The Werewolf

The moment Caroline hit the floor, several things happened at once.

Klaus flung himself onto Lucy, prepared to end her life without a care of the consequences. Elijah and Dominic, now in the room after following Caroline, flung themselves at the livid Klaus. Elijah yanked at Klaus, tearing him away from Lucy as Dominic ripped Lucy out of Klaus' grip. Rebekah was at Caroline's side in a flash, crying out at the sight of the stake. Without thinking, she grasped the stake and wrenched it from Caroline's back, as if thinking that this would bring Caroline back.

"Oh my god! Car...is she....?" Bonnie knelt down by Caroline, turning her body so that Caroline faced up.

"No...but the stake was much too close."

There were no veins to prove her death, but Caroline's skin had turned a deathly grey. Her cheeks had sunken in, the flush of youth no longer evident.

Suddenly Caroline's eyes opened, her mouth moved to speak, and blood spurted out from her mouth.

Her body started to shake violently, looking as if a seizure was taking over her. Her eyes glazed up at Bonnie's, unseeing.

Kol, standing behind Bonnie, now suddenly was at Caroline's side, pushing her down to the floor.

"Kol, what are doing?" Rebekah attempted to throw Kol off, but he pushed her away.

"Caroline!" His shook her hard, his hands almost breaking arms. "Caroline!"

He turned her over. Bonnie and Rebekah watched in fascination as he raised her blouse until he could see the wound. To their shock, the wound was not healing, but festering....bubbling like a boil. Black and purple veins were forming in her skin from the hole. Caroline twitched again as one vein suddenly grew out through her shoulder.

"Poison...she's been poisoned through the stake with witch magic," Kol swore under his breath, before turning to Bonnie. "Bonnie, you must do it now."

Bonnie had been too distracted to remember the purpose of entering this building. The sight of Caroline staked was unbearable and there was no way she could have possibly thought of anything else in that moment. She stood up shaking, but began to speak the spell that she hoped with all her soul would end all this madness.

Dominic faintly heard Bonnie begin to chant but his attention was solely focused on what Kol had just said.

His hand was still pinned to Lucy's neck against the wall. He slammed her head against it, anger boiling in his veins.

"You poisoned Caroline."

Lucy lifted her head with an air of superiority. "I wanted her dead. It is the only way for Klaus and I to be together."

Before Dominic could reply, Klaus was out of Elijah's grip and had shoved Dominic away, replacing himself at Lucy's neck.

"How dare you....how dare you come back into my life and destroy everything I have dear. After Caroline, who next? My sister? My brothers? What more to you wish to take away from me?" He slapped her hard across the face, sending her spiraling to the floor.

She was back up in a second. "Anything to make you mine."

Klaus sneered. "Why Lucy? Because you love me? Because you want me? Well, let me tell you something. You never loved me. Whatever is going on in your mind is not love, its evil. Love doesn't hurt others. Love doesn't kill. What you are doing to me....no person who loved would do such a thing."

Lucy stood completely still before him. Klaus was unprepared for her silence....before she went completely mad.

She burst into tears, angry tears that poured down her face. "I spend my whole life waiting for somebody to love me," she shrieked. "...ever since I became a vampire, not one person showed me any kindness. I was treated like a doll by Mikael. All his friends threw me around like trash. But you Niklaus...you showed my kindness and love. You...loved me. And when I lost you I swore I would get you back...even killing those you supposed you loved."