The Vampire's Weakness

He hadn't realized he was holding his breath until he saw the Original named Rebekah vanish with Caroline. He still could not pin point why Caroline was of such great value to him, but like he had told her...the idea of her dead agonized him.

"I am sorry Lucy...but I can't let you harm Caroline."

He let go of her neck. She stumbled back, grasping at the wall with a look of complete disbelief.

"I will not allow you to kill her," he seriously stated again, his black eyes defiant and brave.

Finally, Lucy rose to her full height, a spark of anger flashing in her eyes.

"How dare you," she hissed. Any passerby would have frozen in terror at the menace in her voice.

"How dare you turn against your maker. How dare you defend a girl who is worth nothing. Who has stolen what is mine! Have you lost your mind?"

"Perhaps..." Dominic whispered. His mind was trailing back to Caroline, hoping she was safe now. "She cannot be harmed."

"Why?" screeched Lucy. "You've hardly spent any time with that girl and now you are choosing her over me?" Why?"

Dominic only hesitated the briefest moment, before deciding to be completely honest with his maker.

"She is the loveliest thing I have seen in ages. It feels me with complete agony that a vampire with so much light and goodness should be killed for a selfish reason like our own. I believe that if I am to continue my loyalty to you, we must kill Klaus without your plan of sacrificing Caroline."

Lucy let out a chilling laugh. Dominic calmly watched as his maker wiped some tears from her eyes, still giggling.

"Oh Dominic how charming! How absolutely charming! But I fear killing Klaus is not an option."

This caught Dominic's attention. He cocked his head to the side, his eyes turning blacker.

"Because....you see Dominic...I never meant to kill Klaus...."

Dominic was in front of her in a second. "Excuse me?"

Lucy simpered. "I'm in love with Klaus, Dominic. We were made for each other. I only want to rid Caroline so I can gain my Klaus back. Honestly, I thought you would eventually catch my falsehood...apparently not."

Dominic had his hand back on Lucy's throat, his blood boiling and black eyes ablaze.

"I am giving you one chance right now to tell me if you are lying. Or else I will leave you with your rotten misguided beliefs of your love for Niklaus. And I will do everything in my power to protect Caroline and ensure her happiness."

"Does it look like I'm lying?" Lucy spat out.

They stared at each other for a moment. In that moment, Dominic saw that Lucy was, in fact, honest. She loved Niklaus and was going to win him back. It was a pitiful goal, but so it was.

Dominic ran, turning his back on Lucy and his known life. He raced away until he was at the edge of the ocean, the cool breeze filling his senses.

He had never in his existence had taken a fancy to a girl this quickly. It was her goodness, her kind-natured laugh and her sweet smile...those were his secret desires that he had finally found in an immortal. Things he had never seen in another vampire. His eyes softened at the thought of comforting her and protecting her from the evil of the world. Evil was light's worst enemy.

His heart hardened at the thought of her lover. Niklaus. The man who had murdered his family and his life. The monster and the murderer. Caroline had chosen this man to be her protector and comforter...a man who was evil himself. How could she? Had she seen something in Niklaus he hadn't. Did she personally yearn for that taste of darkness and evil?