Chapter 9

I completely forgot we weren't the only ones in the space until they all started clapping. It woke me up like a splash of cold water. My smile fell as I blinked at the piano keys. Louis took my hand in his in secret on the bench and squeezed it lightly.

"We should get ready to open," he said softly. I knew that wasn't what he wanted to say by the hesitation in his voice. He released my hand to stand before placing a light kiss on my hair. I felt the blush creep into my cheeks. I hadn't sang a duet that intimate in a long time. Singing with Louis like that brought up old memories that I didn't want to think about. I stood and turned quickly to go to the locker room. Even though I only lived upstairs, I didn't want anyone else knowing yet besides Rose.

"Hey mamacita! That was awesome. It looked like something straight out of a k-drama the way Louis came out of nowhere and started singing with you. Where have you been all day?" Rose asked as soon as I stepped foot into the locker room. I sighed and ran a hand through my hair.

"Luci is taking me to a premiere this weekend. We had to get a dress," I said, only acknowledging her question. My nickname for Louis slipped out automatically, but it made me remember who he really was. That was something I couldn't allow myself to forget. So many things were running through my mind, I felt overwhelmed.

"Oh, swanky," she teased. I changed into my cocktail dress quickly.

"I had no idea you were such a good singer. It's no wonder you locked down the Dark Prince," another girl complimented from nearby.

"The Dark Prince?" I tried to asked casually. She couldn't have known about his true power, could she?

"That's what we all call him around here. He's so mysterious and aloof, but charming all the same. I hope you don't mind me saying so," she backtracked quickly. I shook my head before sitting to put on my heels.

"No, it's fine," I stopped her. The name fit him all too well.

"I'm Sarah, by the way," she introduced herself. I smiled at her as I stood in my heels.

"Megan," I replied. She chuckled.

"Oh we all know who you are," she said before leaving.

"But she's not wrong though. Your voice is amazing. Where are you hiding those lungs in that tiny body of yours?" Rose asked as she poked me in the ribs. I swatted her off as I rolled my eyes.

"We have to go get the floor ready," I said, trying to change the subject.

"Which floor are you on tonight?" Rose asked me.

"Platinum. You?" I asked.

"Gold. I think you're always going to be on the platinum section," she replied. The VIP levels were divided into bronze, silver, gold and platinum. The higher up, the more expensive it was. The servers who served in the higher tiers also had a chance of bigger tips. I went to my section and straightened up a bit.

"Megan," Louis said from behind me. I sighed before turning to look at him.

"Yes?" I answered.

"After the premier this weekend, a lot of people will want to know who you are. Schedule yourself as the live entertainment the day after," he said. I nodded and kept my eyes off of him. After singing with him, I felt shy around him.

"What are you thinking?" He asked as he stepped closer.

"About the duet earlier. I don't want to sing with you again," I answered honestly.

"Why?" He asked.

"It's too intimate. I made a promise with myself a long time ago. I promised I would never sing a duet again unless it was for a roll," I responded. He stepped toe to toe with me and lifted my chin with his finger.

"You are playing a roll. We have a reputation to uphold. And if we sing together at your live performance, people would stop questioning if we're really a couple," he said. My eyes widened on their own.

"People question it?" I asked dumbly. He scoffed and rolled his eyes, letting me go.

"You came out of nowhere and are suddenly dating me. Of course they would question it," he answered. "Actually, do one song tonight," he said as an afterthought.

"What? Why?" I asked.

"Because we went public today. I'm sure there are a few reporters sneaking around," he answered. I discussed song choices with him as we sat in the section together. He wanted to sing a duet again. It took some convincing but I finally got him to agree to let me do a solo pop song. I would go on at midnight. At 11:30 I would get a replacement in so I could go upstairs to change. Louis got to pick my outfit. After he left, I catered to the just arriving VIP. I was slightly nervous but also happy. This counted as booking my first gig.

Finally my replacement showed up and I went to change. Louis picked out a short silver sparkling number and red heels. I changed quickly before straightening my hair and going back downstairs. Louis was waiting for me on the other side of the elevator.

"You look great," he smiled.

"Ready," I assured him. He walked me to the side of the stage and cued the DJ.

"Ladies and gentlemen, we have a special treat for you tonight! Let's give a hand for our live entertainment tonight, Megan Prieto!" The DJ announces. I took the microphone from Louis and stepped onto the stage. I began singing the upbeat song and danced around the stage as I got more into it. I felt at home here. Everyone was watching and dancing along. When the song ended, I gave a quick bow before stepping off of the stage. I couldn't help it, I jumped into Louis' waiting arms. He hugged me tightly and spun me off the step before setting me down.

"That was awesome! Especially for putting you on the spot like that. Good job," he said as he set me down. He placed a kiss on my head before letting me go. I felt happy to have Louis proud of me. At least I didn't embarrass him and myself.

***

More TINI! 😍