Chapter 29

The next week passed without me leaving the house. If Luci has to go to The District, Michael would stay at the house with me. I pushed myself to work harder behind the scenes by booking the live acts for the clubs. I'd been slacking off doing it because of everything that had been happening to and around me. I sat in the study room in front of the computer researching and pulling various phone numbers before I set a calendar in front of me and began making the calls. After a moment, I took a break as I leaned back in the chair and rested my hands on my stomach. A knock on the door interrupted my thinking.

"Come in," I said, sitting up a bit. Michael came in holding a tray. Sitting it in front of me, it was a tray of snacks and tea. I chuckled and picked up the tea cup. "Tea time already, I see?" I joked. Michael smiled lightly before stretching in the seat on the other side of the desk.

"I figured you were ready for a break," he admitted. I nodded and sipped the tea lightly.

"You are correct," I smiled. "Thanks for this," I smiled at him.

"I have a question for you," Michael said, leaning forward in his chair. "If you knew then what you know now, would you have steered clear of Lucifer like I told you?" He asked. I hummed thoughtfully as I swiveled in the chair.

"No, I probably would've still fallen in love with Luci. Is it a little worrisome, sure, but if life is boring, it's not really worth living, is it? Luci said something like that to me once," I smiled lightly, remembering.

"But this is different than just having a little excitement. Your life is danger by the mere existence of your child. And say you do survive the constant attacks for the next three months and give birth to your child. You die anyway," Michael said. He almost seemed a little sad. I sighed and stood before I walked over and took Michael's hand in my own.

"Luci said he had a plan. He said he was going to give me a life source from himself to save me. I don't know if it'll work. But even if it doesn't, I've come to accept that I've eventually die. Whether it's by attack, or giving birth. I know Luci wants me to stay, but I don't think it's possible," I admitted. Michael sighed and held my hand in both of his before resting his forehead to the back of my hand. I chuckled and used my other hand to pat his head gently.

"Have you grown fond of this pet, Michael?" I joked. He sniffled and nodded silently. I sighed and continuously pet his hair in gentle, slow strokes as we stayed there silently.

"What's this? Are you being knighted, Michael?" Luci's voice came from the doorway. Michael raised his head and looked at me with glistening eyes and a tear streaked face. I smiled sadly at him before I dropped my hands at my side. Michael stood and stormed over to Luci before pulling him up by his collar.

"Michael-" I started. What had gotten into him?

"Why couldn't you just mind your own life? Why did you have to drag Megan into this?" He yelled at Luci. Luci clenched his jaw and pushed Michael's hands off of him.

"That's enough, Michael. Anymore and I'll start to think that you love her too," Luci said lowly. Michael sighed and turned away from him for a moment.

"What's this plan of yours anyway? You turning her into a Nephilim. You're going to give her your life source, and die as a result?" Michael asked when he turned back to Luci. My eyes widened in shock as I looked at Luci. He glanced at me before he cast his eyes towards the floor.

"Luci, What is Michael talking about?" I asked breathlessly. Luci didn't answer.

"Louis," I asked a little louder. His eyes went to mine in surprise. It'd been a while since I used his Earth name. He sighed and moved to sit in a chair.

"When I give you my life source, I'll have to give you all of it to bring you back. All my life, goes to you," he answered vaguely.

"Meaning you would have none left. Meaning you would die," I filled in the blanks. He nodded while I shook my head with tears in my eyes.

"Then just let me die," I breathed. Luci glared at me.

"I won't let that happen," he argued. I released a breath as my hands went to my head. I took a stutter step back and ran into a chest as a hand steadied my back.

"Megan, here take a seat," Michael said guiding me to sit down.

"Touch her again, and I'll chop off your hands," Luci grumbled under his breath.

"I'm supposed to protect her. That's what I'm doing. Do you want her to fall over and hurt herself from shock? It was your fault for not telling her in the first place," Michael argues back. Michael rubbed my back gently, turning his attention back to me.

"I won't let you sacrifice yourself for me," I said, trembling. Had I known that was the plan, I would have never agreed. Luci knew that.

"Well, it'll happen," Luci sighed. Michael picked up the teacup and held it out for me to take.

"Drink something," he said softly. I couldn't even hold the cup properly because of my trembling hands.

"Are you going to work tomorrow?" I asked, changing the direction of the conversation. Luci looked at me before releasing a breath.

"It's times like these I really wish I could understand what's going on in your head," Luci sighed as he stood. "I was planning to, but I don't have to," he answered. I handed the teacup back to Michael before clutching my hands together.

"You should go. We should try to continue life as normal until the time comes," I said softly. Luci hesitated before placing his hands on his hips.

"Well now I feel a little uncomfortable leaving you in Michael's hands. I had no idea you two had grown so close," Luci said jealously. I scoffed before I stood as well.

"If that's what worries you, your priorities are out of order. He looks after me like you told him to, that's all. The set list schedule is on your calendar. I booked out for the next three months," I replied before I walked out of the room.