twenty-two: butterflies

Taehyung's house was, as expected, big and beautiful. It wasn't as luxurious as Jeongguk's where it seemed like it had been pulled out of a futuristic sci-fi movie, but more traditional in a sense. More homey. At the entrance, there was a cute little park with bicycles randomly on the ground in a unorganized manner, yet it fit in the picture. Little toys rested in the (now frozen) small sand bank — Taehyung did mention he had a set of younger brothers. Their family was big, six whole people and another on the way. Even thought it was less than the Jeon's family when including their helpers, Jeongguk always felt his home to be so empty. Here, as soon as Jeongguk entered the house after Taehyung unlocked it, he felt the presence of everyone. The air was warm and filled with a delicious scent.

All eyes were on them as they froze in their positions, the father turning his head while keeping his hand steady on the pot, the mother with a sandal in her hand aimed up in the air, the two brothers with their hands tangled in their sisters hair who stopped mid-scream but mouth still wide open — they all stopped. That is until the twins released Hana from the pain and ran over to give Taehyung a hug.

Both clutched onto each of his legs while they screamed, "Hyung! Where'd you go? Noona was so mean!"

"Those devils," Hana growled from the side. "Oppa! I was supposed to be hanging out with my friends today! How could you leave me with these dev– I mean, the boys. Umm, hehe, hello, Jeongguk-oppa. How are you?"

Mrs. Kim immediately dropped the sandal, and wiped her hands on her apron before rushing over to the two boys at the door stuck in a state of shock. "Oh, Taehyung-ah, you're back! Haru, Taerin, let go of your brother. Well, who's this? A friend? I've never seen him before."

Taehyung ruffled the twins hair as they let go with a pout before running away to find something else to entertain them. The two six-year olds' moods swing faster than a rocket. The silver-head stepped in further so that he could close the door. "Yeah, mom, this is my friend. He's been over when you were at work, I haven't gotten the chance to introduce him to you. Jeon Jeongguk."

Jeongguk looked back and forth from Taehyung and his mom before realizing he should say something. "Oh! Uhm, nice to meet you!" he said, and in a quick awkward bow.

"Ah, yes, welcome. Come in, sit down," She lead the boys to the kitchen and had them sit on the stools placed with the island.

"I got your milk, dad," Taehyung said, placing the bag on the countertop. His dad said a thank you, but couldn't help notice the bandaids around his arms and face, and so did his mother.

"So, you boys had a rumble of some kind?" Mr. Kim asked, going back to the pot. "Also, Tannie went on that puppy vacation you planned. He was upset you weren't there to send him off yesterday."

"No, we were just trying to stop it. You know about the friend I told you at the hospital who was pulled into the fight. We tried to interfere and got a few hits," Taehyung lied, and boy was he good at it. It went so smoothly and causally, must have years of experience. "I'll apologize to Tannie when he comes back."

"What kind of rowdy boys were after your friend?" Mrs. Kim mumbled, before clapping her hand. "Any-who! Jeongguk, I hope you're joining us for dinner tonight. Tae's dad is making the spaghetti he's been promising us for months. It's been a while since I've had Italian food."

"Actually, could Jeongguk sleep over for a few days?" Taehyung asked.

His parents shared a questioning look before asking the usual questions of how long and if Jeongguk's parents were okay with it, as well as it being school days, but Taehyung answered accordingly saying they actually planned the sleepover to plan a school event Principal Lee had entrusted to the two. He had managed to persuade them.