Chapter 21

The mood was definitely different when we got back to Cali this time around. I was quiet the entire trip back. By the time we got back to the District, I felt numb. Luci was worried about me, and I knew it but I just couldn't seem to pull myself out of it.

I sat on the couch with my knees curled to my chest as I blankly stared at the floor. Luci knelt in front of me and took my hand in his.

"Megan, please snap out of it. I promise you everything is going to be fine. I'm here. I'm still right here, and I'm not going to let anything happen to you," he promised. I moved off of the couch and wrapped my arms around his neck tightly as I felt my tears overflow from my tear ducks.

"I'm so scared, Luci," I muttered into his shoulder. He hugged me back tightly as we just sat on the floor.

"I know. I'm so sorry," he apologized. I cried into his shoulder for a good ten minutes before my sobs subsided. When I pulled out of his grasp, his thumbs moved to wipe my tears away as he held my face. He kissed me gently before he rubbed his thumb over my cheek again.

"We still have the press to deal with if I'm going to start showing," I reminded him, trying to lighten the mood. He smiled gently at my attempt.

"Let's announce an engagement. I can propose to you somewhere nice and make sure pictures leak out, so you can keep your dignity at least. We can tell them about the pregnancy later. How does that sound?" He suggested. I hesitated before nodding.

"Okay," I said lamely.

"And you won't be working the floor at the club anymore. If you want to do something, let me know because you're sticking to my side like glue, understand me? I won't let anything happen to you... or our baby," he promised. I nodded.

"I should really explain to Rose. She probably thinks I'm still distraught," I thought aloud.

"You are still distraught," Luci joked.

"But I can't act like that around other people. I have to act like I'm the happiest girl in the world," I said, plastering a wide smile on my face. Luci smiled at me sympathetically as he pet my hair gently.

"She can come up during turnover and I'll stay hidden in my room. But my true identity and our child's identity as a Nephilim, I'm afraid that's a burden we'll have to carry ourselves," he said. Again, I nodded.

So that's what a half-human, half-angel baby was called...

"I know," I agreed. "Can I go get her now?" I asked after a beat of silence. He nodded and stood before offering me a hand off of the floor.

"You might want to clean your face first, 'happiest person in the world'. Your mascara smeared a bit," he alerted me. I nodded and then went to the bathroom to wash my red blotchy face until it was one color again. I went to the elevator and took it to the first floor while Luci went to his room. It was still within hearing distance so he had no problem with me going down by myself. I emerged on the floor and stepped out on a mission to find Rose. She was helping drag tables off of the floor. She stopped when she saw me.

"How are you feeling, Megs?" She asked as she reached a hand out towards my stomach. I swatted her hand away before anyone could know what she was reaching for.

"Follow me," I glared at her. She put her hands up in surrender before she followed me up the elevator at to the loft.

"Wow, nice digs. I was wondering when you were going to invite me over," she said as she looked around in amazement.

"Sorry, we've been kind of busy," I apologized.

"A full blown 'we', huh?" She wiggles her eyebrows at me. I scoffed and rolled my eyes.

"No one knows... about the baby yet. You have to keep it a secret for now. And you're probably going to see a lot of stuff pop up publicly about me. I need you, now more than ever," I said. She held my hands in hers and smiled lightly.

"I'm here if you need me," she promised.

"Also, she won't be working anymore," Luci said as he came out of his room in nothing but gym shorts. Rose stared at him with her mouth wide open.

"Okay, I see how you got pregnant now," Rose joked. I hit her arm lightly. Rose laughed and hugged me gently.

"I should head back down. I'll see you later, Megs," she said before she disappeared in the elevator. I sighed and turned to look at Luci.

"You said you would stay hidden," I pouted. He smiled and and closer before wrapping his arms around my waist and pulling me closer to him. My arms went around his neck.

"Yeah well... do you want to go out today or tomorrow?" He asked, changing the subject.

"I'm a little restless, so today I guess?" I answered. He smiled and pecked me gently.

"Go get dressed. Wear a med-length dress," he said. I sighed before I left to go shower. I washed from head to toe before blow drying and curling my hair.

Get yourself together, Megan. It's not the end of the world. You have Luci.

I put on light waterproof makeup just in case and made sure it was perfect. I wrapped my silk robe around me before making my way to my closet. I stopped in my tracks as I saw Luci standing in my bedroom in a suit. He looked like he walked straight off the pages of a fashion magazine. He smirked and held up a dress for me as he shrugged.

"I couldn't help myself," he admitted. He set the dress on the bed before coming closer to me. Slowly, he untied my robe and slid it off my shoulders, making it pool to the floor. His eyes drank me in as I stood in nothing but my underwear and bra.

"Now I remember how you got pregnant," he joked, picking up on Rose's words from earlier. I chuckled and pushed his shoulder back before I looked at the dress. It was a cute, navy blue dress with three quarter sleeves and a suit inspired neckline. Buttons went down the middle to a gold and pearl chain before the dress belled out to mid thigh. I slid it on and Luci zipped it up for me. He picked out a pair of matching heels, and a few bracelets.

"Last piece," he said, holding up the necklace he gave me from the premiere a few months ago. I turned my back towards him and held my hair out of the way. After he finished fastening the clasp, he took my hand in his, waffling our fingers together.

"Let's go for a walk," he said as he led me towards the elevator.