Chapter 25

The day of our engagement party arrived. Luckily I was still holding onto my small frame so I wasn't showing in my lace, tea-length white dress. Luci was looking exceptionally stunning in a completely black suit ensemble. It was almost poetic. The venue was a hotel ballroom. There were events, announcements, speeches, dinner, and cake on the agenda. Luci made sure I got a full day of sleep before the party. I was going to need it. Luci and I sat at the table at the front of the room facing the rest of the venue. I held his hand tightly as people started coming in. Luci reached over and placed his free hand on my stomach briefly. It was something he did often.

"If you get tired or uncomfortable, let me know immediately," he said for the umpteenth time. I chuckled before pecking his cheek gently.

"I will, stop worrying. This is supposed to be fun," I said back to him. As people spilled into the venue, music began to play. The MC announced the start of the event and dinner was served. As champagne went around, the microphones were set up for the toasts. First up was Rose.

"Hello, I'm Rose McCalister and I am a friend of the bride to be. If you knew Megan before she met Louis, you would never think we would be at an engagement party right now," she chuckled. "Megan was the type to put her work and career before everything else. She didn't play around, and she certainly didn't entertain dating. But that's why Im so glad she met Louis. She's been happier than I've ever seen her, and watching them together makes my heart swell. Even though Louis technically took my best friend from me, I'm glad it was Louis. I know both Megan and Louis do everything they can to make the other happy, and knowing that is good enough for me. I love you, Megan, and I wish you all the best," she concluded. Her speech was sweet and thoughtful. It brought me to tears.

Next, a few of Luci's friends gave a toast, then my mom and sister gave a toast as well. I was surprised to see that the next person that walked up to give a toast was Sunni. I glanced at Luci to see he was already looking at me. He shook his head so I stayed quiet. His eyes turned to focus on Sunni. She stuttered at her start before she smiled.

"I was so shocked when I heard that Louis was engaged, Especially so quickly and to someone so random. You could ask anyone, he wasn't the settling down type and I would know. So a toast, to not lasting very long," she smiled as she raised her glass. No one reciprocated her toast as they looked around the room awkwardly. At first I was confused as to why Luci would even let her toast play out, but I think I understood when I saw flashing coming from the table of reporters. After Sunni downed what was in her glass and left, Luci stood with a microphone in his hand. He held his glass in his other hand.

"Everyone, thank you so much for coming out to the engagement party between myself and my, now fiancé, Megan. Over a short period of time, I'm come to fall completely and totally in love with the woman sitting next to me. With Megan, everything has a brighter hue. She allows me to be my true self without reservation or judgement. She approaches everything with a level of kindness and compassion I never seen before. And I love her with my whole heart. I can't wait to make you mine for the rest of our lives," he said. I was crying happy tears again, these darn hormones. Luci leaned over and pecked me gently before sitting back down. I expected him to hand the microphone to me next, but he didn't. The main MC took his place as the microphone stand was broken down.

"Okay everyone, raise your glasses for the final toast to the happy bride and groom to be," he said. We all raised our glasses with a 'cheers' before we sipped our flutes. I spit my drink back into my cup when I realized that it was actually champagne. I was expecting apple cider like last time. Luci was quick to react. He handed me a napkin and brought over the nearest waiter to take my glass away.

"Are you okay?" He asked as he handed me a glass of water. I nodded before sipping on the water.

"It was actually champagne," I said softly to him. He tipped the water back to my lips as all of his attention was on me. It made me blush. "It was only a little bit, I should be fine," I said quickly. He nodded before he sat back in his seat.

"All that's left is the cake," he reminded me. The MC called the cake out and Louis and I stood beside the cake and held the knife together with his hand wrapped around mine. We guided the knife to cut the cake as everyone clapped. I smiled at Luci as I put a little icing on my finger to put it on the tip of his nose. He was quick to get me back. After setting our slices aside, Luci pecked me gently before the cake was taken to the back to be cut and distributed. We went back to our seats and ate our cake. It was actually really good. Finally, the event came to a close as people started leaving. I let out a breath as the room finally emptied of guests. Luci took my hand and we went outside. I sighed as I looked at the night sky. Who knew parties could be so draining. Luci scooped me up suddenly, making me gasp as I clutched him tightly.

"Let's go for a walk," he said with a smile. He walked with me in his arms and stopped when we reached a secluded area. He checked around him before smirking at me.

"I told you I would take you flying," he said before his wings ripped through his suit.

"But your suit," I said worried as I wrapped my arms around his neck. He shrugged before his wings flapped, pulling us off the ground. I clung to him tightly as I glanced down. We were already so far from the ground. Luci pointed himself in a direction and we flew over the city. Initially, I was wary of the height, but I soon relaxed and enjoyed the ride. watching the city from above like this was what I imagined being in a helicopter would be like. We eventually landed on the roof of the District where Luci finally set me down on my own feet.

"It's a pretty night," I said softly as I laid down on the roof and looked up. I wasn't worrying about messing up my dress since we were home anyway.

"I'm sure someone will say something about spitting out the champagne tonight, but it's alright. It'll create the suspense for when we tell Ellen our big news," Luci said as he sat next to me. His wings vanished as his arms hung over his legs.

"I still can't believe I'm pregnant. I mean, yeah I feel drained all the time and have occasional morning sickness, but the fact that I actually have a baby in my stomach hasn't settled in yet," I admitted. Luci moved his head to my stomach and placed an ear against it.

"There's a baby in there alright. The heartbeat is strong. How far along do you think you are?" He asked.

"I think I'm maybe 10 or 12 weeks along," I answered. "I did a calculation online but I should really go see a doctor. We should be able to tell the gender at 16 weeks," I said with a sigh. Luci moves his head from my stomach.

"Come on, let's get you to bed. I know you're exhausted," he said. I took a breath before I sat up. Luci scooped me up again before carrying me down to the loft.