and swiped his leg under mine. I fell to the floor and braced for the impact. Kamar quickly moved on top of my back as I was face down, trying to crawl out from under him. He wrapped his arm around my neck and arched my body back as I clawed at his arms. God he was so strong. I closed my eyes for a moment and awakened that power inside of me. My body was panicking as it tried to get out of his grasp, and my power shot out like electricity. I screamed and pushed off the floor, sending both of us flying backwards until I slammed him into a wall. His grip loosened just enough for me to slide out of it and I turned around to kick him. He dodged that blow as well, and then I held my hand out for my scythe. It formed in my hand and sent a new wave of power through me, making my hands start to shake as it became overwhelming. I wouldn't let this turn into a fuck fest, not right now when I was in the mood to hurt him.

"You must be very angry with me to draw your scythe, little reaper. Do you want me dead?" He asked as he stared down at me. I could hear both of our heartbeats pounding and my grip was so tight on the handle that I thought I wouldn't be able to stop myself from swinging it. I met his hazel eyes, realizing they had never once turned red. It made me dial down just a bit and lower my weapon, but it didn't stop my hands from shaking. I gripped my scythe even tighter and chunked it at the far wall, not caring what it broke on the way there. I took a few steps back before turning around and heading for the door.

"Vanessa," Damarius said, and I shook my head.

"It's useless, Damarius. He won't ever care about anyone other than himself."

I opened the door and slammed it on my way out.

"Fucking soul sucking prick."

"Well isn't that the pot calling the kettle black," Shard said as he watched me throw my tantrum. I glared at him.

"I will eat you."

He let out a laugh. "My point exactly."