Chapter 30

The next day, Luci was already gone by the time I woke up. I showered and got dressed before I went to the kitchen. Michael already had toast, eggs and sausage plated and waiting for me. I sat on the bar stool and ate quietly as Michael places a glass of orange juice in front of me.

"Michael, you can tell if Luci is near or not, right?" I asked. Michael nodded. "Is he near us?" I followed up. Michael shook his head.

"He's at the club," Michael answered.

"Good. I wanted to talk to you about something," I admitted. Michael came around the counter and sat on the stool next to me.

"I suspected as much. You calmed down pretty fast yesterday," he said. "What is it?"

"A month from my due date, I want you to hide me from Luci. Make it so he can't find me until after I give birth. Is that possible?" I asked.

"You want to make it so he can't save you," Michael said in realization. I nodded. Michael sighed and ran a hand down his face.

"I could try, but you know as soon as he realizes that you're missing, he'll tear the world apart looking for you," Michael reminded me.

"Then whenever I feel like the time is getting close, I'll let you know and we'll leave then," I compromised. "I just need to be completely gone before he finds me," I said softly. Michael took my hand in his and squeezed it gently.

"I think that's wise," he agreed. "I'm not happy with your demise, but if the world loses Lucifer, chaos would ensue," he admitted. I sighed and let go of his hand before I continued my breakfast.

After I finished eating, Michael set my dishes aside and went with me to sit on the porch swing facing the backyard. My hands rested over my stomach as I watched the sky.

"Have you really grown fond of me, Michael? Do I now have to worry about you trying to save me?" I asked as we swung lazily. He chuckled.

"I have grown fond of you, and I want to protect you, but I know you would never agree to live at the cost of either of our lives. What's the point of living if you're filled with guilt like that? It would be torture for you because you're such a kindhearted person. I would never make you do anything you didn't want to do. I'll protect you, and watch over you quietly until the time comes. Then, I'll follow your requests," he explained.

"Will my baby be safe, even after she's born?" I asked. Michael nodded.

"After she is born, she'll give off a type of aura that is visible to the supernatural. When they see that it's pure, they'll give up theirs mission," he explained.

"Wait, so can you see it right now?" I asked curiously. He smiled lightly.

"That's how I knew from the start that she wasn't what they thought she was. But I was close enough to see it and I have an expert eye. Another creature might mistake it for your own aura. That's why it's imperative that she be born first," he answered. I nodded in understanding.

"What's heaven like?" I asked curiously. Michael smiled and relaxed as he stared at the sky.

"It's like a perfect, quiet little town. Everyone gets along, everyone loves everything... you can watch your loved ones peacefully and just relax," Michael answered.

"What about the angels?" I asked.

"I guess you can say that everyone there is an angel, but those who were created as angels and not humans are seen as elders. The elite, I guess. They kind of take on the role of policing the place and make sure everything runs smoothly," Michael answered. I wondered if I'd get to go there.

Hopefully...

We sat quietly for a moment, just enjoying the nice day. It was rare times like this where I actually had the silence necessary to think about things. Knowing what Luci was willing to do for me made my heart flutter and ache at the same time. I knew the dangerous game he wanted to play, and I couldn't let him do that. He meant too much to me.

"Lucifer is on his way back. I'll take time to find a place to hide for you," Michael announced. I nodded to him as he stood. He offered me a hand up. At six months pregnant, my belly suddenly exploded. I actually looked and felt pregnant now. It was getting harder to get up and down.

We walked back inside where we watched tv while waiting for Luci's return. All I could do at this point was act like nothing was wrong. If I could do that while Michael found a safe place, I could save Luci from himself.

"I'm home," Luci said as he came through the door. I turned to smile at him as he came into the living room. Michael stood with a yawn.

"Perfect timing. I've got to run to take care of something," Michael excused himself. Luci watched him leave before sitting next to me.

"What's up with him?" Luci asked. I shrugged.

"Your guess is as good as mine. He didn't tell me any of his plans," I lied. I knew exactly what Michael was doing. It was smart. Luci would stay here with me and not follow him.

"Have you eaten yet?" He asked. I shook my head. True, I'd been snacking all day, but I hadn't had a proper meal yet. Plus, I was hungry anyway. Luci moved to the kitchen to start cooking. I followed to sit on a bar stool and watch him. I would miss this: being with Luci. He always took good care of me from the very beginning.

"You're staring, you know," Luci smirked as he put a lid on the pot. I sighed before leaning back on the stool. Luci walked around the counter and kissed me gently before smiling.

"My reaction to you is getting better. The more I do it, the more I can control myself," he said. I chuckled and brought my hands to his neck.

"Then we should do it often," I smirked at him suggestively. He picked me up cradle style and ran to the bedroom with me in his arms.