Apologies

Caroline finally decided to make a deal with Klaus. If he apologized to Caroline's friends, she would venture to Tyler's and explain everything to him. She was avoiding him just as much as her friends were avoiding Klaus.

Over the last couple weeks, Klaus and Caroline bonded even closer, letting open about their past, their thoughts, and feelings. It was fascinating to be with a man as old as Klaus...he had so many memories and experiences that she couldn't imagine going through. And how he remembered all these thousands of memories was a wonder itself. She noticed he loved to talk about the 20s. It seemed to be full of pleasant memories, as a twinkle appeared in his eyes every time he spoke if it.

"Oh, you would have loved the 1920s Caroline. Girls were reckless...sexy...fun. They literally used to dance until they dropped," he let out a small laugh, softly twirling Caroline's hair. She had her head on his chest, taking in his hybrid warmth with her shivering naked body.

"Well, I hope you find the girls of this time just as sexy..." Caroline looked up at him with a cynical brow, which only made Klaus laugh again at how adorable she looked.

"Only a few," he replied, tapping her nose. "One of them happens to be my mate," he added seductively, flipping them over and kissing down Caroline's neck.

She could feel herself heating up and growing wet again, but she was adamant that she got what she wanted out of him.

"The 20s was when you met Stefan, right?"

He didn't slow down his movements, lightly taking a finger and tracing her breasts carelessly. He was trying to avoid the subject, clearly.

"Hmmm mhmm," he concurred, eyes still focused on her body.

"Were you two friends?"

He trailed his fingers away from her chest, heading down south.

Oh no you don't.

Now she flipped them, taking his wrists in her hand and gripping them above his head.

"Klaus, I would appreciate it if you wouldn't distract me when I'm talking."

"Why, was it working?" he grinned wolfishly.

"I asked if you two were friends..."

Realizing how serious she was, he relaxed, letting his mind open up to her.

He was my best friend. I had forgotten what it was like to have a brother. Someone other than my sister to confide in. When we were leaving, Rebekah wanted to stay with him...in my fear of loneliness I staked her, not waking her until

Why?

He made me love who I was. That perhaps I wasn't an abomination.

She titled her head to the side, looking down at the regret in his eyes.

And what happened with you two?

My father showed up. I made him forget all about Rebekah and me. He was the only real friend I had for a long time.

How sweet.

Don't mock me, Caroline.

I'm not mocking.

She laid down on him, cupping his face in her hands. "Klaus, it's never too late to mend up friendships. I mean, no offense, but you kinda failed by trying to make Stefan all ripper again, but maybe if you tried a different way. If what you felt for him was real then, why wouldn't it be real now?"

"He was a ripper when I met him. Much has changed about him since then, love."

"His soul is still the same. He's still the same friendly, compassionate, loving guy that he was back then to you. Oh, stop looking at me like that!"