Another Persistent Lover

Klaus wondered what he had ever seen in her.

She was obviously still beautiful. Her thick curly black hair fell in perfect twirls down her back. Her green eyes were radiant off of her pure white skin. She was thin, but had curves in all the right places. She was a man's dream.

But Klaus saw right through all her beauty.

"You're very foolish for coming here."

His threatening voice didn't have any effect on her. She actually giggled.

"Or perhaps you're the foolish one, Klaus. Did you really think that you would be invited to a Gathering, now that you're..." she paused for dramatic effect, "...special?"

Maria was the host, but Klaus certainly knew she did not send out the invitations. Invitations were reserved for the Watchers, the vampires who kept tabs on all their kind. A Watcher would know if Klaus had completed his sacrifice, which would mean that Klaus would no longer be a guest at Gatherings, which would mean...

Klaus stepped dangerously close to Lucy, growling down at her, "You invited us here."

Her green eyes twinkled. "Technically, no. You see, I have a very good friend here with me. Dominic, is his name. He happens to be a Watcher and as his maker, I asked him ever so politely if he would invite you and that little slut of yours to come toni..."

She was cut off by Klaus' savage growl. Before she could register what happened, Klaus had snapped her wrist with a flick of his hand, covering his other hand over her mouth to cover her moan of pain.

A malicious smile crept over his face.

"I do not take lightly to negative words against Caroline, Lucy. Do not tempt me to snap your neck in front of all the people." He could feel the stares starting to look towards them, but no one dared to make a move. An Original was not one to be messed with.

"You forget that I am protected, Niklaus. Even if you did kill me, you would die instantly. You know that."

Oh, how he did. That was a memory he certainly did not want to rehash.

Lucy regained her wrist as it healed within moments. She smiled sweetly.

"Have you really not missed me, Niklaus?"

"Not even for a second."

"Oh, I don't believe that. I recall you having told me once that I was the most seductive woman you had ever met. Don't tell me your taste in women has changed since me."

"I think I made it perfectly clear last time we spoke that I loathe you. I find it pathetic you have not moved on."

Lucy's face turned down in a very suggestive pout. There was a time when Klaus would have found that attractive, but now he only looked at her with disgust.

"You know what... I want to meet this new lover of yours. It only makes sense that I meet my competition."

She sped off towards the end of the ballroom where he had left Caroline. With balanced feelings of protectiveness for Caroline and blood thirst for Lucy, he followed.

Caroline was in agony.

Dominic was not only creepy as hell, but just a plain nuisance. He refreshed her cup, sat an uncomfortable distance next to Caroline, and would not stop making constant comments on her looks.

So it was with complete relief when he turned his attention away from her.

"Caroline, may I introduce you to my maker, Lucy."