Love and Hardships

It was the early afternoon when Klaus and Caroline finally left the bedroom. He carried her down the stairs, and after placing her at his dining room table, sweetly kissed her temple.

"So is this how forever will be like? You treating me like royalty?"

He laughed. "A woman with your beauty should always be treated with royalty, love."

"Again with the cheesy compliments? At least it can't be any worse than that horrid compliment you gave me at your family's ball."

"As I recall, I gave you many compliments that night. To which one are you referring to?"

This one.

She closed her eyes and put into her mind the memory she recalled so well. She focused on Klaus' attire, her dress, the painting, and of course, his pathetic attempts at flirting with her.

She finally gazed down at the bracelet adorned on her wrist. She had assumed that he bought it for her, but a pestering thought had creeped in, that perhaps this was an old precious piece of jewelry of another woman's.

"What about these? Where'd you steal this from?"

He glanced briefly at the bracelet before meeting her gaze. "Well that's a long story...but rest assured it was worn by a princess almost as beautiful as you."

And he really thought that was supposed to make her fall at his feet?

She rolled her eyes, turning back to look at the drawings in the table. Somehow, however, she couldn't fully ignore the little flutterings in her stomach. No one had said anything like that to her before. Granted, this was a little cheesy for her liking, but the fact that he was saying something like this to her, Caroline Forbes...well it seemed impossible. She couldn't help but feel just a tad bit flattered.

She sighed loudly, trying to rid those thoughts from her head. What was she thinking? Klaus was a monster, why should she care so much about what he thought? Besides, he was probably just using her to get to Elena or the Salvatores, as people usually tried to do. None of this was real.

Caroline opened her eyes to see Klaus level with her. She blushed from the intensity of his stare, bringing her head down. His fingers grasped her chin lightly, bringing her face back up.

"You know I meant every word I said to you. And when you rebuked me, that was the first time my seductions did not work on a woman. It was very vexing, but in the end...very intriguing."

Caroline laid her forehead against his. "I know that now. But things were different back then."

"Indeed they were, Caroline...indeed they were."

They remained like that for a few moments, before Klaus pulled back with a smile.

"Alright sweetheart, what can I make for you this afternoon?"

She pouted her lips, faking thought and said, "How about some waffles?"

His eyes widened in confusion. "Well, I suppose so...if that is what you wish to ha..."

"Ohmygod, you are so lame! You're telling me you've never had breakfast for lunch before?"

He smirked and shook his head. "Never...but I am always open for suggestions."

She stood up from the table, putting her arms around his neck. "Well then...I'll introduce to you the new phenomenon of eating breakfast in bed at 2 in the afternoon. I'll be waiting."

And with a wink, she raced upstairs, throwing herself back into the covers.

They sat across from each other on the bed. Her eyes raked over his sketchbook, analyzing every picture while Klaus attempted to feed himself and her.